• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Reciever scope mount screws

ScottyB

.270 WIN
I have a lot of trouble with the scope screws backing out and ruining my sight picture. I've tried putting some LocTite on them and it did nothing.
Does anyone know if it's safe to use the shotgun without them in? I can't see why it wouldn't be, but I don't want to take any chances. Also, does anyone have an alternative to removing them that's worked?

Thanks,
Scott

Won't be an issue running the shotgun with the screws removed. I used a little red Loctite on mine and they're still pretty well stuck...

I used the same thing and they still backed out. I think they're a little long and get hit by the bolt on its way by.

I used the same thing and they still backed out. I think they're a little long and get hit by the bolt on its way by.

Sometimes there are "shorter" screws in the set that are made to be mounted over the bolt. Screws hitting the bolt are NOT a good thing. :eek:

If there are no short screws, you should probably shorten those that interfere with the bolt.

Loctite red should work--make sure the hole is clean of grease and oil. Don't use too much Loctite as it is anaerobic and will not dry (or harden) in the presence of air..

You might also try peening the screws on an anvil or vise body with a small hammer to make them "self-locking".

Back