• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Really bummed 930 woes!

Komodoj

.270 WIN
ED3BF6AF-C007-4B97-B76B-6A9F552AD50A_zpsicjq9mfs.jpg
D93BD042-66FA-48D1-9432-368B0B7084B2_zpshx7rmofc.jpg
So I bought this Mossberg 930 used from a reputable gun store and upon cleaning thoroughly tonight I noticed this major crack in the barrel tang? I wonder how it happened. The only history I know about the gun is that the previous owner didn't have the barrel nut screwed down all the way and he had some issues with it that Mossberg addressed. Only reason I asked was because some of the mag tube parts looked new. So could a loose barrel nut cause this crack. Anyone's thoughts. Ty in advance

Looks like Mossberg didn't address the cracked barrel tang.

Or, they did and it happened at a later time.

With the barrel improperly installed and essentially "loose", I could see extra stress being added to the rear tang, but I wonder what the inside of the receiver looks like?

Either way, the barrel is toast. I'm curious how many rounds has been through it. Altogether, and then after the repair?

Oh, btw, I'm MPA Guy on uzitalk ;)

Welcome to mossbergowners.

Ha small world. Just don't know what to do. Buy a new barrel or scrap the whole thing. The gun dealer did say the previous guy did not have the barrel nut screwed call the way down on his last outing. The Reciever has some wear but I inspected it the best I could. Your thoughts?

I'd first contact Mossberg and have them look at it and then go from there.

One word of caution though, many of their csr's read scripted responses and are not very helpful.

There is a supervisors direct contact info here on the site if you did by chance need to escalate to that.

The local dealer you bought it from may take it back too since he does know some of the background of it too. Sounds like whoever traded it to them probably knew it was cracked and just wanted to let it be someone elses problem.

That turd.

Mossberg has been having some decent barrel sales as of late on their web site. That said, the whole gun needs to go back as there are going to be issues beyond that with the amount of wear at the mating with the receiver. If the local gun store doesn't take it back, that is.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

I got joes email doing some internet ivestegating. I emailed him of what to do? Hope he replies? Thank you guys for all your help! :)

Why did you not bring it back to the store you bought it from? Most reputable shops would make good on a bad gun. But the longer you wait, the less likely they would make good.

Unless you bought it "as-is" and at a discount. In that case I would try a different barrel--I don't know what Mossberg will do for you... What did the inside of the receiver look like?

Why did you not bring it back to the store you bought it from? Most reputable shops would make good on a bad gun. But the longer you wait, the less likely they would make good.

Unless you bought it "as-is" and at a discount. In that case I would try a different barrel--I don't know what Mossberg will do for you... What did the inside of the receiver look like?
Its on its way back to Mossberg? That was the reccomendation of the gun shop owner. Will have to wait and see mossys reply and then go from there.

So it looks like mossberg recieved my shotty on friday. I have tried to reach out to Mr. Zakher on several occasions through email but he has not replied back. So I guess it is in the great hands of the mossy techs. I'll keep this thread updated as to when they get around to looking at it and there prognosis. Thank you to all that have helped me out on this. Fingers crossed they replace the barrel and fix what needs fixing if need be.

Joseph just reached out to me and there working on it. Fingers crossed. But what a great guy. Ty to the forum to getting me in contact with him.

Latest update. I got a call from Joseph at Mossberg last week asking me some routine questions then all of a sudden I got a FedEx tracking label sent to me this am and I noticed the address was from mossberg? Wonder if they fixed it? Returned it and said good luck to you? Or ??

I would assume they would have fixed it, but in a few days when its' returned back to you, just let us know.

Got the 930 back today. Brand new barrel and a few other minor things were replaced and it was test fired using various loads. Guess the Reciever was ok? Very. Very. Very happy and a big shot out to Zakher!!! Thank you Mossberg!!!!

Back