• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Rear sight that works with stock front bead?

GStam66

.22LR
Hey everyone, I've tried searching this site as well as Google, for a rear sight I can install that would work with the stock front bead, and all I'm seeing are advertisements for ghost rings and scopes/red dots.

The shotgun is primarily for HD/surprise zombie attacks, so while I don't plan sighting it in for slugs at 100yds away, I'd still like it to have the capability for accuracy at longer-than-living-room distances.

Flip-up sights have been a thought, but I'd have to either solder the front sight (i'd rather not), or go with a full rail system so the sights can be mounted and removed as needed.

Ideally I'd like to throw on just a rear sight to help with alignment, and I'd be ok with screwing in a raised front bead to compensate for the height of the rear.

Any ideas/suggestions, lemme know! :cool:

Stock bead…..nothing. The stock brass bead is designed to be used with the flat top of the receiver as the rear sight.

You can be minute of paper plate with a little practice with the bead.

Practice with the correct sight picture. You will be amazingly accurate when you get it down. I came get a center mass shot all day at 100 with the bead…..once you learn where your particular shotgun is putting holes you adjust your hold from there. Most of them are point of aim at 50 yards

^I'll second Oli

While you could install a rear ghost ring sight, it would not give you the proper alignment to be able to make an accurate shot... your sight picture would include half of the barrel and the itty bead sight.

If you're set on actual sights, I would either search for a used barrel with the raised front sight base, or send it off to a place like Vang Comp Systems to have a front sight silver soldered on.

Iused a clip on tru-glow (or similar) sight combined with the front bead to take a turkey a few years ago (the barrel had a vent rib). There was no adjustment but I gave a little more stability of alignment. Aside from that I/;m not sure what will be low profile enouigh to keep the proper line of sight.

If you have a VR barrel there are a few clip/clamp on options. If you do not have a VR barrel you will be a little more limited esp if you plan on keeping the front bead as is.

GStam66 said:
Hey everyone, I've tried searching this site as well as Google, for a rear sight I can install that would work with the stock front bead, and all I'm seeing are advertisements for ghost rings and scopes/red dots.

The shotgun is primarily for HD/surprise zombie attacks, so while I don't plan sighting it in for slugs at 100yds away, I'd still like it to have the capability for accuracy at longer-than-living-room distances.

Flip-up sights have been a thought, but I'd have to either solder the front sight (i'd rather not), or go with a full rail system so the sights can be mounted and removed as needed.

Ideally I'd like to throw on just a rear sight to help with alignment, and I'd be ok with screwing in a raised front bead to compensate for the height of the rear.

A point to be made: Don't deceive yourself - you're talking about combat here. No fancy sight is going to do you any good at HD ranges. You won't be able to get a sight picture in the dark, and you won't have time to screw around with it. Try it for yourself. Learn to aim with your body and the barrel. Practice using High Tuck or similar stances - if you're dumb enough to be standing up making a huge target of yourself (has been discussed at length on this forum). Understand that fighting with a shotgun is not the same as shooting a shotgun. Understand that your opponent may very well be shooting back. Shoot from cover or on the floor. Don't use a light - it just tells the other guy where to shoot. The muzzle flash will give away your position, so shoot once and move - roll, sidestep, whatever, just don't be where you were on the last shot.

Sorry to sound preachy, but way too many people think that some fancy sight set up is going to save their ass. Won't happen. You have to be smarter and faster than the other guy.

Thanks for all the input everyone! :)

Yeah, I know in a HD situation there won't be time to line up the sights/scope perfectly. (tell that to the gf though lol, when I told her I was considering using buckshot she jokingly told me I better not hit anything besides the intended target unless I want to buy her new stuff.)

I'm still getting used to the gun, the ATI forend I have on it now isn't as comfortable as I thought. The stock one is starting to feel better. If I swap em back though I'll have to relocate the light.
I'll try to get better with the current bead sight before trying out a different one. Not gonna do any of the soldering though, whatever I do I don't want it to be permanent.

Thanks again for the input guys!

GunnyGene said:
GStam66 said:

A point to be made: Don't deceive yourself - you're talking about combat here. No fancy sight is going to do you any good at HD ranges. You won't be able to get a sight picture in the dark, and you won't have time to screw around with it. Try it for yourself. Learn to aim with your body and the barrel. Practice using High Tuck or similar stances - if you're dumb enough to be standing up making a huge target of yourself (has been discussed at length on this forum). Understand that fighting with a shotgun is not the same as shooting a shotgun. Understand that your opponent may very well be shooting back. Shoot from cover or on the floor. Don't use a light - it just tells the other guy where to shoot. The muzzle flash will give away your position, so shoot once and move - roll, sidestep, whatever, just don't be where you were on the last shot.

Sorry to sound preachy, but way too many people think that some fancy sight set up is going to save their ass. Won't happen. You have to be smarter and faster than the other guy.

respect to you gunny because you’re the man but I got to argue your point about the light.....if you have a chambered weapon on someone and they get the drop on you it’s not because a light it’s because you hesitated and or are an idiot
Don’t use a weapon light to navigate
Use a light only in intermittent on for target ID, especially in an HD situation.

Your talking combat....ID might be anyone on the muzzle end is getting shot.....not so in HD. Also in combat out in open ground, yeah naving around with a light lit on your muzzle is stupid at best

When I got my weapon light I had to look right into it so I could understand it, if that was in my face I would be able to throw out some hail marry shots but shooting toward the source with accuracy is probably going to not be so accurate. I guarantee the person shining the 300 lumens in your face is going to have the advantage.

GStam66 said:

Yeah, I know in a HD situation there won't be time to line up the sights/scope perfectly. (tell that to the gf though lol, when I told her I was considering using buckshot she jokingly told me I better not hit anything besides the intended target unless I want to buy her new stuff.)

I'm still getting used to the gun, the ATI forend I have on it now isn't as comfortable as I thought. The stock one is starting to feel better. If I swap em back though I'll have to relocate the light.
I'll try to get better with the current bead sight before trying out a different one. Not gonna do any of the soldering though, whatever I do I don't want it to be permanent.

Tell your gf that in that situation she should expect collateral damage to furniture, walls, tv's, etc. . If you already have an intruder in the house you might have 3 seconds to start throwing lead at 2 am in the middle of whoppie, or you're dead. Advance warning (dog, alarm, etc.) is well worth the expense. Run that that by her.

GunnyGene said:
GStam66 said:

Tell your gf that in that situation she should expect collateral damage to furniture, walls, tv's, etc. . If you already have an intruder in the house you might have 3 seconds to start throwing lead at 2 am in the middle of whoppie, or you're dead. Advance warning (dog, alarm, etc.) is well worth the expense. Run that that by her.

I know, she was just kidding. The alarm system is set up so it basically lets us know where the entry point was and we can judge where the intruder should be. Gives me enough time to get prepped and set up a little ambush, assuming they're dumb enough to keep coming.

oli700 said:
GunnyGene said:
GStam66 said:

respect to you gunny because you’re the man but I got to argue your point about the light.....if you have a chambered weapon on someone and they get the drop on you it’s not because a light it’s because you hesitated and or are an idiot
Don’t use a weapon light to navigate
Use a light only in intermittent on for target ID, especially in an HD situation.

Your talking combat....ID might be anyone on the muzzle end is getting shot.....not so in HD. Also in combat out in open ground, yeah naving around with a light lit on your muzzle is stupid at best

When I got my weapon light I had to look right into it so I could understand it, if that was in my face I would be able to throw out some hail marry shots but shooting toward the source with accuracy is probably going to not be so accurate. I guarantee the person shining the 300 lumens in your face is going to have the advantage.

We all have different takes on this (lighting the target). You make a valid argument, however my experience is to avoid id'ing your position. Accuracy is not that important. The objective is to cause the other guy to seek cover. If you know your house, you'll know where to shoot. In a hd situation, you won't have much cover no matter which end your on. A 12 gage and many other common hd weapons will blow thru interior walls and furniture easily. The objective is to throw as much lead as you can as fast as you can at where you think the other guy is.

Edit: Thinking like the bad guy, if the homeowner shines a light at me I'll just start throwing lead in the that general direction immediately, whether I can see him or not. Might get lucky.

GStam66 said:
(tell that to the gf though lol, when I told her I was considering using buckshot she jokingly told me I better not hit anything besides the intended target unless I want to buy her new stuff.)

Lol... I can already see that irrational conversation in the heat of the moment after the dust settles:

"WHY THE HELL IS MY VASE BROKEN, AND WHAT THE F**K HAPPENED TO AUNTI'S PICTURE FRAMES???? WEREN'T YOU AIMING OR SOMETHING????" (as you're standing by the dead intruders who were about to rob or even kill you and her)

aksavanaman said:
GStam66 said:
(tell that to the gf though lol, when I told her I was considering using buckshot she jokingly told me I better not hit anything besides the intended target unless I want to buy her new stuff.)

Lol... I can already see that irrational conversation in the heat of the moment after the dust settles:

"WHY THE HELL IS MY VASE BROKEN, AND WHAT THE F**K HAPPENED TO AUNTI'S PICTURE FRAMES???? WEREN'T YOU AIMING OR SOMETHING????" (as you're standing by the dead intruders who were about to rob or even kill you and her)

Hahaha, depends what time of the month the incident happens. :lol:

GunnyGene said:
The objective is to throw as much lead as you can as fast as you can at where you think the other guy is.

Ahh... but make sure you know where your kids are!

I would say in this situation there are so many variables none of us can account for. How many of us really "train" in our homes for a HD scenario? I can certainly yield my 590 quite well and will certainly pump 9 shots of 00 buck in a chest size target at 10 yards... all within 3-4 secs. But as both Gunny and Oli have mentioned... it's not that simple, the target won't just stand still for you. All I'm saying is that realistiaclly, not all of us have the opportunity to take a training course or spend hours on the range going through realistic HD scenarios.

If you're new to firearms and shotguns, I think first order of buisness is knowing how to handel the weapon, how it shoots (how it patterens for a shotgun) and be proficient at hitting a target within HD ranges. After you've masterd the basics we can move on to more technical details... can't just hop on a horse and run the Kentucky Derby... gotta learne to ride the thing first without getting thrown off!

aksavanaman said:
GunnyGene said:
The objective is to throw as much lead as you can as fast as you can at where you think the other guy is.

Ahh... but make sure you know where your kids are!

I would say in this situation there are so many variables none of us can account for. How many of us really "train" in our homes for a HD scenario? I can certainly yield my 590 quite well and will certainly pump 9 shots of 00 buck in a chest size target at 10 yards... all within 3-4 secs. But as both Gunny and Oli have mentioned... it's not that simple, the target won't just stand still for you. All I'm saying is that realistiaclly, not all of us have the opportunity to take a training course or spend hours on the range going through realistic HD scenarios.

If you're new to firearms and shotguns, I think first order of buisness is knowing how to handel the weapon, how it shoots (how it patterens for a shotgun) and be proficient at hitting a target within HD ranges. After you've masterd the basics we can move on to more technical details... can't just hop on a horse and run the Kentucky Derby... gotta learne to ride the thing first without getting thrown off!

No argument with that. :)

I just don’t think anyone could get the drop on me in that situation. Either way you don’t have to ID a target, but I want to…….all my weapons ride chambered

What I have :

Familiar surroundings

A chambered weapon, safety off

Pointing in the direction of someone in my house

I flick on the light, affecting my low light vision

I make a quick mental call an if I know this person…….regardless of illumination or not I believe one should do this, either way your pos is given.

What they have:

A chambered weapon most likely hanging by their side not pointed in my direction

Unfamiliar ground not seen in day light

A possible luck shot

I flick on a the light, They are surprised and blinded…..and not just temporary but it takes a good minute to recover because like I said I put it in my own face and I can honestly say as soon as you try to focus on anything for a minute after it just momentarily is flashed….you can’t. I don’t care what kind of training you have you can’t train your eyes to get rid of that giant spot that prevents you from knowing if you even have sights on your weapon let alone use them or not tripping over crap in unfamiliar surroundings .

If they don’t get me between the eyes in 1 to 2 seconds I will guarantee they meet their maker before I do.

Now I can see your method when there is zero concern for target ID…..I definitely don’t need a light to hit, just ID

I’m not trying to drive anyone to cover, I am looking for the most one sided, ruthless ambush I can possibly have and so fast it would make Erwin Rommel feel slow.
In fact I don’t at all believe in fair fighting unless it’s some sort of sanctioned event

oli700 said:
I’m not trying to drive anyone to cover, I am looking for the most one sided, ruthless ambush I can possibly have and so fast it would make Erwin Rommel feel slow.
In fact I don’t at all believe in fair fighting unless it’s some sort of sanctioned event

I like the way this man thinks! :)

Sun Tsu says "if you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"......

Back