1. Thank you Mossberg Owners for making us the greatest Gun forum on the planet.

Quick Shockwave 12 Ga. Write-up

Discussion in 'Mossberg 590 Shockwave' started by Thinkworx, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Thinkworx

Thinkworx .22LR

Elbert Garrett and Craig Arnold like this.
  2. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Which 2-3/4" shells are you using? They're not all created equal.

Before I forget, welcome to Mossberg owners.
  3. Thinkworx

Thinkworx .22LR

Thanks! I used some Federal low-recoil 00 Buck and some S&B #1 Buck. I also tried some Federal #7 Birdshot.

The biggest issue I found was the pump strap cutting up my hands because of rough edges.

The Minishells were the #1/#4 buckshot combo and literally a blast!
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  4. Craig Arnold

Craig Arnold .410

Nice write up sir.

As far as the strap cutting your hand, I reversed the strap attachment so the screws and end of strap are on the outside of where your hand is. Therefore, no more problem with the strap.

Welcome to the Mossberg Forum.
    veprjack and Thinkworx like this.
  5. Thinkworx

Thinkworx .22LR

Thanks for that idea Craig! I’m going to try it.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  6. John A.

Pretty good thinking Craig.

I'm not entirely certain I wouldn't have taken the strap off altogether.
  7. Thinkworx

Thinkworx .22LR

I wouldn’t remove the strap. It does help prevent your hand from flying off.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  8. Rico

Rico 20g Supporter

If you didn't have a strap you would have to hold onto the foregrip tighter. I don't believe the foregrip was meant for anything other than a safety device invented by a Mossberg lawyer. So change your technique and slide your hand back a little bit, away from the edge of the strap, and hold on tighter to the foregrip. Problem solved. Good luck.
    Elbert Garrett likes this.
  9. fortyshooter

fortyshooter .22LR

I went with the 20 gauge which is still plenty to care of business but a bit easier to control.
    Thinkworx and veprjack like this.
  10. DHonovich

DHonovich Founder Staff Member Administrator Sponsor "Philanthropist"

Nice write up and welcome aboard.
  11. StraightShooter46

StraightShooter46 .22LR

I used nail clippers on mine..the corners were very sharp. Now..very smooth, cant feel a thing.
    veprjack likes this.
  12. veprjack

veprjack .22LR

Nice review! Thanks! And, thanks to the other posters who suggested fixes for the sharp corners on the forend s trap!

I have a Maverick88 12 ga and love it. But, my EXCITEMENT over the SW20 I picked up yesterday is what motivated me to find this forum. Within 5 minutes of joining, I found two ways to solve the issue of that forend sling cutting into my hand! Hickok45 wrapped tape around his, but I like the ideas of either reversing that strap or taking fingernail clippers to it. Mrgunsngear had a pic in his SW review video of a hand (what was left of it), that had slipped off the grip and flown in front of the barrel (YIKES), so removing it was NOT an option.

With luck, I'll take it to the range next week and break it in. I haven't been this excited about a firearm in a LONG time! Pics will be coming soon!
    John A. likes this.
  13. John A.

Awesome.

We're glad you joined and look forward to hearing what you think about the gun.
    veprjack likes this.
  14. Clint50

Clint50 .22LR

Thanks for that tip. I just reversed the strap on my SW, also. Hope to get some range time in, this week.
  15. veprjack

veprjack .22LR

Thanks for the tip. I reversed the strap - problem solved!