• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. (August 2013)

I'm going to cheat a little bit on this answer:

I'm grabbing my VZ-58 and my glock 26.

My wife is grabbing the moss 500 and the Xdm 9mm.

My son is grabbing the 10/22 and p22.

We'll have most of our bases covered and in a SHTF scenario. I'm not leaving without my family. They'll be with me at all times.

Stag- good outline of the scenario. I think that tradeoffs have to be recognized if you are changing out weapons. 10/22s are great, but the 22lr ballistics are weak, so you need more rounds....even though you can carry more. So in your scenario, instead of only having to shoot 10x .223 rounds, you have to shoot 100x .22lr rounds...and still maybe not win. It becomes a math problem of weight (number of rounds to do the job) vs. amount of risk. And, if I can only bring two guns with me, I'm carrying both, never know what kind of varmints you are going to run into :)

And you'd run out of gas in an Abrams long before you got to anywhere.... :/

Roberto_1029 said:
want one, almost got one couple days ago......made a grown up decision and finally ordered a gun safe.....will get one some day

zagmp03 said:
And you'd run out of gas in an Abrams long before you got to anywhere.... :/

hmmm, maybe I should opt for the more eco friendly tanks, the M2 Bradley. 30 tons vs 70 tons. :lol:

Roberto_1029 said:

We'll have most of our bases covered and in a SHTF scenario. I'm not leaving without my family. They'll be with me at all times.

It's not cheating. It's thinking outside the box. The question was referring to "You" as in, you means just you, not just your whole group. So you, your wife, and your kids can also take 2. But..only 2. I left it open to interpretation. Like Lazy Eyed Sniper's answer, He's just bringing 2, but a Bow as well to hunt with. There by saving his boolits for needed scenarios....

:geek:

Stag1 said:
You are out hunting small game with your 22LR, you shoot at a rabbit around 50 yards away. He goes straight down, Alright nice shot!, as you start to retrieve tonights dinner, you are found out by a gang of 5 looking for easy pickings. You think to yourself, I wish I had my AR-15 with me, but you only have your 22LR, you take cover as they start shooting at you. You return fire and even hit a couple, but due to they weak ballistics of a 22LR it only slows them down, but they still keep coming. Would you win and survive with just the 22LR, not very likely but it would be possibleSurvival Outcome: 1/2 out of 5

My original picks, which I haven't changed, were my Mini14 (.223/5.56) and Browning Hi-Power in 9mm. In the you scenario you listed I would definitely want the Mini14 (over my 590A1 or 10/22) to face off with 5 guys. If they were determined I would likely lose regardless of the weapon. Even if I got 2 or 3 the numbers put the odds against me. I would actually not be trying to fight it out with them unless it was a last option. I would be shooting to keep them at bay and try for an escape. Thinking about it further, if the Mini was not available, I would choose the 10/22 next to engage multiple targets quickly that are likely coming from several directions. I have capacity for it to fire 150 rounds without reloading a mag. Again, while trying to escape. If I'm trapped in, no escape, they are getting closer and closer give me the 590A1 and my bandolier loaded with 00. If I run out of ammo I'll kick myself for getting the shorter barrel 590A1 since I can't throw a bayonet on it. :D I'll have to use it as a club.

Back to the .22LR, I think if you hit someone in the arm or leg it may slow or limit them versus a hit in the arm or leg from a .223 or 12 gauge which would be far worse. I think a hit to the head or torso from a .22LR would likely remove them from the equation. I think the .22 has more lethality than it gets credit for.

You guys know that Ripjack is diabolical. If we could have picked 3 guns to take this wouldn't be a problem! :lol:

If anyone is interested, check out the book Patriots by James Wesley, Rawles. It's about preppers when the economy collapses. You will realize how unprepared you are. He wrote a second book, Survivors. It runs concurrently with the first book but the characters were not quite as prepared and you see how that affects them and they have it tougher.

It is more lethal than you'd think. A 22 has a fast spin and can go haywire inside the body chewing your organs up. It doesn't always happen like that but a good potential to.

at the risk of bringing actual personal experience into the conversation, another friend dropped a .22 single six in some rocks hunting. It went off (old Ruger no plate) and he caught one in the chest, lung to be more specific. It gave him a sucking chest wound and he couldn't hike out or anything, incapacitated him and needed to be packed out o a litter.......he was a Marine and triaged himself and everything he was trained to do but still he was not functional .
My wife doesn't shoot much, big firearms scare her, she has a 10/22 and she can empty a 25 round mag on a 10 inch plate at 50 yards in about 4 seconds without a miss......I wouldn't want to be the recipient.
most people would probably die from exposure or thirst before they got to use their weapons anyway especially the ones who decide to flee the city, now back to fantasy island

carbinemike said:
Back to the .22LR, I think if you hit someone in the arm or leg it may slow or limit them versus a hit in the arm or leg from a .223 or 12 gauge which would be far worse. I think a hit to the head or torso from a .22LR would likely remove them from the equation. I think the .22 has more lethality than it gets credit for.

Mike, you bring up a very good point and I agree that the little 22 can be an awesome cartridge. How about a compromise of using a 22 WMR or 17HMR. not those can be some really explosive rounds :)

carbinemike said:
You guys know that Ripjack is diabolical. If we could have picked 3 guns to take this wouldn't be a problem! :lol:
Signature material right there... :twisted:

oli700 said:
at the risk of bringing actual personal experience into the conversation, another friend dropped a .22 single six in some rocks hunting. It went off (old Ruger no plate) and he caught one in the chest, lung to be more specific. It gave him a sucking chest wound and he couldn't hike out or anything, incapacitated him and needed to be packed out o a litter.......he was a Marine and triaged himself and everything he was trained to do but still he was not functional .
Thanks for the real life example Oli. I hope that pal made it out ok in the end. My only personal example to go with was that my father in law killed himself with a .22. I don't wish that week on my worst enemy.

oli700 said:
My wife doesn't shoot much, big firearms scare her, she has a 10/22 and she can empty a 25 round mag on a 10 inch plate at 50 yards in about 4 seconds without a miss......I wouldn't want to be the recipient.
That sounds about like my boy. I can't believe how fast and accurate he is even when going from target to target.

I'm glad we are at Fantasy Island now. I'd rather discuss it this way than live it out if possible although a SHTF scenario seems more likely to me now than it did 20 years ago.

ripjack13 said:
Roberto_1029 said:

It's not cheating. It's thinking outside the box. The question was referring to "You" as in, you means just you, not just your whole group. So you, your wife, and your kids can also take 2. But..only 2. I left it open to interpretation. Like Lazy Eyed Sniper's answer, He's just bringing 2, but a Bow as well to hunt with. There by saving his boolits for needed scenarios....

:geek:

Hello.
I was thinking just 2 guns. Per family. Not 2 per family member, but since you're the boss (here) I'll let you get away with that one. I enjoyed reading the various ways you boys think about things. Marc was telling me how much attention this question was getting and I just wanted to see.
I find that some of your posts are indeed commendable. Keep up the good work. :D

Michele

Mrs.ripjack said:
[...... but since you're the boss (here) I'll let you get away with that one.

And so the gauntlet has been relaid, Ripjack. Just in case there was any question...

The problem with fantasy is when it turns to reality.

Re:

ripjack13 said:
Oh snap!! I've been outed!! :lol:

And I think she'll be checking up on you to see what new guns/accessories you've bought and bragged about on the page...that's why I don't show my wife which message boards I visit! :cool:

It's all good bro. As long as we are caught up on our bills....she has no prob with me getting what I want... :)

^ Amen to that brother!

Around here the Mrs. and the bills get taken care of first. After that, the rest is fair game...

Back