• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

reloading and other arcane arts

andrew678122

.270 WIN
I have recently decided to reload my own ammo, what could be simpler? You just have to follow the recipe and viola, sub-inch groups at 100 yards... right...

I have a Mossberg 464 .30-30 and have recently gotten in to reloading. Regarding reloading data, this is what I have gleaned from the manuals I have (Speer's, Lee's, Lyman's .30 cal reload data, Hodgdon's Basic Reloading Manual, and the .30-30 Loadbook), as well as Hodgdon's, Sierra's, Speer's, etc websites, for the .30-30 Winchester:
.30-30 150gr / IMR4895........starting......maximum
Lyman.....................................26.5..............30
Speer Hot-Cor 2011.................27.................31
Sierra Pro Hunter 2000............28.9..............31.7
Barnes XFN..............................29.................33
Hodgdon Basic Reloading M............................33.5
Hodgdon website......................31.5..............33.5
Lee..........................................31.5..............33.5

If you look you will see that Speer's Maximum load is less than Lee's or Hodgdon's starting load ?? WTF ??? Someone is wrong, a PSI or CUP for Speer has to be the same as a PSI or CUP for Hodgdon.

Don't use these figures, go look them up yourself. I take no responsibility for these figures or the accuracy of them, they were simply copied from the pertinent manuals and are included here to highlite the inconsistencies in reload data.

Anyway... I went to the range earlier this week and shot 40 rounds of reloads. All were with the Speer 2011 150gr bullet. I loaded 20 of them with H4895 and 20 with IMR4895, 27.0 grains of powder in both cases, Speer's and Lyman's starting load. They were easy to shoot, little recoil, and seemed to do pretty good, with no appreciable difference between the two powders. Groupings were about 1-1/4" to 1-5/8" at an accurately measured 50 yards. I'm pleased with the performance, and it'll save on powder and wear-and-tear (both on the equipment and me). I did have the occasional flyer that I discarded. I am certain that in the hands of a good shooter the grouping would be under an inch at 50 yards.

For now I'm just going to do my reloading using Speer's starting load, and probably with IMR4895 since it is the more useful powder.

Also: I would like to know if anyone else comes up with any different .30-30 reloading data, thanks!

Doesn't look like this guy is on here anymore, but this post was still rather interesting I thought. Pulling up the Hodgdon website, and punching in for a 150 gr bullet it spits out numbers for the Sierra 150 gr FN.
It now lists max load as 34 gr of H4895, whereas back in 2012 apparently they only recommended 33.5.

Check the Hodgdon site for Leverevolution (LVR) I've load 35 rem with their data and it works great.

Also you may find a heavier bullet shoot a better group depending on the twist rate.

Trail Boss if u our looking for a really fun load to shoot.

Last edited:
So many powders, so little money, LOL. I keep waffling between buying some Trail Boss or some H4895. LVR looks great too, but only for high end loads? Not really sure on that one. I missed getting out to the range to experiment this last weekend. I promised the wife I'd get to work re-siding our shop/storage building, so no telling when I'll get a chance to shoot again now. :(

Last edited:
Back