• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Question Of The Month. September 2013

This is a tough one. I'm a logger, sawyer, and woodworker and I was in the remodeling/construction business for years also so I own a LOT of tools. I learned early on to buy the tool, not the brand. I saw guys in the business that purchased by brand only, and they usually deprived themselves of the "best in class" type of tools by doing so.

We've all seen this in the chevy vs ford debates too; both manufacturers make junk and both make decent stuff too. Ford more so than chevy. :lol: Joking. I have trucks of both makes. The same could be said with firearms. Besides Ruger I own Colt, Marlin, Mossberg, DPMS, Glock, S & W, Remington, Springfield Armory, Zabala, and a Schmidt Rubin that might be my favorite of them all on some days at least. It changes with the wind - or at least which one I'm usng at the time. I just know I have forgotten one or two though . . . . .

It's a great question Marc but I have no specific answer. I *have* learned a lot from the answers thus far though. And BTW if you ever inside my shop or tool trailer you'll see the same thing, numerous brands. I don't have many guns compared to a lot of guys, but as I continue to collect them, my choices won't be because of the brand stamped on it although I do pay attention to that, it'll be primarily because of what that particular firearm can do for me.

Mostly they make me squirm with delight when I fondle them. ;)

I have to go with Ruger.

Not sure why exactly, but I have had the best luck with their guns and becuase of that I seem to buy more of theirs than anybody else. However, knock on wood, I have had good luck with Kimber, Beratta, S&W, Mossberg, Keltec and Glock too.

I don't think I have one.

Like tools for wood, metal working, electronics, or cooking; so many applications or goals. Do you want volume or precision, life saving or beautifully crafted form. Basic reliable function or state of the art ingenuity. I can get some misc parts from Ace hardware or no one else has one of these. Cost is not an issue or I really got a lot of bang for my buck. Served my grandfather, served my son. Or is it you only have one. Some of the above is not mutually exclusive. This just ain't right, diabolical even :|

jeffy56 said:
Served my grandfather, served my son. Or is it you only have one. Some of the above is not mutually exclusive. This just ain't right, diabolical even :|

Sorry man....just doing my part to make the world a lil more :twisted:

:lol: :lol:

Smith & Wesson M&P line when it comes to pistols. Mossberg 590 A1 absolutely the best self/home defense shotgun out there. I bought my first shotgun, a Rementon 670 tactical about 8 months ago, and thought is was the cat's meow, but when I first put the 590 A1 in my hands...it was all over. I traded my 870 after only 50 rounds, for the blackwater series, then wanted another but couldn't decide between models 51663 and 51660 (the latter is Hickok 45 and Nutnfancy favorite). So, I got them both. Now I have three. The Blackwater is a little too tactical for me, so I think I will sell it off. But the other two, as similar as they are to one another, are keepers.

FMA1972 said:
couldn't decide between models 51663 and 51660 (the latter is Hickok 45 and Nutnfancy favorite). So, I got them both.

I like em both, but more so the 51663...gotta love the GRS.... ;)

I've never really considered brand preference. I buy a gun based on it's own merits, regardless of manufacturer.

Unfortunately, they were ALL lost in a tragic boating accident in the Pamlico Sound.

Dammit.

Duane

Darn those boating accidents. They have been hitting a lot of my friends lately. ;)

5 Marlins 1 336, 1, 1894 44m, 1 1894c 357, 1 Model 56 22lr, I buy marlin Levers for the simplicity of the action and field stripping Maintenance. 1 Model 60 22lr this one was given to me but man do I love to shoot it.
3 Mossberg 1 500, Again Ease of use and Maintanence. 1 MVP .223 Bolt Gun that takes AR Mags and shoots like a tack driver. 1 4x4 .243 bought because of price point and the fact that the MVP is an excellent shooter.
2 Taurus 1 Model 94 22lr 1 44 Tracker Price point and availability of them.
2 Browning (BHP) What can I say Browning Hi Powers are easy for me to shoot and how many other 9mm pisols have been in Production continuously since 1935?
1 S&W Model 10 38spc easy to shoot smooth as butter triggers and dependability.
1 Ruger GP100 durable as the proverbial Sherman Tank
1 Keltec P11, inexpensive pocketable if I need it to be.
1 Ishapore Enfield .308 Inexpensive introduction to the Milsurp market and it shoots a caliber that I really like.
1, Westernfield Single shot Bolt Action 410 Actually should be with the Mossbergs but it was the first gun I paid for with my own money.

I am a Lever Action aficionado plus I like having rifles that shoot Pistol Calibers

Sorry - no can do. I have very few repeat brands among my guns - I buy a gun for a reason or set of reasons/tasks. Some guns (and brands) are better suited per task.

Then there is the magic chart where cost and usefulness intersect - that is about where I buy a gun so THAT can also be the determining factor of what I buy vs what I want.

I like Glocks. Glock does not make a rifle or shotgun.

I love Mossbergs - the 930 is turning out to be the competition shotgun that I'd hoped it would be. I also have a 702 - a REALLY affordable 22LR that is a great shooter for the price.

I have a Smith and Wesson....

(putting on the brakes after already breaking the original request!)

PS do I really have to choose just one? cause if I could afford it one of Everything Made would be my choice.

I think I have 2 answers the fir st is my favorite rifle is an M1 carbine .Best handling ,best shooting ,best sighting. Love the round . Have it in the hand gun form also in an AMT Auto mag .Looking for the Ruger 30 carbine Blackhawk ! But I also love anything from Winchester in lever action .From rifles to shotguns a lever action fits my style. Have a 73 Winchester in 44/40 .Also a single action Ruger in the same Chambering . See a pattern developing !

,,,,sounds like a nice collection.
stop by the new members area and say hi. :)

My favorite is Browning for sure.
The quality, the workmanship, fit and finish is second to none. They are a little more exspensive but you get what you pay for.
Savage, Mossberg are very good but Browning are the best in my safe. :D

Back