• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Reliable Dot sight that allows view of the bead...

Irish Gauge

Copper BB
Finally got around to purchasing a Mossberg 500 pistol grip and was wondering if y'all have any suggestions for a heavy-duty dot sight that allows simultaneous view of the front bead through the sight? I plan on modifying both at the same time (adding sight and illuminated bead) but don't want to make the mistake of buying a dot sight that can't handle the recoil and that doesn't offer view of the bead. I saw a previous post on the forum that accomplished this sight pattern using a Tasco dot sight, but I haven't used a Tasco since I owned an air rifle as a kid and don't rightfully know if they'll hold up on a shotgun. Thanks in advance!!

FIRST, let me say "Welcome to the Forum"! I'm glad you joined the group.

Pistol grip and illuminated bead and a dot sight? You are setting before yourself some real challenges!

Well, the thing I might first consider is that in order to "see" the front bead thru a holo sight I would have to move the pistol-gripped shotgun much closer to my face.

Consider the consequences of such a decision.......... Recoil can be a real bitch.

If you want tough AND heavy-duty and a "dot" it would be Aimpoint PRO but the sight tube might not allow free view of your bead sight since it would be at least an inch higher than your barrel bead. An EoTech XPS would give you a larger window to look thru and would be tough as nails but I still cannot imagine being to co-witness a bead sight thru an optic. If I wanted to see my bead sight thru my dot/holo optics I would shoot incredibly higher than I intended

Please keep this thread going as you develop a good plan because I would really like to see what you come up with.

Welcome to MO!

I'm squarely in the same camp as NiteSite. I don't know of a combination red dot/front bead that will work together. It may be possible to "see" the front bead (and its a big maybe) but not use it like a cowitness. I'm especially stumped tryin to picture it with a pistol grip.

I think a good parallax free holo sight could work with a pistol grip, imagine bringin the sight plane up to eye level but not so close to your face you get tattooed. I think id want to sight it in with a stock on it though, maybe sittin at a bench with it shouldered but lettin the bore ride on a backpack.

Just thinkin outloud here and interested in some other's thoughts as well.

I'll echo what has been said so far.

A mounting apparatus alone for any red dot sight would obstruct the view to the bead as intended for correct and safe use. If I remember the earlier post you're referencing, the bead was barely visible through the groove in the picatinny rail mount and even still the level sight plane was obstructed. I just don't see a way to pull this off in a way that you would still be able to use the bead effectively...

Thanks for the warm welcomes and the advice! I already intended to put a collapsible shoulder stock on it so I don't look like my girlfriend beat me up, but it looks like I've got my work cut out for me with the rest of the project. I'll keep pics posted up as I go and see if I can make this work. Thanks again everyone! Happy shooting!!

Back