• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Forends

Re: Aimpro?

Black aces tactical make a nice quad rail for the 930. We have them available in our online store and on sale all month.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Re: Aimpro?

cdarmssupply said:
Black aces tactical make a nice quad rail for the 930. We have them available in our online store and on sale all month.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Sounds good. Do you accept money orders?

I have the ETA and AimPro rails. My experience has been that the AimPro is CONSIDERABLY more slim than the ETA unit. Also, my ETA came with what I consider to be a highly flawed finish (near-glossy, with finished-over scratches), that their customer service blamed on switching to glass bead instead of sandblasting. Anything you get from them in the short term will have this issue. Maybe it won't bother some people, but the resultant finish looks nothing like what the 930 comes with from the factory.

The AimPro tri-rail goes on just like the factory unit, with the magazine cap holding it firmly in place with no play, due I think to the top of the part indexing precisely on the receiver. The ETA unit, instead of bearing/ indexing from the sides of the receiver, uses a TINY set screw that pushes on the bottom of the receiver. I had to turn that screw in so far on my unit that it was only being held into the Bobcat by 2-3 thread turns at most.

So, there is my review. AimPro. Better finish, better fit, and considerably slimmer than ETA's Bobcat.

I have a Rhino and Bobcat and really like it. My AFG and thumb rest really balance it out nicely. What I mean is that I can comfortably hold it with one hand with where I mounted my grips.

There are pictures elsewhere on these forums.

Sent from my Apple Newton in 1993 with 640k of RAM

You don't get a full-length top rail with the AimPro, but the robustness was enough for the scales to tip in their favor (for me). USMC...is there some kind of anomaly with mine, or did the set screw in your Bobcat almost run out of threads too?

I didn't have a 5/64" Allen key when I first put it together, and I haven't had a chance to go back and tighten it down now that I do.....

You are correct sir, it isn't really quite long enough for comfort.

I've got half a mind to call them up and tell them that......

They seemed pretty open to listening to their customers.

Sent from my California fondleslab

They weren't too open to my assessment of the finish on mine, and offered nothing to correct it, other than a return address.

As is, I am fairly sure that screw will snap under recoil, and probably take the forend out with it. With your setup, the Rhino top rail offers some additional stability, so maybe you won't experience that.

Perhaps some videos of the thing falling apart on Youtube after being shot, then reassembled, then apart, then reassembled.....you get the idea....

Part of what I do for a living is let my vendor know where there is an opportunity for improvement, and how that improvement is of value (and revenue) to them.

Typically it doesn't need to go negative......

Sent from my California fondleslab

Yeah. I probably wouldn't need to go that far. They didn't offer to replace it, but agreed to take it back pretty painlessly.

u8u6yjes.jpg

2nd from the left, 930 SPX with Black Aces Tactical quad rail and Aimpro tri-rail forend....

HOLEE CRAP Orlando! That is a pretty impressive collection. Looks badass! Is that really a 930 under there??? :p

How is the weight fully-loaded like that? Can you still maneuver it easily? I like that HFD2 standoff breacher - it looks pretty menacing.

HOLEE CRAP Orlando! That is a pretty impressive collection. Looks badass! Is that really a 930 under there??? :p

How is the weight fully-loaded like that? Can you still maneuver it easily? I like that HFD2 standoff breacher - it looks pretty menacing.
Indeed it is a 930. Bought it stock and then tweaked it a bit. From left to right is a Mossberg 715T, Mossberg 930 SPX, Winchester 1300 Defender, and Franchi SPAS 12L.

The 930 SPX is a tad bit over 10lbs, some say its a bit heavy but if its heavy for them then they need to stay away from 12ga shotguns. I am not mountain climbing or desert trekking with this thing so weight isn't an issue. It is an awesome weapon... I have fed birdshot, buckshot, slug, and beanbag rounds through it without a problem.

The new Aimpro Tri-Rail

I received the new rail for the 930 SPX from Mike Shain at Aimpro today. Here are some pics.

railpkg.jpg

The rail arrived in a sealed plastic sleeve, wrapped in shipping foam in a heavy cardboard box.

railandcovers.jpg

The package includes the rail assembly and 12 soft rail ladder covers.

railbottom.jpg

Bottom view of the rail assembly. End closest to camera is the receiver end.

railcollar.jpg

Muzzle end view of the rail. This view shows the collar that fits the rail to the barrel lug/piston collar.

railcollarconnectors.jpg

Side view of muzzle end of the rail assembly. Screws secure the collar inside the rail body.

railendview.jpg

Looking inside the rail body, from the receiver end towards the muzzle end.

recvrendrail.jpg

Receiver end of the rail body.

railinstallation.jpg

930 prepared for installation of the rail assembly.

railextensionthreads.jpg

Rail installed on the 930 prior to the mounting of the extension nut.

railtlrlowrtoblq.jpg

Extension and TLR installed.

railtlrfrontoblq.jpg

Close-in view of rail with TLR.

railtlrmuzztop.jpg

Top view.

railtlrright.jpg

Right side.

railleft.jpg

Left side.

spxrailright.jpg
What;s the brand/name on the light. Looks like a great gun!

MagPul Picatinny rail mod on 930SPX

Ok this is a step by step...

Step 1:
Clear Shotgun make sure its empty!!!

Step 2:
Unscrew the magazine extension. Make sure you dont pop the spring out because its going to shoot out.

Step 3:
Take the forend out ...

Forend by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 4:
Locate where you generally want the Picatinny rail.

Project StopLite by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 5:
Give the Picatinny rail a nice flat surface to sit on. Take the forend and get your self a dremel and set it @ the lowest speed (mine was set @ 5000rpms) and took a circular sander. And ran a strip down to match the lenght of the picatinny rail. And double check after every pass. Make sure you dont grind down too far. Nice and Slow... and check after the flatness by placing the picatinny on the forend.

Project StopLite by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 6:
When you finally have a nice flat surface for the picatinny rail. Place it on the top of the forend and mark the holes with a marker...

Project stoplite prt 4 by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 6:
Started with a 1/8drill and check bolt clearance. And the thread the bolt to check clearance. Mine required I moved up to a 9/64" drill bit. It was still really tight and I slowly worked the bolt in the hole. So it was tight but I thread it in to make my own thread for the bolt.

Drilled by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 7:
I thread the bolt all the way in and check clearance. Unscrew the bolt half way out and hold the flat nut while re-screwing the bolt back in...

From the inside by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Step 8:
Tighten everything down and your done ... end product should look like this...

Magpul installed by rippspeed1, on Flickr

Lurked around long enough. Finally joining this forum starting with a big thank you to RippSpeed for sharing this mod. I am not the most handy DIYer but I will try this mod this weekend and post some pics. If I screw it up, then I'll order one of the rails for the the AFG2.

I got my 930 spx a few weeks ago and have installed the MT 6 shell saddlebag. The Urbino stock is on its way so I should be able to put that on this weekend as well.

Thanks again RippSpeed and everyone for all your helpful thoughts and pics.

Much appreciated old mossy. I've never owned a shotgun before so I've been checking out a lot of videos and instructions on handling a tactical shotgun. I've already disassembled and cleaned it and had a little bit of a problem with putting the spring back on. I still have lots to learn.

Back