• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. November 2013

Would you sign up for Militia Training?

• Yes

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No

• Maybe, depends on why I need to

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • I'm not telling

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a new monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the later questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls....

Would you sign up for Militia Training?: Yes or No

Explain your answer in your post.

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement. :D

I'm a loner... Always have been. But if the surcumstances were to arise, banding with like minded people to stand up against a tyrannical government doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Yes, as long as it didn't tie me to any one particular group. Training is one thing. Operating is another. We have several "militias" here in OH. Not many members that I can tell. If the STHF am I supposed to abandon my home, family, etc. to defend them or will we all work to preserve each other's? Yes, it is good to band together because divided we fall. Do you trust them to let you keep your food, weapons, ammo etc., or will they take yours as theirs?

Many more questions than answers I'm afraid...

uh, for what? Like-minded is one thing, but I think those organizations would be the first ones on the list should "the crackdown" come around.

Very good point. So my question to you is, how do we unite if we don't even know who each other is? This Has been discussed before and it comes down to knowing your neighbor. Tough to do in a urban and even suburban setting nowadays.

OhioArcher said:
If the STHF am I supposed to abandon my home, family, etc. to defend them or will we all work to preserve each other's? Yes, it is good to band together because divided we fall. Do you trust them to let you keep your food, weapons, ammo etc., or will they take yours as theirs?

Many more questions than answers I'm afraid...

I'm with you on that OA...unless there was an immediate advantage to banding with others, I would watch my backside and my family first. It would be great to trust a few close neighbors to form a small security srtonghold, put protecting kin would be my primary goal.

I just don't think that an organized militia would stand a chance against a brainwashed federal gov't force. Here's my question ( and forgive my ignorance)... Under who's command do state national guard fall? I could imagine that a state like AK would pull all it's resources to defend against an enemy( foreign and domestic!) I can tell you there are many like minded Coasties here in Kodiak that would take their oath serious before acting on unlawful orders against the constitution.

I think a lot of that would be determined by the unit commander and how he or she interacts with the troops. Do they trust him/her? What is the mindset of the troops in regard to their orders? That is why, in all likelihood, BO is purging the military's top ranks. Get rid of those that would question any orders against the citizens. In the past, National Guard belonged to the state but could be called up by the Pentagon. With all the action in Iraq and Afghanistan the lines are blurred and the Guard is no longer just an extension of the Active side. Take away the Guard and Reserves and there is no way our country could perform its military obligations.

There will be those who resist such orders just as there will be those that clutch them to their chest. The outcome will be decided by the ratio of those two numbers.

No easy answer, I guess it would depend on who was doing the training, their background, what the training consisted of, what their goals/agenda are, etc.

MikeD said:
No easy answer, I guess it would depend on who was doing the training, their background, what the training consisted of, what their goals/agenda are, etc.

Yes, this months question has a lot of open "what ifs" in it. I answered it as depends. I guess in all reality thus far the answer is no for us all as I don't know of anyone on here that's in a militia. I would not look at a militia as the way to go for fighting an oppressive government. We aren't even close to that yet anyway. If the feds were to send troops to Lexington and Concord tomorrow to confiscate weapons and ammo I think less would turn out than we had in 1776.

I would look at a militia as being the way to go for a SHTF scenario where the government is not in play any longer. If you aren't banded in some way to like minded folks you will be screwed, maybe not at first but the hordes target easier prey like individuals and small groups first. For short term I think a militia could be effective for safety and security during something like hurricane Katrina where many people are on their own for several days or a week.

If a militia were to start around here would consider it but a lot of questions would need answered first.

There is a need for a code word or phrase that means, "Everybody meet at the local pub for a confab!"

That is what the early Americans did!!

I would like to be educated and practiced in organized militia and tactical manuvers. as far as joining a militia, no I don't think I would. unless it consisted of members I know and trust. I have quite a few marine, ex-marine, and army friends. if they feel that it is the right thing to do I would put consideration into it.

Like my vote says, depends on what/why a militia training is needed.

I would easily join to defend my immediate area. I'm not sure I'd be keen on much else, except perhaps to repel boarders trying to enter my country in a hostile fashion.

^^^Can't see what ya posted AK!!

Being in Canada, we have no civilian militias...in fact they are not even lawful according to the Criminal Code of Canada. Our militia is the Reserve part of the Canadian Forces.

Civilian militias are seriously frowned upon here by the authorities and if you were to engage in such activities would likely receive an unexpected and unpleasant visit from the local ERT!

Unlawful Drilling
Orders by Governor in Council

70. (1) The Governor in Council may, by proclamation, make orders

(a) to prohibit assemblies, without lawful authority, of persons for the purpose

(i) of training or drilling themselves,
(ii) of being trained or drilled to the use of arms, or
(iii) of practising military exercises; or

(b) to prohibit persons when assembled for any purpose from training or drilling themselves or from being trained or drilled.

General or special order

(2) An order that is made under subsection (1) may be general or may be made applicable to particular places, districts or assemblies to be specified in the order.

Punishment

(3) Every one who contravenes an order made under this section is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.

Militias have appeared here from time to time over the years but are often associated with unsavory activities and individuals (white supremicists, KKK types)...people on the fringes of society at best.

I would join a legit militia if that were possible, if only for the training and to get a feel for who might be like-minded in my immediate environs.

Sorry for the long answer but thought it might be of interest.

aksavanaman said:
cmcdonald said:
^^^Can't see what ya posted AK!!

Still hit'n miss on embedding videos directly... but fixed the link at least ;)
Sorry.....not sure if this is a thread hijack.....but I'll try to be brief.

Thanks for the link AK...an interesting piece. I find it interesting that the idea of a citizen's militia is so demonized given its crucial role in the formation of the USA. I think it was Norm Olson that said a central government doesn't want nor serve a unified people. Essentially due to the fact that a unified people would tip the balance of power in favor of the people; and he went on to say how our own petty bickering over this and that will keep us dis-jointed and the balance of power remains with the government. That I believe to be true. No agreement, no unity, no power.

Whether there is a concerted effort to keep the imbalance of power or the status quo I'm not exactly sure. However, I am becoming increasingly suspicious that it may indeed be the case...I believe it more some days than others.

I watched a few other vids that flashed up after this one. I am almost certain that if citizen's militias posed any threat to governmental control during a domestic disaster or some other conflict or conflagration that the militia would be targeted forthwith by either military units or "private military contractors". Of this, I am pretty darn sure.

Wow....illegal. Indictable? Too bad. That just sucks dude....

Interesting stuff AK.....

Back