• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Random Range Report

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
This report Is Random because I went to the range today with a mixed bag of objectives.

I took a shotgun that I love, a .22 semi-auto that I haven't loved enough, a .380 auto that needed some serious break in love, and a .45 Auto that is the pistol I love the most.

First I wanted to test my Mossberg 500 shotgun with the new Boyd's wood furniture. It's not really broken in yet and needs to have another hundred rounds shot through it. Unfortunately that didn't happen.

While the shotgun functioned quite well, for the second time I accidentally stuck a 16 gauge shell in a 12 gauge pump. I had accidentally boxed a 16 gauge reload with my 12 gauge reloads.

Nothing really happened except that I had to take a jack handle and bump the 16 gauge shell from the chamber. Generally the gun ran well.

I shot a steel target with some bird loads at 25 yds, and then I shot some double-ought buckshot, and in the process I cracked my Boyd's forestock right in two.
20180708_182606_resized.jpg

That ended the shotgun action, so we went up to the Members-Only rifle range.

A while back I bought this .380 auto Khar for my wife, and it has never really been broken in properly until today.

I ran 150 fast rounds thru that little gun and it was functioning beautifully.

Even better was the fact that with my eyesight now improved by the cataract surgery my pistol shooting is much improved.

Not so much the target rifles which all depend on high-powered scopes, but I can definitely get a pistol sighted On Target much easier than I used to. I still cannot shoot any pistol I have tried with both eyes open however.

After I did a good break-in on the .380 I switched to the .45 Auto.

My ATI 1911 is not broken in either, and I had to do a fair amount of work on the throat of this gun to get the Bullet Delivery spot on.

Even then it is a tad picky about ammunition.

Today I shot some American Eagles and I shot a mixed bag of reloads from previous sessions. I managed to jam the gun up once or twice, but overall I was very pleased about the way it runs now.

After only 20 rounds through the shotgun, but 300 rounds through the pistols, I was tired and had to sit down and shoot the .22 Marlin.

This was my 4th not really broken in gun.

I have not been able to get my AR repaired under warranty and so I stripped the expensive scope off of my totally unreliable gun, and put it on my Marlin.

Now that that little gun is getting broken in it is developing a taste for High Velocity ammunition and it fortunately I ran out early into the afternoon.

The Marlin shot better than I expected and I was making very tight groups for a .22LR, until the wind opened up and those gusts blew me all over the map.

Now that things are broken in better and I know which ammunition I need to use the range days will go better in the future.

It got up to 102 today and I was the last man standing.

This is the range house at the members-only range. Guests get to shoot at range 2, 3 and 4, which are much smaller.

We live in the desert you know, and except for a hundred and fifty years of irrigation the whole County would look dead like this.
20180708_180643_resized.jpg

Well it did get to be 102° and everyone else bailed.

20180708_121713_resized.jpg
Now that is a cold range!

I would have taken some steel targets and more ammo, but it doesn't normally clear out quite like that. There are lots of family guys who don't have all day to shoot like I do.

I went back to the range again today because my membership expires soon and I want to get my money's worth! LOL

Anyhow the weather was beautiful and it was not crowded.

Today I took only the Marlin Model 60 22LR and the American Tactical Imports 1911 45 caliber. These are both guns that I have not broken in well up to this point and they needed more shooting.

I ran 90 rounds through the 45 Auto and 120 rounds to the long rifle, and everything functioned very well today.

I had big problems with the .45 when trying to shoot black targets at 10 yards, because that gun has black sights and I was standing in the shade as I fire. Anyhow I was generally all over the map because I simply couldn't sight the gun well.
20180710_134641_resized.jpg

I shot twice at my buddies orange Target and bullseye twice! What a difference that made!

20180710_140049.jpg
(The two fat holes in the bullseye circle are my 45-- one striking the left point of the black diamond and another 1/2" directly below it. All of the little holes are from a 9 mm.

The Marlin Model 60 shot really well at 50 yards, but when I increased the distance to 100 yards the wind started coming up, and my performance dwindled dismally.

This group at 1.35" was the best I could shoot at 100yds with a .22 today. It was supposed to be a group of 10 but there was only 7 left in the tube. This was shot with Federal Automatch.

20180710_135339.jpg
Not exactly sub MOA, but for a cheap gun--under $200-- I am very pleased at the performance.

But I shot this group of 5 at 50 yards and I'm very proud of it, as it was was my absolute best group of the day. This was shot with Remington Thunderbolts.

20180710_134944_resized.jpg

I haven't been shooting much at all, as we are in the middle of remodeling our house and everything is a disaster. I wasn't necessarily going for fun this time so much as function testing and break-in of the two guns.

Based on my experience today I consider them to be fully broken in.

I shot 90 rounds of American Eagle through my .45 and though accuracy suffered when it got hot it did not Jam. That .45 racks them off quite smoothly, and once I get some fancy day-glo sights on it I think I will be much happier.

The Marlin did jam on me twice and it happened both times with American Eagle jacketed hollow-points.

I shot Eagles, Thunderbolts and I also shot some Federal Automatch, and I would say the Thunderbolts had the best performance in that gun.

Nice report Cadd. Looks like you made up for some lost time.

Oh not so much Meanie.

But I had a lot of fun, I blew off a lot of ammo, and I ordered a new gun that I didn't think I was going to buy.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it here so I will keep my mouth shut until it shows up next week.

Good shootin Cad, stay on that .45 youll get dialed in sites ?? What sites use the force brother yes it works
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1685082431572317&id=511241485623090

Next time, I'll put on my best Darth Vader voice, close my eyes, and hope I don't shoot anything expensive.

Our range is on the Open Range! Real no BS Cowboys dude. Last time there was a big heifer up there by the 300-yard gong and as I was taking potshots at the gong with a 22 she was getting closer and closer!

Unfortunately cows don't always respect fences.

By the way they don't allow holsters at our range. To do all that quick draw & tac chit you have to join the pistol club.

It's 90% Leo types & they have rigid schedules that I'm really not up for.

You have to qualify every year to retain your membership by achieving a certain score & attending a certain number of meets, and of course you have to pay the extra dues and perform Club duties.

The only duties I'm required of now is to follow the rules and sweep up my brass.

Last edited:
DJ, I went back and looked at my 45 caliber target again, and I realized that some of that shooting that was far off of the mark was me trying to shoot with both eyes open, which did not work for me at all!

All the shots that are on/near the mark were made with one eye closed.

Thank you Nitesite. Things are moving along.

I haven't shot the Varminter with the really good custom ammunition since before I had my surgery. Same goes for the Mossberg .30-30 and most of my other guns.

I have to start pulling everything out and giving it a once-over after remodeling gets done here.

In the meantime I'm just working on the stuff in the front of the safe so I don't have to dig very deep. ;)

Back