• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Redneck trigger pin

Zach H.

.22LR
I was recently given a Mossberg 500A with the understanding that I had to fix it up as it's in rough condition. I was going to tear it down but somewhere along the line, somebody put in a roll pin in place of the trigger pin. Is it safe to just punch out? I hit it pretty good but it didn't budge so I figured I'd check before doing any damage.

Attachments

• 20211111_005423.jpg
    20211111_005423.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 16
Obviously, there's no clear way to answer that since whoever did that did it wrong. But, the roll pin SHOULD come out without damaging anything, unless your punch walks off and digs into the aluminum reciever or no damage was done to the trigger group when whoever drove it in place to start with.

I'm assuming that the roll pin is the same (correct) size as the old push pin.

And I would also recommend spending $4 on ebay and getting the correct pin when you finish the repairs on it.

Congratulations on the nice gift. Wish people would give me guns.

And I would also recommend spending $4 on ebay and getting the correct pin when you finish the repairs on it.

Congratulations on the nice gift. Wish people would give me guns.

The correct pin should be here today. I already have a synthetic buttstock to go on it as I'm not the biggest fan of a pistol grip on a 12ga. After getting everything right with it, I'm going to put it through the paces. If nothing moves with a box of 00 buck then I think I'm good.

Also important to brace the opposite side of the receive so the pressure is spread across a larger surface area. If the pin is really tight simply driving it without supporting the receiver might bulge the receiver itself. Putting a little lube on the inside might help.

Finally, I'd inspect the receiver and components once it out incase the roll pin was the wrong size and did damage.

Good luck!

Regards

I would recommend a roll pin punch to remove it. Pic is a sample punch to show how it has a "nub" to help center it on the spring-style roll pins. They sell them in sets and they come in handy for gunsmithing...

rollpinpunch.jpg

Screenshot_20211118-173229_Chrome.jpg []
I would recommend a roll pin punch to remove it.View attachment 26218

I have a set but was putting a good deal of strain into the receiver while hitting it. I was hoping, at most, that it would just tap out but that is not the case.

I'm also trying to get it apart so I can modify the shell retention arm or shell interrupter as it's not being moved enough by the shell elevator to let a shell out of the magazine tube.

Do you have any kroil oil? A few drops on each side of the receiver may help some.

If that doesn't work, do you have a deep freezer you could put it in for a while? Cold tends to shrink things. If you get the receiver and the roll pin freezing cold, they may form a very small gap between each other.

I just happen to have some on the work bench. I'll let it sit over night & give it a literal whack tomorrow.

Zach, as a last resort if it won't bulge after soaking or freezing, I'd "very carefully" drill the roll pin from both sides to weaken it's bite on the receiver. If it still won't drive out then I'd drill it again from both sides until you can basically drive the residual metal inside the receiver frame and extract the remaining parts from the inside. Given the tightness I suspect you're going to be forced to replace internal parts that have been damaged.

But that should fix the gun and return it to operational status. Biggest issue is to limit any damage to the receiver frame. Internal parts can be replaced.

Good luck and keep us informed on progress.

Regards

I have a set but was putting a good deal of strain into the receiver while hitting it. I was hoping, at most, that it would just tap out but that is not the case.

A plastic pin block comes in handy for things like this. Alternately you can take a block of wood and drill a hole where the pin would be driven through. Maybe cover the wood with blue painter's tape so you don't mar the finish of the receiver.

Adding to what Ernst said, with a cobalt bit drill the roll pin hole larger to weaken it. This may also create heat which could also help loosen it. If the one bit doesn't do it go up in size but don't go up to pin size because you risk making the hole larger and you don't want that... And IF the drill bit "grabs" the roll pin and starts spinning it, stop immediately as you don't want to bore the hole out at all because this will make the OEM pin sloppy. And whatever you do, don't break the drill bit in the roll pin! :eek:

The roll pin came out with a bit of persuasion as the punch set I have didn't quite knock it all the way out. I don't think anything is permanently damaged but the correct pin will be here today & I hope it stays in place or I'll have to go with old mossy's suggestion.

Congrats. I'd pay particular to the wear on the internal trigger group parts that reside on this pin. Doubt you'll have any issues with the receiver pin holes.

Keep us informed and good luck.

Regards

The new trigger pin works like a charm. I've had it in & out several times today trying to get it to cycle reliably

Last edited:
Back