• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. September 2013

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Howdy,
This is a new monthly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the later questions may have a poll, and some will not. Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer and vote in the polls....

What is your #1 favorite brand of Firearm and why?

There are no wrong answers. :cool:
PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY THIS ONE BRAND IS YOUR FAVORITE IN YOUR POST. :D

**Rules**
PLEASE ONLY PICK ONE :eek:
There is no minimum post requirement.

I would have to say Smith and Wesson. Great pistols (especially recently) and their AR rifles are well thought of. Excellent customer service. Excellent warranty. I know this hasn't always been the case from them, but I have zero hesitation buying anything new from them.

Olympic Arms

They are a small family owned business that has been producing a myriad of weapons for almost 40 years now (if you also take into account that Mr. Bob Shuetz owned SGW/Shuetzen Gun Works) and unlike many of the other AR companies, actually make the biggest majority of the parts to build them.

They have been very innovative in that time and created many features that are commonplace and desirable today and the quality is very good.

The pistol caliber conversions, the free float forend, and flat top upper receiver just to name a few features that they have done.

I am also very good friends with several of the men who work there.

I would have to choose Ruger for me. From their unbeatable 10/22 (IMHO), solid wheel guns and even auto pistols, all be it brick of guns like the P95... I'm a fan.

Without a doubt GLOCK for me. After the Smith and Wesson model 10 the Glock 17 was my service pistol which I would have relied upon to save my life without question due to it's reliability.

I have 100% confidence in my Glock if that's possible ?

For repair and maintainence they are second to none for simplicity and low cost. For durability they cannot be beaten. Nice and light to carry all day too.

I know I CAN'T have a second but I have owned Mossberg pump shotguns both here and the U.K since 1984.

When I was working we were issued with the Remington 870, but Mossbergs are a very close second for me for the same reasons as above.

The brand that I'm holding in my hand at the time. ;) I can't pick just one, Ripjack, since each type is a different brand and they all perform their intended function properly. Just like my bows (3), they all have different purposes.

Over the years I've had Savage, Remington, Browning, Mossberg, Stevens, Beretta, S&W, Sterling and a few I can't remember. Some were given to me by my father so they hold sentimental value. Some I've sold not because I didn't like them but someone liked them or needed them more than me.

I guess my answer would be "All-of-the Above Brand"...or as Steve Lee put it, "I like guns".

Hmmm...and here I thought this would be an easy one...

:lol: :lol: :lol: Like someone said...opinions are like armpits...LOL

No, for some it will be real easy. For others, not so much. To be honest, I haven't had enough of any one brand to say I like it better than any other. To do so without any solid data to back it up would be, as they say on Archery Talk, like a "fan-boy", someone that follows a given brand solely because it is that brand (they kill me over there, threatening anyone who says something bad about their "chosen" brand).

So, you should get some good reviews on specific brands. I would venter that most have had a bad experience with Brand A so they moved to Brand B. Brand B will be their "favorite" until something goes wrong. Also, many will say that even though the product may not be the best, the CS is exceptional. We'll have to see. I'm curious to see the replies.

I think you can read the question as "if you had to name a brand of firearm to get a random gun from, what would it be?" I looked at it this way. Of course I have a few M&Ps, but I don't think I'd be disappointed getting anything from S&W if I had to "spin the wheel" so to speak.

There are some brands I wouldn't take a chance on because their CS is questionable, there are some that I just don't care for how they design them, not that there is necessarily anything wrong with them (I can't figure out the mental trick to using a Walther mag release).

There are a ton of great brands out there, I don't think you can hate on any of them or that you would forsake any others.

OhioArcher, I feel you though. Each brand seems to be the tops in a particular niche, so to pick only one seems silly...

For me this is an easy one...Ruger because of the three musketeers...price point...they just keep shooting...and super CS.

This month we get a great big box to play in...hope no one gets lost :D

Cheers,

Tye

Ps. Love my MPV 'V'

Put me down for a Ruger vote too. Half of my guns are Ruger's although I didn't intend it to be. It's just how it went. They seem to offer a great variety of firearms that function well and are fairly priced. My one question for them is why do SP-101's cost as much or more than a semi auto with so many fewer parts?

I'll throw in for great customer service too. I couldn't believe the responsiveness, accurate updates and quick turn around.

I do love my 590A1, Winchester lever gun and Browning and wouldn't hesitate to buy from any of those companies again. This question is like picking my favorite beer, whiskey or super model. Ripjack is continuing his diabolicalness (is that a word?).

Ripjack is continuing his diabolicalness (is that a word?).

I think he has a window into our safes and storage areas, and he just wants to see how we explain what we have... :shock:

I think explaining what you have is an entirely different (ahem) question of the month, because there are so many more factors - opportunity, price, quality, capability, etc, than just a single brand. Usually I think you find those that are SO wedded to a brand that they lose sight of the big picture.

Example: I bought an MVP because I wanted a bolt action that could shoot 5.56, not just .223. And having a detachable mag was a must, using AR mags even better. Is it the best quality bolt action rifle out there? No. But it fits my bill (and is a hell of a gun for the price).

Picking a single brand is difficult for me because there are so few that make all three types of guns at a very high level - the only one I can think of off hand is Remington, and they only have one current model of pistol.

I cant say I have a favorite brand. I haven't shot a wide enough variety. And my collection is relatively small at the moment. I can say at the moment I'm pretty partial to my Savage center fire rifles.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

I have an S&W Sigma 9mm, Sig P250 40sw and Mossberg 88 12 ga. I would have to say for me, my fav is the Sig. It's the smoothest operating pistol I had. The fit and the finish is just superb and very comfy to shoot. The Sigs have a very good reps and I can see why. Mine is a cheaper model of the lot and well worth the $400.

Back