• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RANGE REPORT: Handguns

Damn dude, I know that had to hurt like hell. Glad you came through it with only a scratch. I've been hit with multiple pellets of steel shot on a ricochet before, but never a large fragment like that.

BTW, is it just me or does it look like @mingaa "likes" that you got shot in the face? :p
Well - if you spend that much time in the field you want callouses and a tough hide, right?! :rolleyes:

Got together with a friend of mine who is also an asst instructor to the defensive pistol courses I've taken. He showed me some techniques for fast shooting and we also did some precision shooting. Eyeball exercise at 4 yards:

15938508837_d676950d16.jpg

nailed a few dead ball center. Go me. The rest of the shooting was pretty fun. Got a 1.5 avg draw and shoot speed and a .6 second shoot from close ready (chest ready) position on the buzzer.

Thanks guys. The shield was my first firearm purchased and I've put over 3K rounds through her and had her through four 8 hour defensive training courses. And I upgraded the trigger with an Apex kit. It's really accurate.

This week I'll work on my draw stroke and shooting. I'm also going to do some timed exercises at the range Friday and possibly Sunday.

thats a cool target

It's a fun command target that's for sure.

I ordered up 100 IDPA targets should get them in hopefully before Friday. Might as well practice on the targets I'm going to be shooting at all summer.

Have a back up gun match this Sunday.

Got some trigger time today and got a hold of some IDPA targets. S&W Shield 9mm is my match gun this round.

Last target of the session I did a fun drill:

3 yards - 3 shots rapid fire, reload, 2 shots rapid all center mass. Par time 5 seconds (Did this drill 2x)

7 yards - 2 shots rapid fire center mass, 1 shot head, reload, 2 shots center mass. Par time 5 seconds

10 yards - 2 shots rapid fire center mass, 1 shot head, reload, 2 shots center mass. Par time 5 seconds… missed par time by 1/2 a second.

17118303348_35737a365b.jpg

Can't wait till Sunday. Love me some courses!!

Have a back up gun match this Sunday.

Got some trigger time today and got a hold of some IDPA targets. S&W Shield 9mm is my match gun this round.

Last target of the session I did a fun drill:

3 yards - 3 shots rapid fire, reload, 2 shots rapid all center mass. Par time 5 seconds (Did this drill 2x)

7 yards - 2 shots rapid fire center mass, 1 shot head, reload, 2 shots center mass. Par time 5 seconds

10 yards - 2 shots rapid fire center mass, 1 shot head, reload, 2 shots center mass. Par time 5 seconds… missed par time by 1/2 a second.

17118303348_35737a365b.jpg

Can't wait till Sunday. Love me some courses!!
kick ass !

I really need to practice with my handguns. From about 15-20 ish yards I can get most of them in the black part of a regular target, but only once in a while do I not miss and actually hit the centre bullseye. And this is using a S&W M&P...with 148 grain wadcutters, I might be the worst shooter with the famous K-Frame Revolver LOL...but I have fun.

I do even worse with my Colt Police Positive .32 CNP...but it is just as fun to shoot.
Mark

if I'm not shooting a particular pistol for a while then pick it up it really showes.....for me to stay good with a pistol I need to shoot 50 or so rounds through it once a month
I can lay a rifle down for years pick it up and shoot it like I shot it everyday

Other than a .22, which I can do alright with when it comes to shooting cans, bottles etc. I have not fired a real centrefire rifle in years. Last time I fired any of my Lee-Enfields had to be a good four or five years ago... I do alright, I mean I qualed with the M-16A2 back in my youth. But these people who can put bullets into other bullet holes... I can barely stand straight long enough to steady the rifle before I start moving LOL. I guess if I were back in Alaska I'm confident that I could hit a moose good enough, but to hit a chipmunk without a scope, standing unsupported from "God only knows how far"...nope not going to happen from my rifle LOL.
Mark

Back