• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Reloading from side saddle vs butstock cuff

DTL

I was wondering if anyone here prefers reloading from a butstock cuff vs side saddle? If so can you share why and what your technique is like? I was wondering if it would give the shotgun better balance since less weight would be distributed forward.

I run a sidesaddle with slugs on the left side of the receiver, and a buttstock elastic loop setup on the right of the stock for my less lethal rounds (since they weigh nearly nothing). The noticeable weight is on the left side of the receiver.

Receiver location.... any extra ammo is much quicker coming from the receiver than buttstock mounting. Always. Because elastic buttcuffs are not precise compared to hard mounts, and hard mounts need a receiver. Yep, the right side of the buttstock can be very quick to the open ejection port, but isn't predicable if you are talking about elastic loops.

Weight? I don't care.

I run a 590 8+1 that weighs a lot. That is the one I mentioned with extra slugs on the sidesaddle. Its heavy. I don't care.

I tote a wood stocked M1A at work that weights a huge amount. It is a heavy bitch but I like it for its effectiveness.

I run a HBAR M4 with an Aimpoint CompM4s that weighs a lot more than your ordinary AR. Again... I don't care.

I already wear about 25 pounds of extra shit on my body.

An extra ten or twelve is unnoticeable in the moment.

Last edited:
Belt mount is fine for those who can predict the course of fire, and when it will happen at the PACT timer beep.

I have mine on the stock in elastic loops. Mine aren't duty firearms. At worst, I'm picking up a gun and headed out the door because of predator or varmint. I load one in to the open action and usually two more in to the magazine by the time I hit the back door.

Brass up or down makes a difference in how a shotgun is loaded too. On the stock, brass down would be better, but elastic gets worn out over time and becomes less reliable, or it can. I haven't yet noticed mine becoming loose.

My mossy has a mounted shell carrier. Though the majority of my shotguns do not.

And the mossy also has a sling that holds 20 more. I imagine that it's probably close to 15 pounds. But it's not one that I carry constantly, just one that I can grab in a hurry if needed. To put it mildly, there is a large enough variety of shells in the sling, that there is something there for anything ;)

My hunting guns, have stock mounted shell carriers. Though I don't usually keep hunting shells in them. I keep slug/buck in them for emergency bear/coyote pack defensive loads on the occasion I need to grab them when I'm in the woods. I most usually hunt with a vest and that's where I keep my shells that I'm hunting with. Or in my front pants pocket, but is not the same difference as having a bank full of robbers determined not to be caught.

Receiver mount is closer/faster to the mag tube or ejection port. And typically more solidly placed. And what I would prefer for a duty gun.

Stock carriers are often elastic and can move around when you're pulling on the shells to get them out. Though I do have some neoprene stock carriers that can be adjusted that don't move around and are pretty solid, and at the risk of sounding like a wuss, also helps pad the cheek some from the occasional shot at a fast mover where I don't really have the time to shoulder the gun right. I will admit that I've had my jaw popped more than once because I was trying to get a shot off fast enough and not really paying attention to what I was doing. The neoprene stock pads are welcomed for that.

This is what I'm using. Everything either in or on the stock pack will work with the choke I have in the gun at the moment. But for a fixed choke gun it would be simpler. This isn't the fastest set up and I'd say the biggest draw back is the way the gun has to be loaded with the shells in it the way they are. I either have to load with my right hand, which is fewer movements but takes my firing hand off the trigger, or I load left handed, keeping my right hand on the trigger but uses more movement. Brass down in the loops makes more sense whether it's a receiver mounted holder or a stock pack/cuff like this one.

351310D3-D0C1-4130-A792-25B4229AFDA4.JPG

Last edited:
Rossignol, I have one like that on my Fal, but it's set up for rifle cartridges rather than shot.

I keep some spare shells on the outside, and a rangefinder in the pocket.

Yeah, the Fal is my dedicated long(er) range rifle.

May not exactly be a precision rifle by some standards, but it's plenty accurate enough to take out evil snuff cans and a lot more accurate than a lot of other FAL's I have seen

From the 3-gun competition standpoint, I started out w/ buttstock sleeve, then went to sidesaddle because some good shooters really could load faster that way. But I never practiced enuff to get real good at either. Then I went to the Knoxx 10-round drum and 6-round box magazine and that was better. Now I do not shoot 3-gun any more and I'm going to sell my M500 with the Knoxx mag setup. I really don't know which is "best" because I was not that good of a tactical shotgun shooter.

images

Knoxx Sidewinder 10-round drum

Back