Recoil trips safety switch

Discussion in 'Mossberg 535 ATS Pump Action' started by hise0001, Jan 3, 2016.

1. hise0001

hise0001 Copper BB

I've had my 535 for 4 years or so now and have always had some kind of issue with the safety. It's always been VERY easy to slide forward and backwards. The the original plastic switch started to turn sideways with the recoil... it was like the screw wasn't screwed down tight; but, it was. Eventually the plastic switch snapped; so, I ordered a metal switch from Brownells. The switch no longer turns sideways and I'm not worried about it breaking; but, is still VERY easy to slide forwards and backwards... so easy that the recoil from target loads can cause the safety to switch on... nice to be safe; but, it's very irritating on follow-up shots with skeet and duck.

Doesn't seem like the detention spring is too short because I got a new spring with the new safety and the easy slide persisted. Its seems like the hole the spring and ball bearing goes into was drilled too deep?

Anybody else having this problem? (My son's 500 that was purchased same day at same store is the original plastic safety and it firmly snaps on and off)

Thanks,

--Hise
  2. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Sponsor Forum Moderator

I tried a search through the site and didn't see anything like you're describing. Most issues are a stuck safety.

Anyone else have any ideas?
  3. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I would try and fit a very small piece of round plastic maybe 1/16" into the hole and see if this brings up the ball bearing and see if it "snaps" in.
  4. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

I personally haven't taken my safety apart, so I'm unsure of the diameter of the hole, but,
    In addition to ol mossys comment.. would a hand held hole punch for paper work? You could try an old credit card for the spacer he's suggesting ....
  5. blacksmith

blacksmith .223

The safety should go forward under recoil, not backerds. If the safety goes to rear after cycling action it is because the bolt is smacking the safety block. In your case it sounds like the issue is isolated to the safety assembly.

The safety button should always have the steel plate under it. This is because some safeties have cutouts that are virtually nonexistent. Most safeties and plates have four holes cutout; these can be oriented in either direction. Some safeties and plates are only cut on one side. In this case both the safety & plate must have the cutouts to the rear. The ball detent must have a place to go.

The spring is about .375" and the hole is about .30". Different length springs do exist.

[​IMG]
    old mossy likes this.
  6. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

,,,,,welcome back,,,,,,ck pm
  7. jmark

jmark Copper BB

I'm having this same problem on a new 535 - fire then gun, and the safety kicks on. Safety switch feels sloppy and cheap. Any good solutions? Aftermarket safety? Wondering how the OP here fared?

TIA,

jmark