• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recipes

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
There seems to be a basic universal recipe for cooking fish. Let's see some of your favorite recipes.

My pepere used to just use Worcester sauce and black pepper on the grill. That was yummy.

Here's a good one I use, but I cook it in a cast-iron pan on the grill. (keeps the fish smell outa my hut. LOL)

This is for roughly 4 lbs of fish....
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, add more if you want. I found some ghost pepper powder I like and use that instead.
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup butter
Catfish

Mix up the ingredients, but not the butter, that's for the cooking pan. Coat the fish in the powdered mix, Melt butter in the pan and cook on med/high, until fish just begins to flake easily, 5-10 minutes on each side. You can use a cover if you want to keep it moister. I like it a little flaky dry.

I got that recipe from a buddy in Cali years ago. He was from Owensboro Kentucky though. So it's good. hahahaha

I like to hot smoke trout after soaking them in a brine for 8-10 hours.
Simple brine recipe:
(1/2 gallon) water
(1/2 Cup) Sugar
(1/2 Cup) Brown Sugar
(1/2 Cup) Salt
(2 Tbsp) Garlic Powder
(2 Tbsp) Chili Powder
(3 Tbsp) Lemon Juice
Rinse trout before smoking with hickory for 60-90 minutes at 190 degrees. The skin peels right off and the bones can be easliy removed.

The brine is good for salmon too but it needs smoked for a longer period.

...and that my friend's is my 6000ths post. I can't believe it. Thanks for putting up with me!

Back