• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question of the Month. July 2014

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the later questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls...

Would you draw your gun to protect your dog?

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement. :D

depends, to many situations to say for sure. I could do a lot without one and so can he but if it meant my dog was going to die if I didn't , I probably would

A lot of variables involved. I was going to get my pistol after a neighbor's pitbull tried to drag our dog under the fence but it was in its own yard. I grabbed a softball bat instead. When I came out it was in our yard. I beat the sh** out of it until I thought it was dead (he had a bite on our dog's leg and wouldn't let go). Even after it was knocked out I beat its head severely. Damn thing got up about 5 minutes later and ran back under the fence.

I called the local PD (south FL) and told them what happened. I was told if I shot that dog in my yard I would have gone to jail. This was back in the mid-80's.

Things have changed so while I would definitely consider it I can't say for certain what the outcome would be.

Doing so could land me in jail as the laws here do not cover use of force to protect pets.

Tough questions, lots of variables involved.

That said, we do what we need to do to protect out family.

That's a pretty open ended question with so many different possible scenarios I can't say I would against another human as that may be my chance to get get the rest of the family to safety in that the dog had done it's job against any other animal without a doubt

Absolutely.

And here in Alabama, no Grand Jury would indict. Can't say the same for 'them other states'.

Everyone here loves dogs, and some of the more liberal ones like cats too. :p

My kids (not me) have a little foofy dog. I would certainly pop a cap in a bigger dog if it attacked her. Or the kids. Or me. I've been bitten by a pitbull and would not think twice about shooting another vicious dog off of me (or them).

"...on trying to stop the agressive dog attacking my dog the dog turned on me attempting to bite me on 3 attempts. I feared for my safety..."

Yes.

Though "pulling a gun" is not the same as firing one but can still be intimidating to people (other animals, not so much). I am from the standpoint if you pull a gun you better be prepared to use it.

Yes...just because the dog isn't attacking me doesn't mean it still doesn't pose a threat to me.

Anything can be justified depending on how the language of a law is interpreted, just depends on how the paperwork afterwards is filled out.
Knowing is half the battle they say. ;)

I got my dog when she was eight weeks old. She was 14 years old when she died three years ago. So my answer is YES ABSOLUTELY. I would draw and use a firearm IF NECESSARY and if need be employ the services of a professional mouthpiece (lawyer) to fend off any legal "problems".

You need to understand the firearms and defense laws in your local jurisdictions. In mine, I can stab a dog in defense of property, but I can not shoot one unless it is in defense of human life. In Texas, dogs are property :mad:

It's a different kettle of fish for us Canadians. In a wilderness setting against another animal of any variety...absolutely without any hesitation to pull the trigger.

Against a human or animal...not in the city, my @$$ would be locked up so fast it would make your head spin.

I would absolutely draw down on a human in the bush, in the absence of any help (read: alone) and especially if the attack on the dog was obviously an effort to reduce my ability to protect/defend myself and/or family from their nefarious intentions. I would likely use the dog as a distraction and perhaps launch a warning shot to get their attention from the dog and gain some control back in the situation.

Its tough to say, so many variables.

yqetezup.jpg

In a heartbeat I would use a gun to defend my dog! Just as I know he would give his life for us! Anytime my 19 month old goes outside Dexter is within five feet of him! He is more protective of Hunter than he is me! Lol

Absolutely.

And here in Alabama, no Grand Jury would indict. Can't say the same for 'them other states'.

Everyone here loves dogs, and some of the more liberal ones like cats too. :p
Come on! Don't pick on the cat. He wants to smoke, drink beer, and likes to work on the trucks (supervisory) as much as me. I just can't take him camping with me like I did with the dogs. :p

That being said, if a dog, or other critter, is attacking anything out of it's own territory; there could be possibly rabies, or other psycho behavior that could be considered a public danger. Any children around? Pit Bulls seem to have a higher potential here. I've some prior experience here and would consider a shoot. AZ would not likely have a problem.

Back