• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Remember...

Amen. Let's also be thankful for the fact that the numbers lost in war has dropped to a percentage point of what it was not a hundred years ago.

Remembering SGT Michael Dirk Mcmahon. Died December 23, 2013 of complications from wounds sustained in combat in 2010 in Ghazni Province, Afghanistan. Rakkasan brother.

I don't want to sound like an old scrooge, and I'm not aiming this at anyone on this forum.

Generally speaking, I have some difficulty accepting; "Happy Memorial Day" comments that are made to me, either in person or via some website. I don't see anything "happy" about it. VE day and others, yes. But this "holiday", I don't see as a day for celebration, and I wonder what is going thru people's heads, or if they even realize what they are saying and how inappropriate it sounds. :(

Your not sounding like an old scrooge at all Gunny. I too can not see or use the word celebrate connected to today. I think there are a lot of people that see it as "the start of summer" and thanks to the good ole news media celebrate with the usual sales and $hit.

With that said,,, Remember Those Fallen.

@GunnyGene , I feel the same way.

Was at a live broadcast concert last night and at the end the radio host wished everyone a "happy" Memorial Day. It was a young crowd and no one batted an eyelash. Had an opportunity to discuss the matter with said radio host and while she apologized for the impropriety I don't think it really sunk in. It reminded me of a quote from a good man...

That sunset isn't far off and I consider it my duty as an American to "educate" those who mistake Memorial Day for a celebration. It is far from that. It is a day of mourning, a day for every American to reflect on the freedoms that were secured for us by the blood of our fallen soldiers. Those brave souls that fought and died so that future generations may not have to. Their sacrifice is the reason we are afforded the kind of peace that allows our youth to forget about war.

Today is a reminder, a day for all to stand and remember, and to be thankful for all who have fought and died for us...

@GunnyGene , I feel the same way.

Was at a live broadcast concert last night and at the end the radio host wished everyone a "happy" Memorial Day. It was a young crowd and no one batted an eyelash. Had an opportunity to discuss the matter with said radio host and while she apologized for the impropriety I don't think it really sunk in. It reminded me of a quote from a good man...

That sunset isn't far off and I consider it my duty as an American to "educate" those who mistake Memorial Day for a celebration. It is far from that. It is a day of mourning, a day for every American to reflect on the freedoms that were secured for us by the blood of our fallen soldiers. Those brave souls that fought and died so that future generations may not have to. Their sacrifice is the reason we are afforded the kind of peace that allows our youth to forget about war.

Today is a reminder, a day for all to stand and remember, and to be thankful for all who have fought and died for us...

War will not allow itself to be ignored. Whenever a society thinks they have succeeded in conquering war, it delivers a strong reminder of it's presence.

Many forget that Memorial Day is about more then getting the boat in the water and throwing back some cold ones.

Our local radio station KISS FM (106.1) morning show host made the statement "Today is the day we give thanks to the service people service to protect us, and o the police officer and firefighters for doing their jobs". I called the station and spoke to someone who sounded younger than my 16 year old and explained Memorial Day is the day we remember out fallen heroes who lost their lives serving this country (willingly and sometimes unwillingly).... Not the day to give thanks to the living and certainly not LEO's, Firemen, or EMS. The response was the question (Did you serve... No I did not) followed by what seemed to be a respectful apology.

Our local radio station KISS FM (106.1) morning show host made the statement "Today is the day we give thanks to the service people service to protect us, and o the police officer and firefighters for doing their jobs". I called the station and spoke to someone who sounded younger than my 16 year old and explained Memorial Day is the day we remember out fallen heroes who lost their lives serving this country (willingly and sometimes unwillingly).... Not the day to give thanks to the living and certainly not LEO's, Firemen, or EMS. The response was the question (Did you serve... No I did not) followed by what seemed to be a respectful apology.

PC creep. Kinda like mission creep. Political correctness demands that everyone gets a trophy and nobody gets left out no matter what. His comment also demonstrates a significant lack of historical knowledge, and I doubt that he gives shit regardless of his apology.

I had talk with my grandfather once about this here is what he had to say.

Sometimes for some people the best way to thank those who have lost there life in war is to celebrate life it self and the freedoms they were all so willing to fight for

Now they may be just how he manages to deal with the happy It's "Remembrance Day " here. Comments perspective I guess

And as far as the new generation I think I'll let Einstein speak for me.
mumu8a7e.jpg

Hope this post does not offend anyone or start an argument that was not my intent those words just always made sense to me

Last edited:
Back