• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Recoil between 590a1 and 500

DTL

Hey all, I own a 590a1 18.5 inch barrel and was thinking of picking up a plain 500 model with 18.5 inch barrel. question is: is there a noticeable difference in felt recoil between the 590a1 and 500 due to the 590a1 being heavier? Does the plain 500 model still shoot as nice at the 590a1?

I haven't owned a 500 but I have owned a 590A1 and currently own a 590. I can't tell a difference in recoil, but the 590 is noticeably lighter and handles better due to the lighter weight.

I doubt you will discern any difference between models given the same load.

DTL,
I have 2 500's and a 590 A1. I can't say I notice a difference in recoil. There are ways to manage felt recoil. A proper mount and hold is one as LTB45 suggests. There are aftermarket recoil pads that help as well.
Recoil is only an issue when shooting slugs, buckshot and 3" inch magnums. For bird shot there is no issue.

Thanks for the input guys. Have any of you had to access the magazine spring on your 500? Is it much more difficult to get to than on a 590 ,magazine tube?

^^^true that.

The spring is way easy to get out on a 590. The 500 takes a little more work. In fact, I've never removed the spring from a 500 because it looks to me like the only way is by removing the entire magazine tube. No clean out like a 590/835.

Yes you have to remove the mag tube on a 500. Once you break the loctite seal it is real easy to remove the tube to get at the spring.

I have a 590A1 and bought a LimbSaver recoil pad and makes a huge difference compared to the stock recoil pad on the 590A1.

Back