• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month... (February 2015)

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the later questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls...

The feds (read: police) can’t guarantee your safety. Especially when we’re talking about those, scumbags.
So, are you upping your own plans to protect you and yours? Avoiding large crowds? Upping awareness in malls? Prepping? Or are you just going through your usual daily routine?

Are you ready for a terrorist attack?

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement. :D

Nope, not ready for an attack on my neighborhood. Not prepared. Not avoiding any areas in particular. If the SHTF, it will happen in the cities and the goblins will burn them down once government collapses and can no longer provide for them. Once the goblins start to venture out of the cities, patriots will protect their towns and homesteads, as necessary... ;)

BUT: I AM ever vigilant, keep an AR and 500 in my trunk and 26 by my side. Keep buying/making ammo my brothers and sisters!

Great question rip.

Lot's of conversation about "bug-out" gear and plans, but this question is more crucial to survival. I've said it before, you'll never be more prepared than you are right now or at any given moment of any day. You can never count on being at home when it all goes sideways.

EDC has taken on a whole new level over the past few years. I stay loaded and ready to go at all times. Food and water for two days, plus shelter, fire starter, water purification, etc. are in my vehicle everyday. Not to mention a 9mm and 5.56 pistol and a couple hundred rounds each. Don't know if I'm ready, but I'm more prepared than most...

Hell no I'm not ready for a terrorist attack. No one is ever "ready" for it, thats why its a terrorist attack. To be ready for something means your anticipating. To be ready you would have to be locked, loaded, and on target, wherever you perceive that target to appear. And of course we all can't sit staring through our optics, scanning the horizon waiting for the terrorists to appear. Day in day out. That being said, am I prepared? Maybe not as much as some. I won't be bugging out, I'll be bugging in. If terrorists were to strike the modestly sized city I work in, unless they hit the shop I'm working in, worst case scenario I have to hike 12 miles home. Should have no problem making that in a couple hours, with the essentials I keep on hand. I rarely travel, I hardly ever attend events in metro areas, therefore I feel my chances of being involved in a terrorist attack are about as good as hitting the lottery. Should they decide to start going door to door, in rural Indiana, I may be outnumbered. But I sure won't be outgunned, and absolutely will not go down easily.

Hopefully, of the shtf, I am at my shop. I have everything I need to survive for a month there. It is a concrete tilt up building, high up in a hill over looking a large area. My truck has clothes for different weather, water, basic weapons and survival gear as well as tools.
I have not and will not alter my daily routine, I have 2 businesses and on some days travel 100 miles round trip in Los angeles. There is a glock 30 always at the ready with me, extra BOO LETS in the truck.
If hords of people, bad guys etc came to my shop, eventually they could get me, but, I will dam sure be able to take a lot of them before that ever happened. from my roof I can pick anyone off as they come from distance, and there is a ton of ammo and things to put it in, in the shop.

I do need to put some basic food in my truck, and a roof mounted 50 caliber.

Who knows when or where the next "attack" will be or from which direction it will come from. You can't go around prepared 100% for a terrorist attack because to do so you may be mistaken for a terrorist. So, no, I'm not prepared.

However, to answer the other questions:

Yes, I disdain large crowds and avoid them when possible. Malls seem to be a magnet for stupid people with guns and a grudge so I turn the "radar" up a notch or two when in/around one. More than likely an "attack" will be from a jilted lover, a jealous significant other or, as happened near here, a gang related hit over a pair of sneakers or a jacket. Tough to be prepared for that kind of instantaneous act of violence.

Situational awareness is what is needed; a quick "how the hell do I get out of here?" plan and a self defense posture that ignores the seemingly ever present "no guns" signs. The old axiom of run away to fight another day comes to mind.

If we let the "terrorists" keep us from our daily routine (which BTW is far different than it was a just few years ago because of these "attacks") then they have won part of the battle, haven't they?

Am I ready for a terrorist attack? Who really is? I'm a former GI Joe working as a DAC in a country surrounded by terrorists (Germany). We are kept well-informed of threats (maybe) and potential hotspots and we receive training on how to minimize vulnerability but that doesn't make me ready. Am I prepared? Yes, as much as I can be. No matter where I am or what I'm doing, I take a few minutes to conceive a plan of action. Since we are not allowed to carry here, I have to use my noggin. I have to rely on the in-depth training and the skills I developed while on AD. Under most circumstances, I believe I can still out think, out manuever or out flank the 'average' terrorist. Now should I be near my living quarters...well I'm a hunter and sports shooter with an array of weapons in the safe. Then we'd have a real skirmish going 'cause I definitely believe I can out shoot them ;)

Worse case scenario is a bomb...there is no preparation for that.... only a reaction :(

Last edited:
Funny thing after I got ny conceal carry license , I use my noggin more than when I didn't carry, always looking for ways to avoid using my weapon.....honestly I didn't anticipate that thought process, didn't think I would look for reasons to use it but I didn't think I would constantly be thinking of ways to avoid using it.......but I know what you meant

Right on man. I try to look for ways out of everyday stuff too...Less confrontation the better. I would hate to give the man a reason to put me under his thumb. People suck....so the less I have to deal with em the better. Specially in large groups and public areas....if I do have to be in an area with lots of people around, I always look for the short and narrow path to safety....It doesn't hurt to look.

Situational awareness...being aware of one's surroundings and having a plan of action if something goes awry...

One of my tools of the trade: Mossberg 4x4 30.06 matched to a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 (red dot). I set it up to hunt Red Deer, Mouflon, Chamois and Wild Boar in Germany and the Czech Republic....or to keep terrorists at bay :D Looking for some suggestions on a bipod choice...

RIFLE MOSSBERG 4X4 30.06 (3).JPG

Last edited:
Back