• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RANGE REPORT: Long Guns

I was getting a little cabin fever with all the snow we've been having lately, so I packed up my PM9 & M&P9 full-size and some ammo, and headed out to the range. I didn't know what to expect; I prefer the plinking range, which is usually not plowed like the rest of the ranges are at my club (last year my Jetta gun stuck in the snow/ice there and I messed up my clutch getting out). Fortunately, I now have a 4wd, so getting there and back was no problem.

The weather was nice - mostly sunny, with brief periods of snow. Temperature was right around freezing, but no wind to speak of at ground level.

The plinking range:

IMG00143-20110212-1149.jpg

Target at 7 yds:

IMG00144-20110212-1158.jpg

The PM9 waiting its turn:

IMG00075-20101223-0830.jpg

The PM9 taking a breather:

IMG00145-20110212-1206.jpg

When I get the XS banded sights for my Mossberg 500, this is where I'll pattern the buckshot.

Re: So who has gone shooting in the snow lately?

I was able to get out yesterday afternoon with the guy that runs the local shop I buy all my guns from. I brought my new Colt HBAR, Mini 14, Winchester 44 Mag lever and my new Henry Golden Boy Big Boy 45 Colt. We had a great time. The Colt HBAR was sighted in at 50 yards with about 4 clicks down and left. What a sweet shooting gun she is then went to 100 yards with it. The rest where equally fun with the 45 Colt being a fun one with open sights at 50 yards it was putting up some nice groups. The Winchester 44 Mag was shooting at 100 yards and groups where excellent with her too and another animal but nice round..

Then I got to shoot my buddies Browning BAR!!!! I brought 100 30.06 rounds for myself. HOLY @*&%!!! Heavy as a son of a B but recoil isn't all that bad. Man we had some fun. He also brought the Sten he just built, another animal....

p689786393-4.jpg

I went out shooting the other day in the snow. I don't like going more than a week without firing at least some of my firearms.

DaveinCT said:
I was able to get out yesterday afternoon with the guy that runs the local shop I buy all my guns from. I brought my new Colt HBAR, Mini 14, Winchester 44 Mag lever and my new Henry Golden Boy Big Boy 45 Colt. We had a great time. The Colt HBAR was sighted in at 50 yards with about 4 clicks down and left. What a sweet shooting gun she is then went to 100 yards with it. The rest where equally fun with the 45 Colt being a fun one with open sights at 50 yards it was putting up some nice groups. The Winchester 44 Mag was shooting at 100 yards and groups where excellent with her too and another animal but nice round..

Then I got to shoot my buddies Browning BAR!!!! I brought 100 30.06 rounds for myself. HOLY @*&%!!! Heavy as a son of a B but recoil isn't all that bad. Man we had some fun. He also brought the Sten he just built, another animal....

You got any pics of the BAR? That's on my short list of "If I Win the Lotto" guns.

Yep, there was still snow on the ground when we were out last! Its nearly gone now, its been near 50 degrees the last 2 days.

dirksterg30 said:
DaveinCT said:

You got any pics of the BAR? That's on my short list of "If I Win the Lotto" guns.

Updated pics with Magpul grip moved all the way forward, feels much better. Sweet smooth shootin baby here..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not adding anything else to this one. I will learn and shoot it just as it and if anything upgrade the iron sights if the stocks sights don't cut it but so far they are fine..

Very nice BAR, Dave. I've always liked the look of the M16A2/A3 aka Musket. I bet that is easy to shoot with that long sight radius. Got any pictures of the 'other' BAR?

I don't have any pics of his BAR or STEN. I'll bring my New Camera next time, hell I could have used my phone. He has the BAR at the store all the time. Not the prettiest gun going by any stretch and his stock isn't matching but he's got about $5000 into it!!! Thing is an animal and just eats up 30.06 rounds like nothing. The thing is HEAVY!!!!

Pics from the Rifle Range

My son and I went back to the Club I'm a member of now, our third trip since I joined 4 days ago!!! :)

We brought his SIG556, my ACR, 590A1, Saiga 12GA and the Hi Point 9mm carbine, we had a (no pun intended) BLAST!!!!!

And the flame coming from the SIG556!!!!! :shock: He was hitting the iron gong out 200 yards with iron sights very impressive for a 13 year old with very little shooting experience, the kid is a natural. He wants to become a Police Officer and then try to get into swat and with his size he should be able to it..

The 9mm carbine was alot of fun to shoot, hell everything was fun to shoot!!!! :cool:

Re: A couple range pics.

Holy Smokes, Great pics! Looks like you two have been having a lot of fun!

Some 50 Cal therapy!!

Met my buddy from the gun shop at the club today around 4pm. He brought his 50 Cal and Browning BAR along with his prized Mosin sniper and SCAR. I only took my Marlin 1894SS 44 mag and ACR. That 50 Cal was an absolute cannon!!! Dead on @ 200 yards and devastating the Iron plate out there. The BAR was fun too but the 50 was the toy of the day. $3 a shot with that 50 and he was very generous with letting us all fire it. I got about 10 shots with it.

Here's a pic of me shooting the 50, the pic was taken with Motorola Tundra, not too bad for a cell phone..

Re: Some 50 Cal therapy!!

I have yet to fire a .50 cal but it is on my list :twisted: . I bet that got your mind off things for a bit.

DAMN BRO!

That looks like fun. I've always wanted to send a few of those big boys down range. My LGS just got a .50BMG bolt-gun in yesterday. The thing weighed over 40lbs! I know you had to have been as happy as a kid in a candy store.

Oh yea fellas, this was a real treat!!!

The recoil and sheer concussion from it was amazing. His Browning BAR was another sweet toy to have the pleasure to shoot. Serious suppressive fire power from that bad boy and he let me rip through 4 or 5 20 round mags of 30.06..

I had my ACR and Marlin 1894 44 Magnum with me. I let his girlfriend try out my ACR and she liked it alot and to the point she told him she didn't want a SCAR, He already has one and planed on getting her one but he may buy her my used ACR at the shop.

Fun day was had, I needed it...

Those $3 rounds alone are impressive to behold! My daughter never gets tired of seeing those and thinking THAT ROUND goes in a rifle!

Nice day out man!

Rossignol said:
Those $3 rounds alone are impressive to behold! My daughter never gets tired of seeing those and thinking THAT ROUND goes in a rifle!

Nice day out man!

Thanks, Brad it was good fun seeing things are a little gloomy right now. I'm finding range time is some of my best therapy yet to ease the mind and to throw in the chance to fire a 50, awesome stuff!!!!

I stopped by my LGS on Saturday and they'd just taken in a Vulcan V50SS-300 bolt-action. The damn thing weighs 30lbs and is one mean lookin piece of machinery.

I'm right down the road from the Barrett HQ. I need to stop by and pay 'em a visit. They have a .50 BMG training course that you can sign up for. It's not cheap, but it'd be a whole lotta fun!

This 50 that I shot was hand made by a friend of the Father of my buddy who owns it, he only made 2. My buddies Dad bought them both for $2500 sold my buddy one for $900 and sold the other one for $3500. Shot real nice and with the massive scope and all 200 yards was toying with it..

Not something I'm interested in owning, it would be too expensive to feed but a good conversation piece!!!

I'm inclined to agree. I wouldnt want to own one, I'd take a 30.06 any day! I always enjoy seeing them though!

Back