• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. May 2014

I see this as a "if I had to fight off an invading army, and really use the second ammendment as it's designed, what would I want?".

I've noticed nobody mentioned the (1.) SKS. Definitely the glock. I've had the 23 and 19, but I prefer the (2.) Glock 19. The (3.) Mossberg 500 is a proven performer. I want to say the Remington 700 but I've got no experience with it. I do, however love the (4.) Mosin Nagant M91. Last, I'd want the (5.) Ruger 10/22 by my side.

Those are 5 proven, reliable and effective weapons. I have a carbine, pistol, shotgun, sniper rifle, and varmint gun.

Ok ok, I deleted the historical icons from my post.

Most of them had already been covered anyway. Now I just have five like everybody else...

I think the word iconic changes a lot in how you look at making your list

A lot of the guns listed are all icons in themselves for there own reasons some marked in history some changed the face of firearms as we know it Almost first have to ask what does it take to be considered an icon.

Lives saved ,units made, military application, did it set a precedence for other gun makers to follow in there path,is it a household name

This was my take on the question now if you asked what would I trust life to or what will you reach for when it hits the fan. Well that's a completely different rant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Iconic
adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of an icon.
2. (of statues, portraits, etc.) executed according to a convention or tradition.

Icon
noun
1. a picture, image, or other representation.
2. a representation of some sacred personage, as Christ or a saint or angel, painted usually on a wood surface and venerated itself as sacred.
3. a sign or representation that stands for its object by virtue of a resemblance or analogy to it.

When I think Iconic, I think of what I saw in movies, tv etc. An image burned into my brain.

1. 1911
2. Tommy Gun
3. .38 Special
4. AK47
5. Glock

Edit. I think I might have to change #5 to a mini 14 after watching the A-Team over and over when I was a kid.

so iconic is not a game changer but something easily recognizable ?

I figured something iconic would be a step up in advancing a genre

I guess it could be both, Oli. But there are a lot of things that advance a genre without really standing out among it's contemporaries. A VW Beetle is iconic but didn't advance the auto industry as say the Corvette Stingray. That is the way I'm looking at this.

An icon is quite literally a symbol.

It is a visual representation, a person or thing that takes on meaning greater than itself most often within a religious theme or context. The Cross and Star of David are religious icons which hold significant meaning and are easily recognizable, even to those who do not belive in what they stand for. Icons can mean different things to different people as well. The svastika was an ancient Sanskrit symbol of tranquility and well-being for 3000 years before being turned into a symbol of hatred by the Nazi party.

Outside of religious contexts, an icon can be pretty much anything. Your computer desktop icons are symbols for the files linked to them. The Starbucks logo is an icon that symbolizes corporate greed to some while others simply look at it and think of really tasty coffee.

One might look at the Kentucky Rifle or the M1 Garand and simply see another old gun. Another looks at them in reverance and understands how the revolutionary design of each rifle played a significant role in changing how battles were fought, as well as each rifle's impact on shaping history itself.

An object in itself has no meaning other than the subjective view of those who make it an icon. Bottom line, there are no wrong answers here...

I guess it could be both, Oli. But there are a lot of things that advance a genre without really standing out among it's contemporaries. A VW Beetle is iconic but didn't advance the auto industry as say the Corvette Stingray. That is the way I'm looking at this.
I think I get it...thanks......Icon means several things as does iconic ....
So it appears we can use it at our interpretation and post as many choices as we want
5 guns, 7 guns , 12 guns, why have questions left to interpretation

Last edited:
Mauser 98 or G98 Set the standard for Bolt Action Rifles,
1911 .45 ACP
P35 (Browning Hi-Power) toss up with the Luger 9mm
Spencer Lever Action widely regarded as the first functioning Lever Action Rifle
Colt Paterson First production Revolver and or the Smith and Wesson Model 1 this is the first metal cartridge revolver made in the U.S.

I think I get it...thanks......Icon means several things as does iconic ....
So it appears we can use it at our interpretation and post as many choices as we want
5 guns, 7 guns , 12 guns, why have questions left to interpretation

I took an hour in the bathroom after Taco Bell the other day... I found that pretty iconic in it's own right;)

In no particular order of importance:
  • 1911 pistol and its variants
  • M1 "Garand" rifle: "The greatest battle implement ever devised" --General George S. Patton
  • S&W model 29 revolver: "I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking "did he fire six shots or only five?" Now to tell you the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and will blow you head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?" --Harry Callahan
  • lever action rifle (any model/mfg)
  • Ruger Mark series pistols
"Iconic" to me means you can recognize it by looking at it or its outline...

PS: I made these choices before I read the post and there are a lot of other great choices and I think to myself "why didn't I think of that!". Like the AK, AR, Glock, snub .38, etc.

Attachments

• 69M1_Does_My_Talking.jpg
    69M1_Does_My_Talking.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2
  • mauldin45jeep.jpg
    mauldin45jeep.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 2
  • Dirty-Harry-1.jpg
    Dirty-Harry-1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back