• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Red dot HD/Hunt

Hey All,
I have a question concerning which "red/green" dot device would work for both HD and hunting applications...
I have the 835, recently bought the 18.5 from Mossberg...
I have the 24" rifled barrel which I intend to use for White tail in Northern Wisconsin.
On the way is the Blackhawk recoil absorbing collapsing stock/pistol grip.
I would like to retain the collapsing stock and just swap barrels when it is time to go to deer camp.
That being said, is there a recommendation for an optics device which I can use in both applications…I think this means reeiver mounted but I am too new in this to know better.
Perhaps a low light level enhancing one? Not really necessary, but since I am asking…
Thanks for your time and patience with a newb

Do you want any magnification at all ?

What kind of ranges are your usual hunting grounds, beyond 100 yards?

What kind of optic are you used to at this point in your hunting career? Open sights?

Hi Oli

Thanks for the quick reply..
I hunt in northern wisconsin, till I bought the 835 i used my Winchester model 98 carbine open iron sights. This is brush country and I dont much get a shot off over 40-60 yards..
I would not mind some maginification/ light amplification for my againg eyes but not really that necessary.

The only thing I can add here, is something that will pull double duty probably doesnt need to have magnification. My hunting scenarios are also woods and brush, unless its upland, in which case I'm lookin for 30 to 35 yard shots max anyhow.

A double duty sight that may work would be something like a reflex, something that isnt shrouded and allows you to bring up both eyes open. If it windage and elevation adjustable, you can get on target at 25 yards and it should be good to go for HD ranges as well I'm thinkin.

Also depends what kind of $$$ youre lookin to spend. Optics get pricey, and reflex sights that will hold up to SG recoil are goin to be in the area of $100 just as the cost of admission. Though someone and I forget at the moment who it was, just got something that fits into the Burris FastFire frame and mount and the particular sight was like $70. Burris will be close $170 to $200. Leupold reflex about $350, some of the Aimpoints may be suitable but are even more expensive, and then the Trijicon. Nice pieces, but costly.

For the price, the Burris or something comparable would be my choice for a double duty sight.

Ok cool so you are used to iron sights and it doesn’t sound like you need any magnification. So we can narrow it down to reflex or tube style ….oh and what’s your budget ?

Thanks again for the quick replies....

budget... i think around 150 to 200 usd...

if someone has something they no longer have use for...perhaps used would be alright...

So there is all the NCStar stuff. The two reflex models that everyone puts their name on are NCStars. These are mediocre at best. Some claim pure crap and other say they work fine. My kid had one on a paintball gun. It didn’t last long due to being too delicate. Purely for range you might get lucky but hunting will probably end its life. If you get one stay away from the multi retical model…inaccurate with reticle changes. Also the small windage and elevation screws give out. 30 to 60 bucks

Burris Fastfire around $200. 4 moa red dot manual on off switch. Micro size. Very good quality.

Docter, 200-300, very good quality

For 150, including mount, I put this on mine. It is a Primary Arms micro reflex green dot. It is a clone of the Burris Fastfire with two differences. One being the green dot and the other is the on/off switch. It fits in all Fastfire bases. No on/off switch, the cap covers the photo sensor putting it in a low power mode. The dot is always adjusting to light conditions. These are tough. I have seen them mounted on semi auto handgun slides no problems. It is in a Burris picatinny protector base.
IMG_0035-1-1.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

Follow up shots are fast. As fast as a single bead and faster than iron sights. This is a 5 moa dot size. For your yardage I wouldnt go much smaller than 4 moa. Past 100 yards moa size makes a bigger difference

Ahh, Thanks, Oli! I couldnt remember "Primary Arms" for the life of me!

oli700 said:
...I wouldnt go much smaller than 4 moa. Past 100 yards moa size makes a bigger difference

I actually like smaller at longer longer range. My sight is a 3 MOA, and at 100 yards even that covers a "kill zone" on game, such as the shoulder area, or the area I wanna hit containing the heart and lungs.

Rossignol said:
I actually like smaller at longer longer range. My sight is a 3 MOA, and at 100 yards even that covers a "kill zone" on game, such as the shoulder area, or the area I wanna hit containing the heart and lungs.

thats what I'm geeitng at. 5 moa covers a an 8" gong at 100 yards . I like 2 moa for anything past 100 yards.But that is with a rifle. The PA is my first optic on a SG....I can hit 8" gong pretty consistant at 100 and a 12 " some of the time at 200. Thing is I'm holding so high I can see the target fine LOL

Hey All,
thanks for chiming in.. i have looked at the PA green dot. I like the size of it...can anyone else comment abot experience with it? Where is the power switch...does it hold up well. I think someone posted over 400 rounds...
Thanks again
F

I have shot one on a glock 40 cal thats been on it for a while never a problem. I have 500+ 12 ga through mine, never fired a low recoil round in my life. As I said above no on/off switch.

Oli,
I re-read and think I understand now...by placing the cover on the unit it goes into low power mode...
how long will a battery last? Also another question that comes to mind is, if the ambient light is very low, will it then go into this low poer mode as well?
Thanks

The claim is 1000 hours of battery life. They come with real cheap batteries. In a pitch black room it gets real dim. Perfect really and it doesn’t turn off. Marshall at PA said they kept one under a lamp for 1000 hours till the battery died. I replaced my battery with a quality one right when I got it just because. There have been reports of batteries not fitting right.PA has outstanding customer service and communicate promptly.

I made a little pouch for extra batteries just in case. Keep the wrench on board too
IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

Back