• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. June 2013

What feature is MOST important to you when selecting a firearm?

• The brand?

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • The materials used?

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • The reliability?

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • All of the above.

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Other Feature. (Please elaborate in your post.)

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a new monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the later questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls....

What feature is MOST important to you when selecting a firearm?
The brand?
The materials used?
The reliability?

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement.
You are limited to 4 options.

Re: Question Of The Month.

I'd suggest that the following definition of reliability be used as opposed to the statistical definition:
In general, reliability (systemic def.) is the ability of a person or system to perform and maintain its functions in routine circumstances, as well as hostile or unexpected circumstances.

To me it doesn't really matter who makes the firearm as long as it functions as advertised, when I need to function as advertised and even if it has been abused.

This is a good question but one that probably should give the option to rank order the importance of each. Functionality, at least for me, is always more important than form or finish. I would prefer a firearm made in the good ol' USA BUT if given a great working firearm from another country and a mediocre firearm from a US company I would choose the former. I, and you the reader, may not like me sending $$$ overseas or across the border but if it won't work then I not spending $$ on it.

So far I have been fortunate to have bought excellent working firearms from US companies (with the exception of my Beretta).

I want it all so I can’t really pick one. I picked other because when I look into buying a firearm I look at what I need it to do. I don’t buy a hammer when I need a screw driver and I never buy a firearm spontaneously unless it happens to be what I am looking for.
I weigh out all the options you list, plus purpose closely followed by cost. Bang for the buck might be my most important requirement. I hate over paying for a firearm, so for me it’s one of those thing where I get obsessed with the best deal for the best functioning, durable, accurate firearm I can afford. I think a lot of people buy firearms way out of their league

Another all of the above.
I pick a firearm for my need (want :D ) first. Then I look in to the other criteria in order of cost/benefit. :eek:

Lateck,

My sentiments lie with the others who have posted up already.

First off, if the firearm doesn't carry a good reputation for reliability then the conversation ends right there.

Next, like Oli comes the math. Does it fit my needs and what is it gonna cost me? Name brand really means nothing to me.

Like OA said I'll take function over form thanks. If I had the money to look for a mantle piece then I might not care about the function, but if it's comin' out in the bush with me it means I gotta rely on it.

As far as materials, well I suppose that will likely go hand in glove with the reliability part.

My 2 cents.......

Reliability is #1. If it doesn't function when you need it to, what does brand or materials matter?

After reliability, I would place ergonomics next. The weapon has to "feel" right when you shoot it... it makes for a more enjoyable experience and that'll hopefully help accuracy.

That's the reason I picked a Mossberg 590 over a Remington 870. It is so over-built and heavy duty, with everything from the heavy barrel to the dual extractors, it just screams reliability. The ergonomics are also just perfect... the location of the safety and how I can position my hand so I have ready access to safety, trigger and slide release all at the same time.

so yeah...

1. Reliability
2. Ergonomics
3. Everything else :D

I selected reliability but just as important is that is fills a need that I have.

One point that I don't recall seeing is historical. I am a big fan of John Moses Browning. I have a Winchester Model 94-22 lever and a Browning HiPower. I believe the HiPower was the last gun he had input on. This point was still down on the list behind need and reliability but it was also a selling point for me. At some point I'll add a 1911.

carbinemike said:
I selected reliability but just as important is that is fills a need that I have.

One point that I don't recall seeing is historical. I am a big fan of John Moses Browning. I have a Winchester Model 94-22 lever and a Browning HiPower. I believe the HiPower was the last gun he had input on. This point was still down on the list behind need and reliability but it was also a selling point for me. At some point I'll add a 1911.

That, I think, is not a feature of the firearm itself, however your point will be addressed in a future QotM....

I guess I was looking at the question more as overall selling points of a firearm. I think of features being more like sights, rails, capacity, caliber, barrel twist etc. If you think about it, the list of things to consider is substantial. What a great time in history for firearm buying. If the anti's would only get off our backs! :D

purpose. reliabitily. ergonomics...
my 45 is for the house when the intruder comes to me, in the night
my 9 is for all around carry except when needing to wear athletic shorts
380 is for when the situation doesn't allow for ease of concealment, or the above athletic shorts
16 gauge is for when the intruder comes to me and i have time to go get it.

The brand is somewhat important to me - I would not look at a Raven of some other off brand of firearm because they are cheap.
The reliability is very important to me – you could get a very good named manufacture who makes a dog for a gun – so I try to do my homework and find a good gun at a good price.

Just my 2 cents.

For me it's a bit of all the above, I think it's hard to isolate just one as there is usually overlap. I buy for utility over fashion and I expect my guns to work in whatever environment I choose to use them in.

A firearm that ceases to function if I drop it in the dirt, requires constant cleaning, is prone to jams, difficult to operate, etc have no place in my collection (exceptions are made from old guns passed along but those serve a different purpose).

I have somewhat refined what I will and will not buy through a lifetime of trial and error. Now I will check forums, etc. to find feedback on models I'm looking into. I try to find specifics as to problems people hare having and try to isolate them from the generic "XXXX brand sucks" or "XXXX model sucks" types of comments. i want to see real word issues good or bad and make my decision based on that.

I will give off brands a try if the general feedback is good. I will also avoid producs from major manufacturers if the feedback is horrible.

Is it surprising that most of us chose realiablity? I mean what use is a firearm that's not reliable. I don't own any guns that haven't proven themselves reliable to me, and those that failed I sold off. I had a POS FMK handgun (look up bill of rights hangun) sort of out of novelty... I couldn't get one full magazine through it without FTF and FTE... why keep it?

I also used to have a Rock Island Armory 12ga that was a steal... but when I ran it at anything faster than a shot a minute it would bind... so it didn't stick around either. While I'm all about having good looking firearms, I mean I dress up the 590 and the AR more often than I wax the car... I also know that both of them will perform when and where I need them to.

aksavanaman said:
Is it surprising that most of us chose realiablity?

Not in the least bit. But it's good to see everyone's views on why they choose one and how.

aksavanaman said:
I dress up the 590 and the AR more often than I wax the car...

Hmmm...have a seat over there on my comfy couch...
now...tell me,
When you say dress up, do you mean Ken or Barbie?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ripjack13 said:
aksavanaman said:
I dress up the 590 and the AR more often than I wax the car...

Hmmm...have a seat over there on my comfy couch...
now...tell me,
When you say dress up, do you mean Ken or Barbie?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You should have said that softly, with a gentle, probing german accent...Dr. Freud!! :lol:

While "All of the Above" certainly matter... maybe not so much Brand. I would bet an H&R Pardner Pump could do a most sufficient job at HD, hunting, etc... But I feel Ergonomics is a HUGE factor to be considered. The placement of the Safety and Slide Release on the 500 is what ultimately made me choose it over the Remmy 870. Price was a nice thing too, but not quite the ultimate factor in my decision.

AK... you need to seek some professional help... :lol: :lol:

I bet ya'll had a nice vivid visual of me standing in my garage playing tea party and acting out my favorite movie scenes with the AR and 590.... weirdos

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll agree with ya ric, ergonomics play a big role as well.... I really liked my Glock 17, but I couldn't get used to the grip angle and the width, if I could make my fingers grow longer I would :D

Back