• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Questions about the Forcing cone

Frank Lopez

Copper BB
Hello all,

I'm new here and I have a question. I don't own a 935 (I have an 835), and this question came up on another board. I know that the 835/935 guns are bored to .775 and that the chamber is at least .798 in order to meet SAAMI requirements. This alone would indicate the existance of a forcing cone. However, some folks are stating ther there is no forcing cone and others have stated that there is a sort of step from .798 to .775 (which I don't buy). Anyway, I've checked my 835 and am positive of the existance of a cone.

So, my question is, does a forcing cone, in the traditional sense exist in the 835/935 guns.

Thanks for any information.

Frank

There is an obvious size decrease. The way I understand it in Mossberg’s it is a step and not a cone shape. It is referred to as a forcing cone for any shotgun…..forcing cone being the term for this particular transition zone, in the barrel, from chamber to bore no matter how it is configured or modified . At least that’s the way I see it.

Welcome to Mossbergowners Frank

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Frank !!

When you find the time, post a pic of your Mossy 835... :mrgreen:

oli700 said:
The way I understand it in Mossberg’s it is a step and not a cone shape.

I just checked my 835 again, and there definitely isn't any step or shoulder. I used a very straight rod with a perfectly square nose and slowly pushed it along in the chamber. If there was a definite shoulder, it would have hung up or stopped or at least have a noticable feel to it. No such luck. I think the next thing I'll do, just to remove all doubt, is to make a plaster or wax casting of the chamber and the first inch of the barrel.

The one thing that makes me believe that there is a con and not a shoulder is that since it is a 3.5 inch chamber, it can also shoot 3, 2 3/4, and smaller shells. While a shoulder might work with the long shell, it would cause problems with the shorter stuff.

Frank

Hmm , let us know. Hopefully gumbydammit sees this. He is one of the guys at Vang Comp and could tell us for sure .....I thought my 500 had more of a step.

On some shotguns, you'll actually see a step, or abrupt taper. Others use a gradual taper, to form the forcing cone.
If you were to use a bore gauge, you would see it.
Mossbergs are known for their rather generous bores. We don't get as much "meat" from them when we bore them.

Back