• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

red dot for trap

joe74

.22LR
NEW TO TRAP:
red dot for trap shooting.....help or hindrance

Please chime in..no crap just honest answers ..... PLEASE

Tough call but for me I grew up shooting without and making the transition to is very difficult now.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=5247 is a link to the RedRing scope which is one of the premier options.

If a Red dot site would help for Trap, then you would see champions of the sport use them.
I shoot competitive Trap, I even won a few times.
Only one person that I have ever seen was shooting with a Red dot.
He was a kid that wrote a letter to one of the companies that make them. They sent him one to try......Sat on his gun for about a week while he shot a lot of practice rounds, then he took it off.
The Kid is a real good Trap shooter and realized that it offered nothing for the game of Trap.

Save your money if you are planning on using one on your Trap gun.
Now for Turkey hunting, I really like mine!!!

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably get one try the gun both ways. Maybe save the dot for the Turkeys.

"Please chime in..no crap just honest answers ..... PLEASE"

If you tour the forum I believe that you will find a decided lack of "crap" in the member's content and discussions.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners forum. One of the tightest ships in the business. If you have had negative experiences using other forums you can check them as you enter.

I don’t see the pros use them….I don’t know the rules and I know a lot of shotgunners are traditionalists as well but I have shot trap with a reflex sight and it rocked. The sight was not even on the proper mount one would use for trap. I don’t shoot enough clay anymore to judge if it helped my game but either I was having a real good day or it worked real well. I remember thinking at the time I would like to try a properly set up Burris fast fire on the proper height mount. Several people tried it and all were surprised how good it did.

Back