• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rayovac Indestructible 100 Lumen Flashlight Mounted (w pics)

Gus

.22LR
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share the results of my test today. I have 4 of these, super cheap, super reliable, super durable flashlights:

Rayovac Indestructible 2 AA 100 Lumen Flashlight - Model # DIY2AA-B

Rayovac-Indestructible-Light-e1315577319352-224x300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rayovac-...en-Flashlight-DIY2AA-B/202968168#.UdW7zHy-npU

I bought the first one at Home Depot probably a year ago and recently I decided to buy one (my fourth) and mount it on the shotgun to see if it could stand the muzzle shock.

2wfq1bb.jpg

4idlkp.jpg

2rmkxh0.jpg

2j10tip.jpg

I figured, if this "indestructible" flashlights breaks within a couple of shots then I'm only out $14.99, if it actually works then I found myself probably the cheapest "sort-of-reliable" shotgun mounted light there is.

I put 20 rounds through it and the light performed awesome on the shotgun; the only complaint is that is not too bright, it's only 100 lumen compared to the Surefire X300 Ultra I have on my P226 which is 500 lumen. However, at night, the light from the shotgun gets the job done!

So, if you are in the market for a good and cheap light, give this one a shot, it's only $14.99, it has a "clicky" cap with constant on or slight preasure for momentary on. It's also Water-Proof, I have seen them at Home Depot in display 'On' at the bottom of a clear water container for hours and hours without fail.

We'll see what happens after I put about 100 rounds through it but for now I can't say enough good things about it. I was planning on replacing it eventually with an Elzetta Flashlight but to be honest, I think I rather carry the Elzetta on me always and leave the Rayovac mounted on the shotgun until it breaks some day.

I just wanted to share the news since I did some research on my own and couldn't find anybody who actually mounted the light and shot a few rounds to make sure it didn't break in a million pieces.

Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions. :)

Re: Rayovac Indestructible 100 Lumen Flashlight Mounted (w p

Very nice!

I'm lookin forward to your update once you've sent a few rounds down range with it mounted...

Haven't mounted it to a gun but I've used the same light for hunting a couple seasons now and the darn thing holds up well to abuse..

They make a smaller headlamp as well and I highly recommend it.

Few quick questions

What color is the light? White or blue?

Is it LED or regular bulb?

Approximately how wide is the main spread on the beam at ~30 feet

Is the spread fairly the same brightness, or are there dark spots?

The ad says there is 2 brightness settings. 18 lumens and 100 lumens. When you turn on the clicky, do you have to cycle from 18 lumens to 100 lumens, or can you set and forget it to 100 lumens?

How long do the batteries last on 18 lumens, and again on 100 lumens?

Thanks for the time to answer my questions. But if I can spend $15 on a decent light, I prefer to do that than spend $40+ on one.

Especially since this takes AA batteries. That is a big plus for me since I'm set up with a ton of rechargeables and AC and solar chargers in an emergency.

If these would make good weapon lights, I would consider replacing all my existing Surefire G2 nitrolon lights with these. Mostly because of the CR123 battery, but also because it is brighter, and LED's last a lot longer.

John A. said:
Few quick questions

What color is the light? White or blue? White

Is it LED or regular bulb? LED

Approximately how wide is the main spread on the beam at ~30 feet I do not recall but it threw a better beam than most other cheap LED lights I've tried.

Is the spread fairly the same brightness, or are there dark spots? Mine was pretty even with probably a slight more intensity in the center.

The ad says there is 2 brightness settings. 18 lumens and 100 lumens. When you turn on the clicky, do you have to cycle from 18 lumens to 100 lumens, or can you set and forget it to 100 lumens? You have to cycle through. If I remember correctly if you just push and hold the button it comes on full (I could be confused and I don't have it in front of me.

How long do the batteries last on 18 lumens, and again on 100 lumens? I used to for several trips out and back from my hunting stand, as a general flashlight at my cabin and and for following a blood trail and only replaced the batteries once. I'm not sure how many hours that was, I only used it on the higher 100 lumens setting.

Thanks for the time to answer my questions. But if I can spend $15 on a decent light, I prefer to do that than spend $40+ on one.

Especially since this takes AA batteries. That is a big plus for me since I'm set up with a ton of rechargeables and AC and solar chargers in an emergency.

If these would make good weapon lights, I would consider replacing all my existing Surefire G2 nitrolon lights with these. Mostly because of the CR123 battery, but also because it is brighter, and LED's last a lot longer.

Overall I was pretty impressed with it. It is a little heavy and has oversized rubber grips that tend to get caught up in your pocket but worth the $$ IMHO. I've been a die hard Maglight guy for a long time but this was better and cheaper than the Maglight LED's I've tried.

MikeD pretty much answered your questions but I can add a couple of things:

The clicky cap has two modes and this is how it works:

1. Click it for 100 Lumen.
2. Click for Off.
3. Click for 18 lumen.
4. Click for off.

The light has "short term memory", meaning that it will remember your last setting for a short period of time, not sure how long, but it works like this:

1. Click it for On at 100 lumen, click for off.
2. If you click again within a few minutes if it will turn on at 18 lumen as described above, however, if you don't click it for (I believe) 15 minutes (it could be 5, again I don't know), the light will turn on at 100 Lumen. This is perfect for the shotgun because I don't have to remember to leave it at a certain memory setting, I know that after a few minutes it will turn on to 100 lumen, always.

All the settings described above work for momentary On too by pressing the clicky cap but not all the way to the end (until it clicks).

ONE WARNING: There is a 3-cell model of this same light. DO NOT BUY IT. Multiple reasons:

1. It's a 3-cell D battery instead of AA, which I have a ton at home, at the office, you can take it out of one of the remote controllers in case of emergency, whatever. You can buy a huge pack of AA batteries for $9.99 at Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club, whatever you use. Really inexpensive.

2. The clicky cap works differently: This is the biggest reasons of why I dislike the 140 lumen model. The way the cap works on that one is Click for 140 lumen, click for 18 lumen, click for off. No momentary On, no Off in between mode, No memory. I wish the cap worked like the 100 lumen model!

In summary, I was very happy with the light for months before trying it in a shotgun, as I mentioned on my original post, I shot 20 12GA Slugs through it, 10 with the light on and 10 with the light off, that thing didn't even flinch. It works very well and it is very inexpensive.

I even put my Raven Concealment Clip on one of them to see if it fit; the clip is created for tactical lights like the Surefire models but the clip fits perfectly n the Rayovac, check it out:

2wp4aww.jpg

2jc6hj9.jpg

348rtyx.jpg

2gxfhi0.jpg

330fr0m.jpg

ymkba.jpg

I'll be happy to make a video of the light on the Shotgun if y'all want to see how it works!

You can make a video if you like, but between both of you, I'm sold and will be getting one.

Hi, Gus.

The light looks pretty good. How does it compare at across the room (or down the hallway) distances against the ElZetta ZFL-M60 you have on your 930? BTW, does your ElZetta have the flood or focused beam lens?

The Raven ring/clip looks really good. Where is the best place to buy one?

I see the Rayovac is rated at 15-hours... would you think it's fair to say that it'll easily do 10-hours?

nitesite said:
Hi, Gus.

The light looks pretty good. How does it compare at across the room (or down the hallway) distances against the ElZetta ZFL-M60 you have on your 930? BTW, does your ElZetta have the flood or focused beam lens?

The Raven ring/clip looks really good. Where is the best place to buy one?

I see the Rayovac is rated at 15-hours... would you think it's fair to say that it'll easily do 10-hours?

A little story behind the ZFL-M60: I don't have one, I was going to order one back in April but since it was $200+ I just told my wife to buy it for me for Father's Day. So about a month before Father's Day I read that Elzetta announced a new 500+ lumen model to be released this summer so I decided to wait longer for that model. Since I knew I was getting the ZFL-M60 at some point, I went ahead and bought the shotgun mount for it.

Since a flashlight mount without a flashlight looks silly, I went ahead and installed the Rayovac to see if it fit and it was a perfect fit. I was afraid it was going to break after a couple of shots so I decided to take it to the range and test it, I rather it fail there than failing in a moment where I really need it.

Since it worked so well, I decided to leave the Rayovac mounted on the shotgun and buy the Elzetta (whenever it comes out) for EDC hence the Raven Concealment clip.

I ordered the clip at their website so I'm not sure if there is a better place to get it. It is a perfect fit on the Rayovac and from what I've read it will be a perfect fit for the Elzetta light as well.

I was originally going to buy the 20-degree flood lens for the shotgun but since I'm not going to use it in the shotgun anymore I am now thinking about getting the 8-degree lens with the 500+ lumen model that's coming out.

Regarding the 10-15 hours question, I really don't know, I've used the first flashlight a lot since I bought it and I can't remember replacing the batteries, maybe I did it once before but I certainly don't use it for long periods of time.

It would be silly to compare the best flashlight in the world with a $15 Rayovac made in china, I would compare the Rayovac wit other $10-$15 flashlights and I can honestly say that I don't think there is a better one out there.

Quick update:

I have put a couple hundred rounds through the shotgun since installing this little light and it's still working like it is brand new.

I was afraid that after shooting a couple of rounds the light was going to come apart or simply stop working but I have shot about 150 slugs, 75 bird shot rounds and about 15 3'' Turkey Loads through it and the light is still working just fine with no signs of wear.

This thing is awesome!

I'm still going to get one, just haven't had the extra money to pick one up.

I wasn't really expecting to have to buy a new 50 gallon hot water heater.

There's another economical light you might consider. I'm using a light sold in 3-packs at Costco ($15 on sale + tax) that has so far held up to 150 rounds of slugs and 00 buck. That comes out to about $5.30 a light out-the-door.

Techlite Lumen Master 250-Lumen CREE XPG-R4 LED Tactical Flashlight

It has three settings: low-high-strobe

I think for HD use it would be better if the first setting was high instead of low. However, if you press and hold for momentary-on it does go directly to high. It runs on three AAA batteries.

Finally got one and liked it.

It lights up the areas in my house and yard really well.

And since AA is one of my main battery power sources, is all the better. I have a bunch of rechargeable AA's and several means to keep them powered, so this worked out ideal for my purposes.

Back