• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Range Time Targets, what do you use?

aksavanaman

Work In Progress...
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Thought this would be the best place to start this thread...

I'm curious what you guys are using for targets. I mean most of us have probably used everything from traditional paper bulls eyes to Bleeding Zombie 3D Targets, to soda cans and clays. Post up pictures or share the good and bad of what you've tried. I'm also interested in seeing some mounting solutions for paper targets... DIY and production. Any good home made of fabricated steel plates? Anything goes... as long as you can shoot at it. We'll even accept TV's... as long as you're cleaning up after yourself!

I'll start off with a bit of humor... I think I'll have to credit Gunny... he's used this before (the image of course :lol: )

militarycomplaining.jpg

Tom396 said:
http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4488

I've also found a use for old political campaign signs. :D Take care. Tom Worthington.

,,,,,,good one Tom,and i'll bet i know your favorite. :lol:

Tom396 said:
http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4488

I've also found a use for old political campaign signs. :D Take care. Tom Worthington.

BIRDS! :lol:

...ok... back to MY topic :twisted:

disposable plates
paper with bullseye circles drawn on them using a black sharpie marker
balloons

Yeah, I'm cheap. I spend enough on guns and ammo, so I'm not going to spend a lot of money on things I know I am going to shoot all to pieces.

shooting001_zpsab7a43c6.jpg

Typical of our makeshift shooting gallery.

I love reactive targets.

Balloons work well. Clays of course. Soda pop cans/bottles. Old propane cans work too as you can see above. But the best of all..........

http://www.tannerite.com/frequent-quest ... g-targets/

:D Always brings a smile to your face. Expensive but absolutely worth it. Sadly we've only done a few out there at my buds place. Need to get some more.

Those paper targets from Birchwood Casey work well for sighting in. Really like the Shoot NC and Dirty Birds too. I like the splattering effect they provide at distance, easy to see instant results without having to go cold and walk down range. We used to shoot alot of iron sighted milsurp rifles so no glass available on the rifle or in the form of a spotting scope if shooting more than 50 yards.

Also just asking nicely at the grocery store for spare cardboard works great too in a pinch.

Sometimes you can get scrap wood for stupid cheap at a lumber or home supply store. Also in the picture above the metal frame is one of those "realtor" for sale signs. We had a few more but they finally corroded beyond usage. Even the ones they use for political purpose "vote for me" signage work well too. Ask the various campaign managers after an election if they can spare any signs. Some will, some won't. We've used plenty of those in the past.

We are like John A, don't usually spend too much on paper targets unless we are seriously sighting in something. Then a proper target frame and paper target are a must. Also I rarely remember the staple gun or more importantly to buy staples for one :D While proper targets have thier purpose its usually more fun to just go and blast up sheeit.

Just be careful and know your target and whats beyond it. Any ricochets or splatter up close can really ruin your day. Especially with steel core milsurp stuff.

YMMV as usual.

jgwills said:
Just be careful and know your target and whats beyond it. Any ricochets or splatter up close can really ruin your day. Especially with steel core milsurp stuff.

YMMV as usual.

Always good advice! I usually try to make sure I've got a berm behind the target... or know for sure that i've got miles of woods and mountains behind my target (not hard up here :D )

Forgot to mention we have a few of those bouncing around self healing targets. Again, when shooting at those keep distance and realize the danger involved. Rocks on the ground shooting at those can cause you a world of hurt if you don't keep sufficient distance.

Which reminds me to mention as I should have already always wear ballistic rated eye wear. You are only blessed with one pair of eyeballs in your lifetime. All it takes is a fragment coming back at you and its all over.

I like to save big pieces of cardboard for use at the range (they also make nice matts for doing auto work).

I will use paper plates, stickers, pop cans, clays, etc for things to aim at. If all else fails a circle made with a sharpie or an "X" maded from blue painters tape/masking tape work. I've even used leaves stapled to the cardboard when I ran out of other stuff.

I will occasionally use the shoot-n-see targets but find a stack of cheap paper plates go a lot furthur.

When I was a kid we would spend hours shooting at spent shotgun hulls, rifle brass and pine cones with our pellet/bb guns.

I have a lot of paper targets on file. Most are 8.5 x 11" and I print a master and run them off at a copy shop. I have a number of variations on the center of a B27 target - played around for best visibility at 100'.
Here's a couple:
8735057073_87d67775cd.jpg

8736177980_4afe9958c5.jpg

...and some I design. This one is running in a pistol shootout on another website this month:
8735068579_95f48bb12f.jpg

Most fond of these in competition!
0.jpg
:D

MikeD said:
When I was a kid we would spend hours shooting at spent shotgun hulls, rifle brass and pine cones with our pellet/bb guns.

As kids we loved when mom made pies or even better a turkey in one of those disposable roasting pans. We would save all the tin year round to use especially at thanksgiving or christmas. Part of the fun after lunch was hanging out with my cousins shooting holes in all the pie plates with our Red Ryders all afternoon. Good memories.

jgwills said:
shooting001_zpsab7a43c6.jpg

Typical of our makeshift shooting gallery.

This is about as accurate for me as it could get, next to having an actual picture of what I shoot at haha
Until I sight in for deer, I figure if I can hit every little orange clay with one shot, I can hit a ground hog with no problem lol

Wow Oli - you will have a museum exhibition before you know it!!

So it's a big target but a 'hit' is silent? Shooting through one of the voids?! That's pretty outside the box! Or, erm, inside the box. Tell us more - are the gongs part of it or just more traditional steel!?

like this but a little different, with the steel at greater angles and more smaller steels
http://youtu.be/7T5uHBHlnLo

the bottom slot it too low for prone with an AR so you have to lay on your side, the lowest step on the side it a little too high for a comfortable prone on purpose. The slots are in inconvenient places that make you hunch and bend because you have to stay behind the cover of the barrier as you run through the openings. I want to place gongs in places that forces you to shoot left handed as well……

Might number the openings and do a time thing when GUN POWDER starts coming back around
But for now there are enough openings and positions to score one hit them move, only 5 rounds per mag so it forces mag changes…..IDK getting board and this rifle is screaming to be used in such a manner lol

Back