• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RANGE REPORT: Handguns

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Been to the pistol range lately? Have a target grouping you're proud of? Well let's see it. Let us know what pistol and ammo you used and at what distance you were shooting. Let's see what you've got...

Re: PISTOL Range Results

This target shows the first seven rounds at 25' out of my bone-stock XDm 9mm 4.5 shooting plain, vanilla Federal ammo from Wally World.

IMG00279-20100706-1835.jpg

As far as groupings go, it isnt great. It is however how my daughter shot the very first time she ever pulled the trigger on a handgun. Not just any handgun, but a 1911 .45. So what you see in the pic is from 2 magazines her first time EVER with a pistol in her hands!

Springfield 1911 Loaded A1, Federal Premium 230 gr FMJ.

199347_1678113627764_1085205913_31457809_6882891_n.jpg

This is 18 rnds,158 gr. LSWC at roughly 17 yards.The 20 yard marker light was out.
S&W Mod 66 4".
Bob

Attachments

• Target.jpg
    Target.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 1,152
  • Model 66.JPG
    Model 66.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 1,152

Center mass, very nice!

With shooting like that a BG's lights would be out too! ;)

It did OK.I found out that the rear sight spring is broken,no elevation adjustment available.I can replace it or hold over,either way.
Bob

Got out today to test out the new PRP Ultimate Match Target trigger I installed in my XD40sc. Unloaded three 12rd mags of Remington UMC 165 Grain FMJ into this 8" target @ 15yds...

Not bad for a 3" barrel subcompact. I absolutely LOVE the new trigger!

That's pretty nice.I can't afford to take my Bersas to the range,they won't let anyone collect their own brass.They reload it and sell it and only allow their reloads on the range.
I'm in the process of re-barreling my 66 to 2 1/2",I already have another S&W 4".
I'm wondering just how much difference the extra 1 1/2" will make.
Bob

Inside 50' I can't imagine it'd make a whole lot of difference. Let me know how it goes once you get her converted.

I'll post up a visual aid.
The ejector rod that came with it is about.150" too long to allow the cyl. to close(I think it's for a later model),so I need to cut that down without removing the temper.Other than that I just need to make frame inserts for the vice and it should be OK.
Bob

Question: How to get tight groups ???

I can get ok tight grouping when I slowly discharge my HK USP 45 but When I unload quick I cant seem to get a nice tight group ... I'm trying to learn how to get tight groups while discharging a 10rd mag in less than 5seconds... I know this may be sound noobish to you guys but for the life of me I cant do it ... Maybe because I'm near sighted and dont have my glasses in yet. But I have to re-set after every shot before I can get her close to the shot before...

Re: Question: How to get tight groups ???

I cant do it either!!! lol!

I don't think there are too many who can. That takes a lot of practice (ask Jerry Miculek :lol: ), breathing, wrist, eye-hand control - as well as a gun and loads that will allow quick follow-ups.

I can hold a pretty tight group with my CZ-75 in 9mm and in 40mm. I think the weight of the gun helps me there. I can also hold tight with almost all of my 45's, but they are are mostly 1911s.

When it comes to the poly frames, my Kahr is fairly decent but if you try to unload the mag too quick, you'll end up shooting branches out of trees and dropping birds and planes, as the recoil is going to have it climbing. :lol:

You might try different weight springs to see if that helps you. Then again, there would be those who would question why you would ever need to do this, too :roll:

Good points! And I am a firm believer in the cure to our most common shooting problems lies with more practice. There are thing thing to improve handling characteristics, but I know I personally can always use more trigger time!

Shoot from a gun vise! :D

Otherwise it's gonna be pretty difficult during rapid fire. The way I see it, as long as you can place the entire mag in center mass you're doin pretty well.

I can shoot pretty well with my old Itialian made Beretta .380 but with a .45 I'm all over the place ... I'm deadly accurate with arm shots (especially when I aim for center mass) Lol...

Back