• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. (August 2013)

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a new monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the later questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls....

My wife came up with this question,
based on a SHTF scenario...

If you could only keep 2 guns, based on only what you own at the present time, which 2 would it be?

Obviously we need to have you explain which 2 and why in your post.

Just for arguments sake...I'll make it tough. No permanent home. Caves yes possibly. If you can find one. If any one has seen the tv show Falling Skies on Sundays..(My wife, Mrs.Ripjack came up with this QOTM)..I think her idea was based on that . They did have houses...but it was temporary. They had to move frequently.

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement.

I've thought about this one quite a few times.... And it's a tough one!

I think I would go with my Ruger 10/22 and the 590a1....the 10/22 would be able to put food on the table, I can carry thousands of rounds compared to a few hundred with centerfire, and it will kill many things with well placed shots.

The 12 gauge pump is a shoulder fired cannon... Devastating within 50 yards... Versatile with different ammo.... Reliable under almost all conditions...and will protect you from dogs to humans all the way up to brown bears...pretty much a no brainier!

is this to be packing with you all the time?.....like everyone just turned nomadic or do we still have homes or caves or what because I'm probably not packing two long guns

oli700 said:
is this to be packing with you all the time?.....like everyone just turned nomadic or do we still have homes or caves or what because I'm probably not packing two long guns

That's a good point, and I'd probably have to re-evaluate my choices... man, can't we make it 3? I could totally survive with just the M&P9, the AR 15 with a .22 conversion or upper and the 590... case closed :lol:

Just for arguments sake...I'll make it tough. No permanent home. Caves yes possibly. If you can find one. If any one has seen the tv show Falling Skies on Sundays...I think her idea was based on that . They did have houses...but it was temporary. They had to move frequently.

AR-15 and CZ75 SP-01

common ammo and the its a good balance of firepower per ammo weight and bulk

Stainless Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle and Browning Hi-Power. I think a handgun is required because you can so easily carry and access it when needed. Also, the same reasons as Oli stated:
oli700 said:
common ammo and the its a good balance of firepower per ammo weight and bulk

I did debate keeping the 10/22 just because it's lighter and I could keep more ammo.

If I wasn't on the move and could stay hunkered down I might trade the Hi-Power for my 590A1.

carbinemike said:

If I wasn't on the move and could stay hunkered down I might trade the Hi-Power for my 590A1.

yeah me too.....but I am to the point with my CZ I could probably take a deer at 50 yards with it , couple shots.......I can hit 10 inch gongs at 50 yards off hand no problem so, its a keeper for SHTF.

oli700 said:
I can hit 10 inch gongs at 50 yards off hand no problem so, its a keeper for SHTF.

Nice. You have me beat for reaching out with a handgun.

My savage model 10 in .308 and my Mossberg 500. The shotty is a very versatile weapon. Relatively easy to carry. And i like the long range comfort of the .308. Will probably be travelling in groups so there will be other handguns to support close range combat. And smaller rifles for hunting.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Since it is only 2 I would have to say, my Glock 17 and my 500 SPX. If I could have 3 I would go Glock 17, AR15 and 500 SPX. That would cover everything out to a good 300 yards and beyond if I do my part.

With just to 2 I would be covered up to 100 yards for sure.

Stag1 said:
untill you got in a gun fight with someone that has an AR 15, Mini 14, AK 47 ect......lol.
Shotguns are awesome but not the best choice for battle, capacity and ammo bulk and weight per shot being the Achilles heal of the shotgun

That's a tough one. Glock & AK are simple with minimal maintenance. A .22 would allow game collection with the least chance of detection & easy ammo carry. A shotgun might be a good choice for game getting and defense, but rounds are bulky & heavy. A lot would depend on environment, mobility, # members in group, and situation, urban, field, and terrain. Out here in the West, with what I have on hand; I would go with my G21 and an AK.

Based on SHTF scenario and I assume my family is coming with me and we are nomadic, I'm taking my daughter's 10/22 Take down (she's 12 and loves that thing) and my AR with .22 conversion. Allows reach with .223 in the AR and commonality of ammo with the conversion, and everybody in the family could shoot it (except the 2 year old). Plus, both have optics and iron sights provides for some redundancy. Not perfect, but as good as I can get it in two guns.

oli700 said:
Stag1 said:
untill you got in a gun fight with someone that has an AR 15, Mini 14, AK 47 ect......lol.
Shotguns are awesome but not the best choice for battle, capacity and ammo bulk and weight per shot being the Achilles heal of the shotgun

That's what makes this scenario hard and unrealistic really. It wont matter if you run into someone with a AR-15, AK47 or RPG, you will be dead soon. My theory is, if I can only have 2 firearms then I take what I said. My first thing would be to find shelter that offers the best possible protection and hunker in.

A shotgun offers the best all around then any other firearm. You can hunt small and large game and provide decent defense up to and sometimes beyond 100 yards. A 22LR would be good for small game, but that is pretty much it, sure you can carry a lot of ammo, but I would take my chances if I was in a battle with my shotgun or even my 9mm, against a 22LR all day any day. Sure a AR15, AK47 would beat the crap out of me, but they would be limited in food they can hunt. I would stay in my cave and wait for them to die out and take their rifle. Now the scenario changes completely since I have 3 firearms :)

We can go all day long on what would be the best 2 weapons to have, but the possibility of picking the best 2 would be at the same odds of someone winning the Powerball lottery. ;)

The question is a bit general. I looked at it as if I was heading out the door forever and could only take two guns. I would certainly be looking to hook up with like minded folks and also for a place to hunker down too. In a situation where everyone was in the same mode, most would probably die.

Stag1 said:
A 22LR would be good for small game, but that is pretty much it, sure you can carry a lot of ammo, but I would take my chances if I was in a battle with my shotgun or even my 9mm, against a 22LR all day any day.

To each his own Stag1. I would disagree on this one. Their is a reason combat troops primarily carry a rifle instead of a shotgun. We have a 10/22 with a 1x red dot along with 25 round mags (and one double 25 rounder you need to flip end for end). Fast shooting physical targets that move with each hit (like plastic bottles), it's amazing how with the low recoil new targets can by accurately acquired and shot again, moving from one to the next over and over. Not to denigrate the shotgun because I love my 590A1 but the little 10/22 is very quick and accurate. It does lack firepower versus most guns, that's why I picked my Mini 14 to take. It's almost as quick on target and has more power. If my family is with me that 10/22 will be in my boys hands.

Oh, I love my little 22, I just don't think personally that it would provide enough benefits to haul around and take the place of something more multifunctional. Like I have said, ideally I would like to have a handgun, shotgun and rifle(AR15, AK47/74)

I would still take my chances on a 22LR vs Shotgun battle though ;)

Yes I know it can be totally unrealistic, but it gets you thinking. Which ones. Not just "oh I'll take a rifle...shotty...and my glock."

Pickin 2 is harder than it seems.

I like the reasons you each have. And which 2....
but when it comes down to it...is it really that unrealistic? Who can say?
But if it does happen.....you guys who have answered will be ahead of the game.....

That's is what is great about this forum! You can have a difference, yet still respect the other persons opinion.

After some more thinking, the 2 that I would like to have is a Tank and shotgun. That way I have my cave (heavily armored), a long distance gun and a short distance gun :twisted: :lol:

Except, I havent purchased that Abrams yet :)

Back