• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Receiver-mounted shell holders

VetPsychWars

.22LR
Elite Member
As I am new to shotguns in general and specifically the tactical shotgun, I have to admit I'm a little confused about shell holders you mount on the receiver. Seems to me you have to take your trigger hand (I have to shoot left-handed, trying to not confuse myself!) to reach over and grab a shell, which, ok. If a person has an 8+1 gun, this seems a little extreme for the home defense situation?

If you can give me an idea of what I might (not) be missing, that would be great!

Thanks

Tom

For us right handed guys, trigger hand stays put and with some practice the gun stays shouldered as the support hand loads shells. Worst case scenario the stock is lowered and rested against the forearm and rotated slightly to access and load shells.

For a lefty, something like a stock shell holder could work.

Possibly, but I would have to mount it on the right side of the receiver, because left-handed gun and ejection port is on the left.

It just seems to me that eight rounds for home defense ought to be enough.

Tom

In a perfect scenario you wouldn't require any at all... stuff happens and in a case such as this there is a proverb that could save your life.. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around".

Personally I am a minimalist and don't like anything on my guns that don't absolutely have to be there , so I understand where you are coming from.
But for a discipline such as this , I like to carry as many rounds as comfortably can be kept on a person.
7+1+6 on the side saddle.. I don't care for sidesaddles but on the other hand I neither wear a bathrobe nor do my underwear have pockets lol , so the choice was easy.

heh well I did order a bandolier from China that cost four bucks, including shipping... and i think I would rather have spare cartridges on the buttstock. Thanks for the comment.

Tom

If you prefer ammo on the stock, some of them have Velcro and elastic which can be reversible for either side. I've used the receiver mounted shell holders and the cuffs on the stock, and my current preference is for Triad Tactical stock packs but they're more than $4.

Underwear with pockets . . . that's a great idea.
If they did that there really wouldn't be any reason for men to wear pants.

Only thing we would need is a couple belt loops for our holster belts.

LOL

Back