• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. (August 2013)

I keep checking in on this to see what people are picking and it has made me think even more. I think my choices would vary based on where I was at the time. My needs in guns would be slightly different if I was at the cabin when SHTF vs. being at home.

MikeD said:
I keep checking in on this to see what people are picking and it has made me think even more. I think my choices would vary based on where I was at the time. My needs in guns would be slightly different if I was at the cabin when SHTF vs. being at home.

Then post up both answers... ;)

Scenario: Stock market has collapsed, 80-90% of wealth is lost. Hyper inflation starts to set in. Big cities are becoming chaos with looting and murder at all time highs. Gas, is $50.00 a gallon if you can find it. Loaf of bread is going for $25.00, all food has increased 250 to 500%. You decide that its time to head for the country before you become a statistic of the great Obumer depression. Its only you, you sent your wife and kids off to the country last week.

Felt like I was reading the intro to a suspense thriller or script for T.V. mini-series pilot.
Wow. Scary close to reality.

um... remember when I said 'scary close to reality?'

yeah.

"The crisis is imminent," Schiff said.

"I don't think Obama is going to finish his second term without the bottom dropping out. And stock market investors are oblivious to the problems."

"I think we are heading for a worse economic crisis than we had in 2007," Schiff said.
"You're going to have a collapse in the dollar...a huge spike in interest rates... and our whole economy, which is built on the foundation of cheap money, is going to topple when you pull the rug out from under it."

Schiff says that, despite "phony" signs of an economic recovery, the cancer destroying America stems from a lethal concoction of our $16 trillion federal debt and the Fed's never ending money printing.

http://moneymorning.com/ob-article/schi ... ?code=3243

I'm heading out to find more ammo and camping supplies... and water. Got to get a couple 55 gal drums to fill with water.

Come to think of it, my house is easy pickin's. Big sliding glass door opens to the back yard. Won't do much to slow down a marauding herd of angry Section 8's from the neighborhood next door. :shock:

Everyone's wrong from time to time...let's just hope he is too...but I would love to see Obunghole impeached..

It would have to be my Mossberg 500 12Ga. with the short barrel and my Remington R1. I would then have all my ammo for both on my back,on my wifes back and on my dogs backs.And bug out to a valley thats difficult to see from land and air...

Nice. You should post up pix of those badboys in the gallery. I'd love to see the r1....

I've held off replying to this for various reasons but the reading has been very thought provoking. This thread should into the MO Hall of Fame.

If I had many weapons at my disposal, and if I had my choice of those weapons, I would pick a 9mm and an AR platform. If I had any other scoped weapons, the scopes would make the trip as well (optics can get banged up). The rest would be buried in the event I can make it back home at some point. I will cheat a bit and also take one of my hunting bows and all the arrows/broadheads I can carry (it's not a firearm... ;) )

9mm ammo is generally plentiful and easily packed. The AR is versatile and in the .223/5.56 version generally readily available. If the SHTF I would imagine that there very well may be a few found lying around...not everyone can win. With the AR most parts are interchangeable (if the same caliber)...magazines can be plentiful, too.

The biggest problem with the 9mm (or any handgun) is magazines. Every model uses a different type. They are not interchangeable. If you lose them, you can't just pick one up off the ground. So magazine management becomes as important as ammo management. This isn't going to be like the movies where magazines pop up out of thin air and there is an endless supply in a firefight (just like those unlimited transmission gears in car chase scenes...LOL). Lose all of them and you have a short handled club good for breaking open coconuts.

One of the biggest problems I foresee is not the zombies from the city but trying to get to your designated area and not getting shot by those doing the same thing. Everyone will be in survival mode and it will be shoot or be shot. Chaos will reign supreme at first and unless you have a crystal ball you may find yourself far from your home, cut off from the very things being discussed here. One of the things I think about is getting out of the city if I'm at work even if it is not a full blown SHTF scenario. 18 miles through mostly "enemy" turf is going to be tough navigate.

Got a little off track, I guess. Brain is working faster than I can type this morning...must be the coffee

For quiet use - my silent hunter ... 25 cal Benjamin Marauder air rifle. I can carry 1000 rounds in my back pockets! lol. About the same thump as a 22lr.(my MVP is a little too loud). Next up is tough....but it would be some kind of high powered convertible 'hand gun to stocked rifle like gun' thing. Just Trying to cover close in and that pesky 50-200yds range. (am I dreaming?? Maybe)

My second gun came from that 'thinking thing' mentioned above...so I was thinking and I remembered I had a dream about owning that 'convertible gun thing'. Maybe that's outside of the 'two gun box'
RipJack and his diabolical other half put us in ?

If moderators are permitted...then I will obviously re-submit ! Haha I forgot, I don't own any..

Cheers...Tye

Dreams don't count bro...and neither does the bb gun.

The question was....If you could only keep 2 guns, based on only what you own at the present time, which 2 would it be?
Guns...meaning firearms.....

Move along kid. Nothing to see here. :p

:lol: :lol:

HaHaha...you wouldn't be making those haha's if you accidentally got hit by a 1000fps 25 cal piece of lead...now would ya? LOL OK OK I'll re-submit.....are moderators permitted or does that blowup the two gun box? Hehe I'm workin' the stealthy angle...

Cheers,

Tye

My new selections are, after shooting myself in the eye last time, my mossy MVP 'V' for food and 50-200 yard trouble and my P95 9 mil for close in work.

I've got a 308 but doesn't seem to fit this box and my 10/22 and mrk III aren't any better than my so called 'BB' gun and they're much more position revealing too!

Cheers,

Tye

Tye said:
My new selections are, after shooting myself in the eye last time, my mossy MVP 'V' for food and 50-200 yard trouble and my P95 9 mil for close in work.

I've got a 308 but doesn't seem to fit this box and my 10/22 and mrk III aren't any better than my so called 'BB' gun and they're much more position revealing too!

Cheers,

Tye

No, I agree that a 1000 fps piece of anything will hurt, and if properly placed, kill. But putting yourself in the scenario presented I'm not sure that would be the wisest choice, especially with your other selections. But your response made everyone think about. That's good in my book...

You are probably right....I was just thinking. Stealth and the element of surprise would be really attractive in this situation....It seems to work in the movies all the time lol

Cheers Archer !

Tye

Digging this one up, I've enjoyed the responses.

My choice right now is an easy one. I have only the 500 Persuader and 20" 835.

I have lots of ammo and understand carrying it is an issue but if its all I've got I guess I'll have to get with and figure it out.

Having a lot of ammo and no way to move it safely is definitely a problem. How many people nationwide have stockpiled ammo in the event it goes the way of dinosaurs but never gave any thought about where and how to move if it became necessary? Eventually, no matter how careful you are, someone else will find it.

Back