1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Question Of The Month. (December 2019) (Gun Sanctuaries)

Discussion in 'Question of the Month' started by carbinemike, Dec 3, 2019.

1. carbinemike

carbinemike Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

Howdy,
    This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls...

Will Second Amendment Sanctuary Counties make a difference or are they just a symbolic statement.

(Second Amendment Sanctuaries are counties that refuse to use local police officers to enforce state or federal gun laws that they view as unConstitutional.)
    ripjack13 and meanstreak like this.
  2. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter "Philanthropist"

I would like to think sanctuary counties would make a difference, but I don't hold my breath. If I worked 200 miles from a sanctuary county it would be difficult to move there. However, if I were to enter the country illegally I would head straight for a sanctuary city.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    ripjack13 likes this.
  3. Bobster

Bobster .30-06 Supporter

I think 2A Sanctuary Counties will work if the trend continues. Strength in numbers. But there may be "moles" brainwashed in the academy that need to be coaxed into towing the line...
    meanstreak and ripjack13 like this.
  4. oli700

oli700 12g Supporter "Philanthropist"

yet to be seen .......I believe SAPO started in Oregon and spread to other states . Because other states are in the boat now. So far its just a statement and we have many counties in it at this point.
    You guys back East are starting to see , like I said here years ago........no state is immune I about crapped when I heard the about Kentucky and Virginia becoming blue states
    meanstreak and ripjack13 like this.
  5. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator Supporter "Philanthropist"

The notion that you can have a locality void a state law by declaring yourself a sanctuary is probably not going to hold up in court. But laws, at the end of the day, need somebody to enforce them. Cops and local sheriffs who make laws they don't like their lowest priority aren't doing anything illegal, but their decision effectively nullifies the laws in question.
    Second Amendment sanctuaries might be an effective way to resist gun control legislation and aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I hope it sends a message to the authoritarian control freaks.
    meanstreak likes this.
  6. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ 12g Supporter

It's like the story about throwing a starfish back into the water: "It mattered to that one."

Here in our county it matters.

Our sheriff supports the 2A, and a CCW is generally available, but in many others lack of the CCW issues is the least of offences. If I lived closer to the coast, ammo or gun stores would be generally unavailable in many towns. Cities simply don't approve the stores for a license, citing some vague and general public sentiment.
    meanstreak likes this.
  7. carbinemike

carbinemike Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

Virginia democrats are starting to make threats against the sanctuary counties.

meanstreak likes this.
  8. meanstreak

When today's Democrats have control the constitution no longer matters. They want to rule with an iron hand. Only the laws that fit their agenda matter to them.
  9. Scoop

Scoop .30-06

Will Second Amendment Sanctuary Counties make a difference or are they just a symbolic statement?

About 2 weeks ago I started doing research on sanctuary counties... and cities and towns. But the raw data was sort of meaningless. Face it -- a SanCo in CA is perhaps more significant than one in a conservative state like here in TN. But it is still CA, and nothing is permanent in politics. I expect sanctuary status in many CA counties will be ephemeral.

All of our last 3 sheriffs have declared this county a de facto Sanctuary County by stating that they would not allow such things as seizure or confiscation. They have supported gun owners by declaring they would deputize armed citizens if need be to preserve peace and back the 2nd Amendment.

So actual declaration of sanctuary status may not mean much to me. I would hate to have to have a perpetual threat of seizure and confiscation over my head, so I will not live in certain states like IL, NY, CA. Wouldn't go to those state even into a SanCo. Things can change real fast.
    meanstreak likes this.
  10. Bobster

Bobster .30-06 Supporter

For now they are a statement. The difference would come if a big-head governor or mayor wants to force his/her hand and pit law enforcer against national guard/state police. I think what would happen before that is the governor would relieve the sheriff of his/her duties and install a political pawn in place that would remove the 2a sanctuary...
    meanstreak likes this.
  11. meanstreak

Bobster, I think you are spot on. These governors, mayors, and city managers et al. know how the local law enforcement heads lean. They would try to remove them before actually proceeding with enforcement.
  12. Ghmann

Ghmann .270 WIN

I actually think sanctuary counties are having an effect in Virginia. It's close to 80% of the counties now. In Texas, there are a few sanctuary counties. Those, for the time being, are mostly symbolic.
    meanstreak likes this.
  13. Scoop

Scoop .30-06

I'd like to know if you are right [I sure hope so] in light of this headline.

Virginia Governor Northam Increases Corrections Budget In Anticipation Of Jailing Gun Owners

As if Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam’s wholesale attack on law-abiding gun owners wasn’t enough, the disgraced public official and his Michael Bloomberg-bought allies in the General Assembly now want the state’s hard-working taxpayers to foot the bill for their unconstitutional schemes. The budget bill (HB30) includes an appropriation of a quarter million dollars to carry out a host of gun control measures that Northam and his anti-gun allies hope to enact.

The $250,000 is appropriated to the Corrections Special Reserve Fund in order to provide for the “increase in the operating cost of adult correctional facilities resulting from the enactment” of Northam’s gun control measures. Among the enumerated laws that this allocation is meant to fund is a ban on commonly-owned semi-automatic firearms, the criminalization of private firearms transfers, and gun confiscation orders issued without due process.
    meanstreak likes this.
  14. Ghmann

Ghmann .270 WIN

I looked up the definition of tyrant in the dictionary and there was a picture of Northram as an example.
    meanstreak likes this.
  15. meanstreak

These are the very kind of acts the founders had in mind.
    Ghmann likes this.