• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Receiver Finish Question

Chris_K

.22LR
So.... Before anyone stones me for ever considering doing this to any gun, I'll explain why...

BTW: I am loving everything about this new to me 500... Which, looking at the serial number chart here on this forum, My serial prefix J932 indicates it was manufactured sometime in early 1987. That's so cool to own a gun my age, for the first time.

Anyway, back to my question, after qualifying it with I love the heck outta this new Mossberg.

I do prefer more of a parkerized or hard coat anodized type finish, Gee, wonder why (AR-15)... :D However, my beautiful 1980's Mossberg 500 has a very smooth finish on its aluminum receiver. Almost like extremely high quality anodized paint, or something I've not seen before. However, that smooth finish doesn't go well with any excess CLP or perspiration of the hands. :D

So. Is it a beyond stupid idea to potentially and very carefully sand the receiver down, after of course stripping it down of all parts, and refinish it?

Don't throw stuff, please. :D Thanks!

Are you thinking of doing it yourself?

Me, I'm in favor of making your gun "your" gun. That smooth shiny anodized look sure isn't for everybody but back in '87 that was just we had to expect.

I vote for changing it up! I might look into some place that does CeraKote or parkerizing cuz' they would leave it looking great with less chance of blemishes.

Are you a cop or in security?

Nope, neither. Just wanting to personalize it. My buddy's 870 vintage police model is parkerized and with the wood furniture like mine now has, it's gorgeous and grippy. I don't mind the smooth shiny look, it's the smooth shiny feel for functional reasons. Hard to get a good grip on it if I need to grab it up quickly, and fingerprint magnet. :D

If you are concerned about picking it up and grabbing it quickly, you are over-thinking things. I promise you that parkerizing the receiver will give ZERO advantage over anodizing or Krylon spray paint or even a completely worn off finish.

Because you know why?

Almost nobody grabs a fighting shotgun by the receiver . It is grabbed by the pistol grip stock and the fore end.

Fingerprints on an oiled aluminum receiver are visual, but not a problem.

No, I don't believe I'm overthinking it.

Not for running out in a bad situation, no. I always grab it by the fore end or magazine tube and barrel if I'm readying it or going to shoulder it.

However, it is stored on a waist height corner shelf in the closet, so I have already grabbed it out of there, by the receiver, more than a couple times.

I just generally prefer the parkerized finish, not even concerned much with fingerprints, though you're right visually they are a minor nuisance. Just being new to this specific platform of shotgun, getting used to those nuances. I still like it a lot more than the 870s I ran hard back in the day.

Rattle-can it with some crinkle paint for a grill... ;) I would test the paint on a piece of scrap, let it dry, then see if your preferred solvents "loosen" the paint.

BTW, Welcome Aboard! :)

The more I think about it, the more I may just leave her exactly as she is. I never have owned a gun this old, and it's kinda cool. It's only a year younger than me, does that make me old and historic, too? :D

It's just a neat gun, as is. We don't have any family heirloom guns, so this is the oldest firearm I've owned. I'm also the only gun person in my family, both sides.

Back