• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month...(January 2017)

carbinemike

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer.

1986 was the last year that revolvers topped semi-automatics with 53% of the handgun sales. As of 2014 revolvers were 17% of handgun sales.

Do you own one and what is the future for revolvers?

Just one clone SAA revolver myself, and I think the future is going to relegate them as collectors and curios and pieces of nostalgia.

Since I like all of that, I will probably own another, and if I have the cash it will be a Colt Buntline 45.

Had a S&W 642... sold it along with all my 38spl ammo (which wasn't much). Didn't like the little palm stinger.

I really want a S&W 687 pro series but can't justify another caliber in my stable. I held the S&W 625 JM Pro series in my hand... felt real nice but if I'm gonna shoot 45 ACP I'd rather shoot my 1911.

I love the way revolvers look. And would really like one that shoots 357 or 44 magnum. But, again, can't justify the expense with the projects I got going on the next couple of years.

I don't, yet...but I want one.
I highly doubt they will ever go out of style/production....they are just too cool...

I've got a Ruger Blackhawk, in .45 auto. And an Armscor. 38 special. I would like to get another .38, or two. And a .45LC. I don't think they will ever go out of style. Their simplicity to operate and maintain, and reliability, along with the sheet beauty of some, will never let them fade from the market.

Bought 2 revolvers for my wife about 20 years ago. After basic instruction w/ the 5-shot .38 she joined IDPA and competed to practice. She had the only 5-shot I've ever seen in IDPA competition! She carried it concealed in GA inside a Bible case with a leather dove on it.

Also bought her an 8-shot S&W for training.

I had .38 Special in the service for a while in '66.

I don't foresee the disappearance of revolvers from the commercial market. [Note: My presidential predictions were SO far out that my ability to tell the future is highly suspect.]

Last edited:
I have one revolver, a Ruger SP101 snub nose. I really like it and carry it, mostly in the winter. I like revolvers a lot and think they will be around indefinitely but kind of in the same way lever action rifles are.

I have only one. A Heritage .22 with a 4 1/2 barrel. I bought it so I could shoot cheaply, then realized how much fun it was. I had a Smith and Wesson .357 40 years ago, only to sell it for a small profit. I will have another revolver this year, I just don't have any idea what make or model. I'll probably go with a .357.

I would really like to own a Smith & Wesson revolver or a Ruger revolver as well as the Colt Buntline.

Then again my gun buying is going to slow down a little bit now that I'm retired.

Everyone is on the high capacity, cool-looking semi band wagon. That is all that you see in the advertisements, commercials and tv shows (except for the occasional suppressed revolver...LOL). So, it is what everyone wants. But revolvers will always be around. They are simple, easy to use (although rapid reloading takes practice) and moderately priced. You don't NEED 15 rounds for self defense but that is what everyone thinks these days. A couple well placed .357 Magnum rounds will stop most threats. Concealable is another good attribute for them and to don't have to worry about grabbing them wrong and firing like striker fired handguns (at least I think about that when moving mine around without a holster).

I don't own one but I'd like to have one eventually. I have to justify the need and expense of each firearm. A revolver doesn't have any priority here right now.

OhioArcher touched on something though I want to expend on. Double stack magazines aren't enjoying the high the used to. It looks to me that as more and more women carry and more states move to friendlier concealed carry laws, single stack slimmer autos are getting more attention. As OhioArcher mentioned, one doesn't need 15 rounds. There's been a surge in not only functional but also in aesthetically pleasing smaller single stack autos. Pistols that don't entirely resemble their chunkier larger predacessors.

To me, as both men and women come to the place in their head they're good with 6 rounds, more will also consider revolvers as a potential carry gun. I've seen quite a few newer revolvers chambered in .357/.38 special. I can't remember the model now, but I'm pretty sure it was a new Colt .357 with an 8 round cylinder. Maybe it's an S&W.

Everyone is on the high capacity, cool-looking semi band wagon. ... But revolvers will always be around. They are simple, easy to use (although rapid reloading takes practice) and moderately priced. You don't NEED 15 rounds for self defense but that is what everyone thinks these days.

You just have to know how to shop. I like round guns and high capacity.

Here you go... 36 rounds - no reloading.

images

"Is that a 36-round revolver in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

Own quite a few...both single and double action :

.357 Magnum and .45 Colt

.44 Magnum

.44 Magnum

.357 Magnum

The future of revolvers...!?

Well, they have been around this long...and all the major gun manufacturers still offer them...so, I'd say "set in stone"...

It's too bad about the "no revolving cylinder shotgun" thing here in California, because I would really like to own a .410 Circuit Judge or similar.

Own quite a few...both single and double action :

Excellent collection shooter. I'm sure you like them all, but do you have one favorite ?

.357 Magnum and .45 Colt

.44 Magnum

.44 Magnum

.357 Magnum

The future of revolvers...!?

Well, they have been around this long...and all the major gun manufacturers still offer them...so, I'd say "set in stone"...

Meanstreak said: "Excellent collection shooter. I'm sure you like them all, but do you have one favorite ?"

Thanks...

Yes I do
...the Colt SAA that my wife bought me as a gift for my retirement from the DoD...a prized possession.

My 2nd favorite...the S&W 44 Magnum 4"...best all-a-round package for carry when hunting, hiking and fishing the back country...

Well, being I didn't have a pulse until 1987, I own "more than 1" semi and "less than 1" revolvers. That will change. I love wheel guns. For obvious reasons my collection started with hunting long guns then went to CCW semi-automatic pistols. Right now it's a toss up on the next firearm being a "functionally ergonomic semiautomatic rifle", likely .308, or a .44 mag revolver.

Back