• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Reloading for MVP Patrol

Chris M.

Copper BB
I know that the Patrol is not intended for PRS with a 16" barrel and all but I'm wondering if anyone has any favourite loads they have found to work well in .308?

I started reloading at the beginning of the pandemic for something to do in my extra free time so I don't have a personal database of loads built up. I started with 9mm but bought a MVP Patrol last year in February and then our range closed due to public health orders so I wasn't able to even shoot it until August.

That said the first rounds I bought were inexpensive 150g soft points and they shot really quite well. I then tried some 168g Open Tip Match rounds from PMC and they were not good. I then built some handloads at 168g powered by BLC2 and they were horrible, like a 5" group at 100 yards while the soft points were 1.25" at 100 yards. Then I bought some 147g soft points and they were again very good, just over an inch at 100 yards. I had assumed (from reading books) that the rifling would favour heavier bullets but perhaps out of such a short barrel this is not true.

So do think that I should continue working with lighter bullets and/or do you have any loads that have worked really well? I'm a numbers nerd so for me, finding the best handload while trying all sorts of variables is just as fun as actually shooting.

And hello from Alberta Canada!

Hello from North Alabama.

My 18" M1A Scout Squad shoots the best with Nosler Ballistic Silvertip 150-gr p/n30150 and Varget.

I get 0.8" groups with iron sights from a rest from a gun that is not supposed to be a precision rifle. Best I ever got at 100 was 1.5" using that load.

Last edited:
Like you, I've found the lighter bullets work best in my MVP Scout, and I've tried bullets from 125 gr up to 230 gr. The heaviest bullets were reloaded and were very disappointing, tipping and keyholing through the target. I don't load max. loads so maybe that makes a difference?

I used cheaper jacketed and Berry's plated bullets in the past but had to switch over to cast lead since the big ammo shortage, as there just weren't any bullets to be found. Luckily I stocked up on primers just before the crisis hit.

I've usually used IMR 3031 powder with the jacketed bullets, but right now my "fun" load is a cast Lee 150 gr flat point over 13 gr of 2400. This is for mostly shooting it a 50 yards and occasionally at 100 yards. Very light recoil and much more quiet for the neighbors, but still very fun to shoot.

There's someone nearby that is casting .308 in lighter weights and the price is very reasonable. I've already bought 9mm from him so I'm going to give that a try. I have to stick with the powders I have as there is no a lot out there right now but at least I do have large quantities in the few that I have.

Appreciate the help!

There's someone nearby that is casting .308 in lighter weights and the price is very reasonable. I've already bought 9mm from him so I'm going to give that a try. I have to stick with the powders I have as there is no a lot out there right now but at least I do have large quantities in the few that I have.

Appreciate the help!

Let us know how they shoot with your reloads.

3031 is a good rifle powder for .308 Winnie. Maybe one day you can find some 4064 or some 4895. But 3031 is always excellent, particularly from bolt guns.

Back