• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Range Time Targets, what do you use?

Itsricmo said:
Okay, Battleship is freaking genius! Now if I only had a rifle that was accurate for the job haha
Still haven't gotten my 30-06 out to test the waters.

LES, I want to see some results of this! I am infatuated with your AICS 2.0 :D

You got the H&R back????Where are the pictures dude???? ;)

Wow, shooting a Battleship Competition with .308 rifles might get darned expensive.

But I like it!

Not something we'd do all the time, but definitely a lot of fun for a friendly competition...

aksavanaman said:
You got the H&R back????Where are the pictures dude???? ;)

Yeah I have had it for like a month now. Just finished moving all into the new house and working on fixing some stuff.... I absolutely hate plumbing work FWIW :lol:

But here she is :)

I am thinking about getting a better scope.
This one is a freebie H&R 3-9x but I want a Bushnell 2-7x that Walmart has.

Thanks! It's not quite your AICS 2.0 but I think she will get the job done haha
When I got it back from the factory there were blobs of some strange goop all over the barrel. It came right off with some cosmoline and the factory didn't know what it was from. Maybe the mailman got excited? :lol:

But too keep this thread on track... range time target for me is.....

It is a mild steel plate I got from some place I was working at while furloughed. Works really well for your typical ammo types. It takes steel core pretty well, but still takes a pounding. I think it is 5/8" thick.. never really measured lol

Here you can see the nice hole put in there by my Mosin and the splash of copper jacket.

and a perfectly spherical protrusion from the impact on the other side lol

Just 100 yards with the Mosin... I haven't had a chance to drift the front sight on it. I was Kentucky Windage'ing it this time around haha

Thanks! :D I almost got the Brass Stacker scope mount for it but I don't want to get stuck with $120+ in scope and mount for $100 gun lol

Great pics bro.

We've got a couple square steel plates like that at the range that are all beat to hell. Picture the impact on yours but with about 100 more around it. The AR 500 steel targets take everything we throw at it with not so much as a dimple. That stuff is expensive though...

There are a few mild steel gongs at my 500yd range I am sure are pretty similar to yours LES lol They literally have gone through hell! Can't say I have ever shot AR500 steel but I have seen plenty of videos on the armor that one company makes.

The AR500 plates are insanely tough.

We had a work day at the range yesterday and had to replace the sides of the wood target frames next to the steel targets. The lead splatter off the steel had chewed almost all the way through the wood frames that sat about four feet off to either side...

That is some serious stuff! Now I know why everyone complained about why AR500 Armor never had Spall Mitigation haha

only thing that's put a mark in the one I have hanging here is a 3"federal slug from about 15 yards, was right on the edge. other than that its took 7.62x39, 7.62x54, .308, .22-250, and lots and lots of handgun and shotgun rounds.

ebute6us.jpg

I do not recommend this procedure due to the inherent danger of propelling a high velocity projectile at a steel plate. And understanding the subsequent equal and opposite reaction I have performed this process at my own risk.

That being said a few hours in the shop, and some scrap AR500 from the junk pile at work, this is what i came up with.

Back