• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

QUESTION OPINION On A "Super Build"

Which platform would make the best place to start in building a "Super 930" for feeding your family to protecting them. What would you want? Say start with a JM Pro or a Duck Commander with their Special coated parts ectera and build from there taking from any of the 930 avaiable. Then why would you pick these parts.

Everyone has their own ideas on builds, I like to keep it simple. I would not pay big bucks for a tweaked out model if you plan to build it into something else, unless those models have something you really want out of the box.

I would just buy a std 930 with a turkey or security barrel, or a SPX if you want to spend a little more up front and want the ghost ring sights. If you intend to shoot some low velocity target rounds swap out some parts with OR3GUN stuff. If you intend to skeet shoot or hunt birds I would get a longer barrel model and then buy a shorter barrel for HD.

Marine spacer tube - Blue Competition model.
Adjustable Spring Retainer.

You can swap out some more parts as well but those would be the minimum I would replace.

I'm not big on extended magazine tubes but Nordic Components makes the best 930 tube out there IMHO if that is something you want

Probably not what most would call a "Super 930" but it will get the job done.

My 930 has almost all of the OR3GUN parts and I do use the Nordic extended tube on occasion so I can attest to their quality first hand. ( I am in no way affiliated with OR3GUN I just think their parts work great)

Just my thoughts...

MikeD has a good handle on the subject and relayed much of what I was thinking.

;)

A second barrel (or one of the combo field/security models) makes a lot of sense. I will always take the one gun, many uppers or barrels approach to something if I can to be perfectly suited to each task. But, if we're thinking one gun that stays assembled as is for everything we have some compromises to make.

I personally find the 22" JM Pro is really a good compromise for everything as a starting point. The Boron Nitride treatment of the piston and magazine tube are a little tougher to source and/or install after the fact, so those components being set are a good start. A 22" barrel is as short as you get from the factory with chokes factory threaded. Being able to focus rounds a bit tighter down range is a nice feature. A flush extended tube on a 22" gets you 9 rounds in the gun. Having worked with a variety of barrel lengths through shoot-house stages I wouldn't want any longer than that to deal with, but didn't note it to be any less maneuverable than an 18" barrel. Make it foolproof and weatherproof with a good Duracoat or Cerakote on the externals (barrel, primarily as the receiver is aluminum) and some upgraded internals (MST, CSP, ASR, CFR). De-burr all of your spring ends and make sure your chamber is better smooth. Dial it to your load range with quality shells and buy them by the case once you know your guns likes them.

William
OR3GUN

Thanks Guy's for your in put. I have the 930 JM Pro now and I have been saving up for the OR3GUN upgrades, so I was happy to see William chime in on this. I think one other piece I would like to install on my JM Pro and that would be SS Return Spring from the DC Pro line. I have searched but not found a spread sheet for the JM Pro like I have on the DC Pro line showing all the upgrades that have been installed. Living in Norther Mi we have weather that can turn on you in a heart beat it can be very humid here year around. I would like to make this JM Pro as bullet proof weather proof and reliable as possible. Again thank you William and MikeD for adding to this I am not as educated as you two seem to be on these things.
Jeff aka Buff

Im new to the 930 after winning an auction on used field model for $300. I bought an 18.5" breacher from Mossberg and a Choate magazine extension. I figure I can do anything I need a shotgun for. 28" is a good field length, I can swap out barrels and change the mag spring in minutes and have an excellent HD gun. My 930 sits in my closet with the short barrel, extension tube with 6 loaded on an empty chamber. When I take it to the trap range it's a very quick change for field work. I probably wouldn't have gone this route if not for the deal I got on the gun, but I'm really happy I got it. I agree with 1 gun, many uses. Of course I have many guns, but I'm sick that way ; )

Im new to the 930 after winning an auction on used field model for $300. I bought an 18.5" breacher from Mossberg and a Choate magazine extension. I figure I can do anything I need a shotgun for. 28" is a good field length, I can swap out barrels and change the mag spring in minutes and have an excellent HD gun. My 930 sits in my closet with the short barrel, extension tube with 6 loaded on an empty chamber. When I take it to the trap range it's a very quick change for field work. I probably wouldn't have gone this route if not for the deal I got on the gun, but I'm really happy I got it. I agree with 1 gun, many uses. Of course I have many guns, but I'm sick that way ; )

Glad you like the 930. Growing up, a shotgun was just a bird & clays gun. It took me while to realize just how versatile a platform it can be.

Back