• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rail mount?

12gafun

.270 WIN
So how hard would it be to drill & tap the Maverick 88 for a rail. I ask this cause I got the Security model & am getting a TRS-25 red dot for Christmas. So how hard is it to drill & tap it also what tools are needed to get the task at hand done.
Thanks for all replies. Also pics of other Mavericks that have gotten this done will be great, or maybe different mounting options instead of drilling & tapping the receiver.

Drilling and tapping your receiver is not that big a deal. If you haven't drilled and tapped smaller metal pieces before and don't have the proper tools you might want to check out a saddle mount for your Mav88.
I have a Millett mounted on an old 500A that is nit drilled and tapped. I use it for a scope and slugs.

Millett.jpg
saddle mount millett.jpg
DSCF0017.JPG
DSCF0018.JPG

i like the saddle mount, doesn't look like it adds much if any more height than a rail.

Well that looks good thank for the information, kinda kills me putting on a side saddle for extra ammo. Unless they make one with a shell holder.

Not any extra weight to notice. The Merritt is aluminum. Wearver makes one out of polymer. I went with the Merritt for being more rigid. (and Ripjack has one and recommended it.);)

For ammo have you thought of using a stock pack like the Triad Tactical?

Thanks again all, I have looked into the
TacStar Mossberg Sidesaddle Rail Mount
I did check that other one it's a Mesa Tactical and the price range is of course way higher than it should be cause of the name.
I cannot put a mount on a $260 dollar shotgun that costs about half what the shotgun costs. The pic is of the Tacstar one good reviews & good price range. Also sorry about the bold text, it got stuck on that after I pasted the Tacstar wording.

mount.PNG

I also have another question, does anyone use these Hi-viz sights, these snap on. Do they work & stay put. I tried the Tru-glo ones & they broke I just discovered these & am wondering if they are any better.

sights.PNG

Back