• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. (June 2018) (How Long To Prep For)

I'm going to say for a natural disaster situation, one month of supplies. be it tornado, blizzard, hurricane, volcano, etc.

Civil unrest, or terror attack, one month, with emphasis on self defence, and evacuation modes, be it by land, sea or air. Capabilities to bug out.

For an absolute collapse of infrastructure, it's not about what you've prepped physically, it's what you know. How to navigate, mechanical aptitude, ability to forage, scavenge, hunt, the whole mindset of make do, or die.

And as we all know, it won't happen as we expect. We won't be "prepared" for it in a literal sense. It will happen when we least expect, and have to be able to adapt and overcome.

And, as much as I hate to admit, I'm not prepared for any of it.

@cmcdonald , the family , the old folks , the ones who aren’t so mobile ..... that’s the big one . That plan isn’t so easy
Oli...the logistics of a large scale disaster in my area truly suck. I’m hoping after the older generation passes on, we can look at moving to a better location.

I’m tied here for the time being. But like Water Monkey has described about evac’ing from NY in another thread...my situation isn’t much different. HUGE evac choke points, bridges, rivers, mountains and guaranteed road closures. Then the ugliest part, the human equation. After 6 days, if the situation is bad enough and services are not restored and supplies not made available all Hell will break loose. That’s when so-called “decent” people will start to get violent in search of food and shelter. I think the burbs will be ripe for crimes of opportunity...very dangerous places to be. Just my opinion.

I'm afraid that my wife and I are the older generation in this family.

She has one Aunt older than her, but not our responsibility. Otherwise we are the eldest remaining within 2000 miles and more.

I have two daughters and seven granddaughters though. At least I taught them to shoot, but none of them are prepared for day-to-day life as it is, really.

I think I should send them all to karate school.

I have gone for more than 2 straight weeks without power and water and fuel following a pretty big snow storm before.

And that's just a winter storm.

So, I'm going to say at least a months worth of food/water alone. Plus emergency fuel for heat and cooking and everything else that you can't live without. Medicines, femine hygiene stuff, diapers and formula for babies, etc.

The big 3 for survival is water, food, shelter. Add #4 heat in the cold seasons.

This is pretty much it. I would only add that if it protracted, a month or so and whether it’s isolated to the local area or even more, I’d always like to keep stuff to trade too.

Back