• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RANGE REPORT: Long Guns

Re: AR 15 7.62x39 range report...

John A. said:
First off, some of it may be a magazne issue.

The Pmag was never designed for the x39 round. True that you may can fit a few rounds in a mag, but using it would be iffy at best.

AR stoner mags historically have been made from various manufacturers, but in the case of x39 mags, there are only a few companies who have ever made them. Cproducts, and whatever the new company that is using their tooling is named. ASC or something like that????

Usually a short stroke problem is a gassing issue. Whether the front sight post is aligned with the gas port or a host of other things. A lighter buffer may do it, but I would wonder why the x39 round wasn't strong enough to cycle the bolt fully to begin with. The ST2 buffer isn't much heavier than a regular buffer anyway.

Thanks John A. I agree it was a gassing issue. First thing I did when I had the problem was check for signs of leaks around the gas block. Normally there would be gas residue but the area around the gas block was clean. I have no alignment tool for the gas tube holes so I can't be sure. Spring and buffer was the easiest solution for me. If I have the proper tools and know how, I would increase the size of the gas port hole.

Re: AR 15 7.62x39 range report...

I'm not aware of a gas port alignment tool, however, if you can stick a foam earplug in the chamber and let it swell out, and then run some compressed air into the muzzle, you should be able to feel the air coming into the receiver/out of the gas tube.

That's probably the easiest way to make sure the gas block/port are aligned.

The port size may not need increased, but rather possibly aligned a little better. Especially if the gas block has those set screws. The ones with taper pins are much more difficult to tweak and usually have to break out a bigger hammer and whack it a few times.

That may not be the most scientific way to do it, but always worked for me LOL

Wow, we had a great day today! As mentioned earlier, we took the Mossberg 715T, High Point .45 Carbine and the H&R 3P to the indoor range today. The little bit of cleaning and lubing after unboxing sure paid off...after a few hundred rounds, we had ZERO issues with any of the guns :) In addition, I was trying some new (inexpensive) ammo I've never shot before. To be honest, I was pretty much expecting to have at least a few FTF or FTE since each firearm was new and using untested ammo. But it was a solid, fun and trouble free day!

I'm pretty wore out to do any in-depth reviews/range reports tonight, but I'll get on it in the morning. I can tell ya' though, everything is going to be positive :)

That's awesome!

I've always said that even a bad day at the range is better than a good day at the office. Glad you had a good one...

Got out to the new range with a couple rifles this morning. I've posted details of the facilities here for anyone interested...

New 1000yd Range Opening in Chapel Hill, TN

Arrived at about 8:30am, 70 degrees, partly cloudy, with very little wind other than intermittent left to right gusts from 5-15 mph. Other than occasionally waiting out the wind it was a great day for it...

Started with the 20" .223 Remy 700, firing 55gr Fed. American Eagle FMJ (AE223J)...

Confirmed my 100yd zero...

...then stretched it out to 300yd. Worked up my dope and after a few rounds was able to put up this 3 shot group...

Not too shabby for bulk grade ammo... :D

Next up was the 18" SPR, firing 55gr Fed. XM193 FMJ...

...same here, confirmed the 100yd zero...

...then moved out to 300yd for a bit. I liked this 3 shot group in the noggin... :D

Had one box of 5.56 left and decided to send a few to the 500yd berm. Held over about 3.5 feet and using Kentucky windage, walked a couple shots over from the right and managed to put up this first group...

Made a the necessary scope adjustments, and my groups tightened up a bit. On the last relay of the day I scored a hit center mass, but thought the wind took my last two shots off target. Was pleasantly surprised seeing this on the drive up to the berm...

After that I cleaned up, packed up my gear, and drove home with a big 'ole grin on my face... :D

Thank you Sir!

I love it out there. It's a full hour drive to get there, but very much worth it...

Thank you Sir!

This was the first time I'd been able to reach out that far with either rifle. Farthest distance at the other range in town is 200yd. Having access to this place now has definitely made me a happy camper... :D

Forgot to mention, I had a doe with a little fawn following behind walk through my scope twice yesterday. I was holding on the 500yd target waiting for the wind to die down and she just casually strolled across my field of view about 50yd in front of the berm. Guess she wasn't too concerned with the few rounds I had sent down a couple minutes earlier. She went off into the brush and I fired off a few more. Ten minutes or so later she crossed again, going back the way she came. It was pretty damn cool to watch through a rifle scope...

Got back out yesterday.

No pictures this time though. Took the SCAR 16s and mid-length AR, EOTech 512 and iTac 3x optic mounted respectively, to ping some steel out to 300yd. Had a blast! There's something very rewarding about hearing your bullet smack a steel silhouette at 300yd... :D

You bet!

It was 95 degrees and humid as all get out. After three hours the smile faded and it was all I could do to carry my gear back to the truck. The smile did come back after a cool shower though. Took a buddy of mine from the local PD to check out the facility and got him signed up. He was grinning from ear to ear the whole time... :D

Back