• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. October 2013

Okay, for what it is worth, from the items in my bug out bag, the one that I deem absolutely essential is a knife.

That being said, no one has identified or defined the term "knife." In other words, do I want my Marine Corps K-Bar (an excellent knife for many, many uses), my very old (over 50 years) Marble skinning knife my father included as part of my 14th birthday gift (the remainder was a Remington 30-06), or the Benchmade Emerson Tanto that I have been carrying daily for probably 20 years (almost "lost" it to TSA too many times to count)?

Anyway, right now, from my bug out bag, I will say my Marine Corps K-Bar is the absolutely essential item that I do not want to be without.

Why don't the rest of you also identify the "knife" of which you speak?

OnceAMarine
-----------

P.S. My further "two cents" worth. I liked the answer of a "fire starter." However, that is almost a pocket item with me. Second, from my experience, tarps (shelter) are nice but can be fashioned (with a knife) from material at hand. Additionally, I have learned to purify and filter water in different ways as long as I have heat, etc.

ripjack13 said:
Right. This QotM has to do with your bug out bag. What is in it, that you cannot do without. My b.o.b. does not have clothes. Only tools that I need to survive. When the shtf I should be good with what I have on atm. However I do also have another bag that is just for clothes and non essentials....

Well, other than maybe a fold up plastic poncho... my BOB doesn't have clothes either. I usually tend to wear them when I'm in public ;)

onceamarine said:
Why don't the rest of you also identify the "knife" of which you speak?

Well, I'm still working on finding the perfect knife... Right now it's my new SURVIVE! Knives GSO 5.1 (Which.. foot in mouth... actually doesn't throw sparks well).... I've got 3 or 4 Mora's laying around that usually make its way into my packs as well. But you can't go wrong with a Ka-Bar either!

I vote for about a hundred Xanax tablets each the size of an oatmeal cookie.

Might not be a knife or firestarter but who cares?

nitesite said:
I vote for about a hundred Zanax tablets each the size of an oatmeal cookie.

I'll make sure to pack a handle of whiskey to go along with that... on top of not caring... you won't remember either :lol:

aksavanaman said:
nitesite said:
I vote for about a hundred Xanax tablets each the size of an oatmeal cookie.

I'll make sure to pack a handle of whiskey to go along with that... on top of not caring... you won't remember either :lol:

^ :lol:

Ahhhh, the fog that follows coming out of a chemically-induced "recreational" coma. Nothing in life compares. At least, so I've been told.... :roll:

And if you can't get Xanax the size of an oatmeal cookie, the 2-mg Xanax "bars" are very lightweight and portable. You could probably tote about 200 for about the same weight as a BIC lighter so it's very efficient.

XANAX.jpg

But again, who cares?

Yuk.....I'm a Djarum cigar dude.

I need to quit though.....even the 5 a day is too much.

I have to go by the season. If it's winter I'm going with my sleeping bag with fire starting a close second. If it's not winter I'll take water purification. I figure the cold will kill the quickest in winter and lack of water will for the other seasons.

Seeing as the knife in my bag currently is a Gerber/Bear Grylls Ultimate Fixed Blade Knife, given to me for Christmas, it serves as my knife and fire starter. So I would have to say that would be the one tool I'd have the hardest time living without. But I always carry my Benchmade 940SBK and have alternate fire starting methods in my bag, so life wouldn't be impossible, possibly just a little more difficult. Next to that I'd have to say Paracord.

That moment when you realize you may be the only one in the group without a bug out bag..... :oops:

MikeD said:
That moment when you realize you may be the only one in the group without a bug out bag..... :oops:

You are not alone... :? I have many items and many bags. I can pack most of them quickly. But I don't plan on leaving, at least not right away...

Don't feel bad MikeD I don't either. But ive been accumulating. I don't really plan to go anywhere either though. I would buckle down right here where I'm at.

I would have to say a water purification system of some sort.
(actually bought one a short time ago, "just in case")
I hate getting dehydrated, and a good, clean source of water is high on my list.
Can't live without it.

I need to look into a potable water purification system myself. 5 gallon jugs are hard to carry around. But they work well for a big in situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk now Free

I have to agree with CarbineMike, go by the season.

If its fall / winter its fire starter. Spring / summer its water filtration.

FYI - I purchased a MSR Miniworks Microfilter last year for under a 100 bucks, its about the size of a standard water bottle. It will filter for all the major micro-organisms and for taste. It will filter up to 2000 liters or about 500+ gallons per filter cartridge. Replacement cartridge was about 40 bucks. 1000 gallons of water, provided you can find a source...can keep a family of 4 going a long time even using up to .75 gal per person per day...the .75 is based on .25 minimum for drinking and .50 for cooking and sanitation.

Hmmmmm! Water purification, fire starter, fixed blade knife, rope (paracord),shelter, first aid kit, compass & map, etc.....dang, I am so confused, heh-heh. But I would say a hatchet or camp axe. Very versatile tool: Durable cutting edge, hammer, steel (sparks) and formidable close quarters weapon.

Back