• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Real survivalists

Gunner

.270 WIN
There are some who I consider to be real survivalists and admire, like Les Stroud. He has a show and tell approach to what he is doing...Dave Canterbury, he does some good You tube videos and Cody Lundin who has written a couple of awesome books on the subject. I also like Lawrence Gonzales book, Deep Survival.

The point is there is an abundance of survival type information available, most of it is good some of it is worthless and some so erronious that it will flat out get you injured or dead. When it comes to real survivalists...The ones that actually know what they're doing...I think there is only a handful...

5fGxrl.jpg

Bear is entertaining... I wouldn't say I would follow much he does, sometimes he says something good. Not one I would rely on for much more than a good laugh.

Yep...it'll be cold day in hell before I drink my own piss. Blech!

Cmon nobody has even mentioned "MacGyver" :cool:

"A paperclip can be a wondrous thing. More times than I can remember, one of these has gotten me out of a tight spot." -MacGyver. 1985

I almost forgot about Larry Dean Olsen...He was into primative survival skills (bushcrafting) in the 70's.

Mel Tappan oh yeah!

McGyver....uhmmm...should one be creative like McGyver? yes...emulate Mcgyver?...I dunno about that...LOL

Mcgyver always seemed to have exactly what he needed just laying around...I'm not that lucky...though it would be nice...LOL

Gunner said:
Mcgyver always seemed to have exactly what he needed just laying around...I'm not that lucky...though it would be nice...LOL
yeah, but he also had the software to know what to do with the common items that were available. And alot of times, it only worked in theory, but thru the magic of TV, it worked perfectly.

We've been watching episodes of Survivor Man on Netflix. I really question some of Stroud's approach. As an example, he prioritizes making a mattress over finding water while in the desert. IIRC, he also prioritized making a mattress over building a fire while in the desert - with temps dropping down enough to leave frost on the ground overnight.

I haven't seen that episopde. Les Stroud goes out for a week and films his experience and then has to edit it down to less than one hour. If that was the only episode a person ever saw then they might come away with a skewed perspective... that a mattress was very important.

If a person kept things in perspective, not bashing, then they got a decent lesson in mattress making in the episode.

I don't think, Les Stroud or anybody, for that matter can predict what a persons priorites will be or in what order they neeed to be addressed. What he does is film mini "how to" segments in different settings. You can only get so much of a weeks worth of film into an hour. I think he does a good job of that...My approach may well be different than Les Strouds, yet I can appreciate his approach, what he does and how he does it...

Gunner said:
I haven't seen that episopde. Les Stroud goes out for a week and films his experience and then has to edit it down to less than one hour. If that was the only episode a person ever saw then they might come away with a skewed perspective... that a mattress was very important.

If a person kept things in perspective, not bashing, then they got a decent lesson in mattress making in the episode.

I don't think, Les Stroud or anybody, for that matter can predict what a persons priorites will be or in what order they neeed to be addressed. What he does is film mini "how to" segments in different settings. You can only get so much of a weeks worth of film into an hour. I think he does a good job of that...My approach may well be different than Les Strouds, yet I can appreciate his approach, what he does and how he does it...

I've been to the desert ... for days, sometimes weeks on end. Water would be a much higher priority for me than a mattress.

It's not the only episode I've watched. Either the producers regularly get the sequence of events out of order or I'm confused by Les' priorities. It is interesting and educational to see some of the things Stroud does. It just seems that he focuses less on the basics and more on extraneous activities.

Mudinyeri said:
Gunner said:

I've been to the desert ... for days, sometimes weeks on end. Water would be a much higher priority for me than a mattress.

It's not the only episode I've watched. Either the producers regularly get the sequence of events out of order or I'm confused by Les' priorities. It is interesting and educational to see some of the things Stroud does. It just seems that he focuses less on the basics and more on extraneous activities.
I haven't really noticed the order. Im sure some gets cut just out of time constraints.

It seems like after watching his "off the grid" show, I was left with the impression that there was some serious creative differences between him and the discovery channel. Afterall, there are only three seasons of survivorman. Even the early episodes with Man V Wild were different than they are now.

Back