• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. June 2013

What feature is MOST important to you when selecting a firearm?

• The brand?

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • The materials used?

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • The reliability?

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • All of the above.

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Other Feature. (Please elaborate in your post.)

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters
Re: Question Of The Month.

aksavanaman said:
I mean I dress up the 590 and the AR more often than I wax the car... I also know that both of them will perform when and where I need them to.

Wow... totally set myself up for that one... think gutter people... and it's even funnier :lol:

aksavanaman said:
I'll agree with ya ric, ergonomics play a big role as well.... I really liked my Glock 17, but I couldn't get used to the grip angle and the width, if I could make my fingers grow longer I would :D

I am still trying to get adjusted to the .45 my dad gave me. I like how it fits but just as you said.. Grip Angle... 1911 Fit like a glove and it may be the Single Stack Vs Double Stack that is playing into it too...

aksavanaman said:
Is it surprising that most of us chose realiablity? I mean what use is a firearm that's not reliable. I don't own any guns that haven't proven themselves reliable to me, and those that failed I sold off. I had a POS FMK handgun (look up bill of rights hangun) sort of out of novelty... I couldn't get one full magazine through it without FTF and FTE... why keep it?

I also used to have a Rock Island Armory 12ga that was a steal... but when I ran it at anything faster than a shot a minute it would bind... so it didn't stick around either. While I'm all about having good looking firearms, I mean I dress up the 590 and the AR more often than I wax the car... I also know that both of them will perform when and where I need them to.

I am amazed at many people I see that pick brand XXX or model YYYY simply based on it's presence in movies, gang lore, etc. Unfortunately there is a large portion of or the gun owning and carrying community that never put in enough trigger time to determine what works or doesn't work for them. I have actually known a few that never fired a single round past the CPL (Concealed Pistol License) class and never test fire the ammo they carry. These people scare me.

RELIABILITY....................................... IMHO is absolutely sacrosanct.

It if don't go bang EVERY time you squeeze the trigger for self defence or competition it isn't worth a cold cup of coffee, no matter what it's made out of, where it's made or who made it.

For example my GLOCKS cannot be beaten for reliability, which is more than can be said for some other well known pistols belonging to friends costing 2000 Euros or more.

I own a
Springfield Armory XD45
Ruger Security-Six .357 revolver
and My newest acquisition,
Mossberg 590 (50645)

I'd have to say function over form. :geek:
I was shopping for a wheel gun. Smith and Wesson Model 686 or Ruger SP101 both in .357. They were all stainless steel and expensive. So...
The XD was the first gun I bought even though it was a hideous, Frankenstein looking thing. All square and blocky like. But rave reviews, multiple gun of the year awards and stellar reliability changed my mind.
That and 13+1 rounds of .45 ACP!
The Rugar was just dumb luck. Went back after my 72 hour waiting period to pick up my brand new XD45 and the Ruger was there for sale for $175!
Walked in to pick up one, walked out with two! :D

Price

So far ive only bought 1 gun over $500. most are under $300. i dont feel im worthy of a quality gun at this time.

One of the things i really like about the 3 mossbergs ive bought is they are inexpensive and every bit as fun as the more exspensive guns i have.

Reliability is important and so is the way it fits me (or can be adjusted to fit). If it's black and it's scary looking, well that's just icing on the cake now isn't it?

My first reaction is to say reliability is most important.

However, all of the other criteria tend to reinforce the reliability issue.
Certain brands have proved to be more reliable.
If it's not reliable, I don't care what brand it is.

I guess my answer to the question would be "all of the above".

Greetings,

When cornered into giving an answer to a specific question then I would have to choose "Reliability". Reputation is everything.

hagatha

I was too late seeing this poll to vote on it but I wholeheartedly agree with the majority who say reliability has to come before all else. I look at firearms as a tool with which to get a job done. If it won't do that job the first time, every time, then a better tool is needed.

The best example from my own personal experience came with my very first firearm. When I was in my early twenties I bought a Lorcin .380 semiautomatic pistol just to have something around the house in case it was needed. I didn't spend much over a hundred bucks for it brand new and it didn't occur to me that there was a reason it was that cheap. I took it out target shooting a few times and didn't have any problems with it I can remember, and I always took care of it and kept it clean and felt pretty good about it.

Then my dog got run over by a car. He was in a great deal of pain and his injuries were far too severe for him to have been able to recover and I made the decision to put him down. It seemed the only humane thing to do. I took the pistol and put a round (round-nose target ammo, all I had) in the back of the poor dog's head and was amazed when it did NOT settle the matter then and there. Worst of all, the next round didn't feed into the chamber properly and the pistol jammed. It took me about thirty seconds to clear the chamber, reload the pistol and finish the job.

I hawked that pistol that afternoon. What is the point of having one if it fails you when you need it? I swore that day I'd never again buy a cheap firearm, or keep one that I had any reason to suspect might fail me when it was needed. Today I own two firearms, the M590A1 12 gauge I am awaiting delivery of and a CZ 75 Compact 9mm, both of which I researched thoroughly before buying. I have total confidence in my pistol and am sure my new shotgun will be every bit as reliable. To me, it's the only criteria that means anything.

Back