• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Mag Tube Assemblies and Extensions

Re: Which Nordic mag extension for SPX?

Nice!

Lookin forward to an update once it's installed and you've put it to some use...

Re: Which Nordic mag extension for SPX?

Lazy Eyed Sniper is wildly helpful on this forum. +1

I prefer the 6+1 configuration. I like the extension being set back a bit from the end of the barrel. It protects it. If it was strictly a game gun I'd probably go with a JM Pro or setup the 930 like that.

Wolff VS Nordic Components Magazine Spring!

I did a head to head comparison in my 930 SPX and determined that the NC spring is slightly stronger than the Wolff spring. I cut both to 32" and was still able to load 7 rounds of Fiocchi 2 3/4" 00 buckshot (remember that's 2 1/4" unfired). HOWEVER, there was a small amount of wiggle room after inserting the 7th round with the Wolff spring. There was absolutely none with the Nordic Components spring cut to the same length with the same shells AND it was also harder to cut when I was trimming it to the desired length. I'm shocked that I was able to load 7 rounds with a 32" spring. I've been using 24" and 25" springs in my shotguns for over a year without any actual issues, they just started to feel weak recently. I'm putting together a video documenting the experiment that I will upload to youtube later tonight and I'll share the link once it's up.

Here are some numbers I found interesting ... A Mossberg 930 SPX has 18 3/4" of total space inside the magazine. When loaded with 7 rounds of 2 3/4" Fiocchi buckshot (2 1/4" actual length before firing), the magazine spring has 3" to compress. The Nordic Components follower is 1 3/16" long and in no way should affect your weapon's magazine capacity. If it somehow does, I have no clue what you're doing. I'm really surprised that both the Wolff and Nordic Components springs were able to compress from 32" to 3" inside of the magazine. I cut them that long with the idea that I would start much longer than would allow the full capacity and gradually trim shorter.

Re: Wolff VS Nordic Components Magazine Spring!

Thanks for the video review.

Crooked Magazine Extension .. What Now?

I'm considering a few different options to replace my magazine extension. I should mention that it has not affected the reliability of the weapon in the 2 years I've had it but it just bothers me to look at it. I've looked at Nordic Components, S&J, getting another Choate extension and hoping that it's soldered on straight OR contacting Mossberg and seeing if maybe they would replace it. I doubt that Mossberg would be any help because I haven't heard many good things about their support. I like Nordic Components the best because I could remove the cap and not have to take the whole extension off. Anyone else have this issue with their 930? Thoughts?

Re: Crooked Magazine Extension .. What Now?

Nevermind the NC extension. Looking at three different websites to try and complete the old style tube with XL cap and NOT the new MXT version and still couldn't get all the parts I need. I won't buy a complete kit because it comes an inch short of the muzzle AND I'd lose a round in my magazine. I won't tolerate either of those things. I guess I'll try contacting Mossberg.

930 SPX: short magazine cap?

I've got a sporting barrel for my 930 SPX, and when I take it out for shooting clays I'd like to run it without the magazine extension. I bought a spring and end cap from a standard 930 and...the cap doesn't fit. Too small.

I'm surprised, but I guess the mag tube on the SPX may be larger? Or did I just order the wrong part? Anyone know if a standard magazine end cap is available for the 930 SPX, or am I just doing something really dumb here?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Crooked Magazine Extension .. What Now?

How did the extension get "crooked" in the first place? They are assembled on a mandrel, so can't figure out how it could leave the factory as you describe. If it was defective, Mossberg will replace it, or if you have to pay for it, how much could it be? 20?
I did the Nordic spring and follower. Big improvement.
Keep us informed on the solution.

Re: GG&G 930 Magazine Extension

I like the design of the extension. I quite like that the end cap is removable like Nordic Components and the nut looks like it will provide a much better grip than the Choate extension. It is only 6 1/2" long so it will be about 1/4" short of the muzzle.

My primary concern is the shape of the nut. I use a light mount with a circular ring cut into it and the two may not work together. GG&G makes a similar mount I could use though.

http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-930-sling ... mount.html

Re: 930 SPX: short magazine cap?

Welp, to answer my own question it looks like Mossberg sent me the wrong part. I asked for a 930 end cap and I think they sent me a 590 one the first go.

For the record, the correct short end cap part number is 16789.

New Nordic Comp MXT Falling Short

Ok, so I may be just complaining more than anything, but I thought maybe I could help clear up some confusion about the Nordic Components magazine extension tubes for people new to the 930 SPX like me. The NC +2 EXT magazine extension tube will need the XL "Cap" to be flush (relatively) with the end of the 18.5 barrel. Now, as of March 2013 (or so), NC has a new mag extension tube. The MXT. The +2 MXT tube will be about an inch and one half shorter than the end of the barrel and NC has "no plans" for making the longer caps for those trying to make it flush or there about to the end of the barrel. The threads on the new MXT are different from the older EXT tube/extension so the EXT caps will not fit the MXT because as stated previously, the threads are different.
Now I'm not sure if they stopped makig the EXT tubes or not, but it is my understanding that they have and they only have +3 and up left in stock, which makes the tube about an inch longer (or so) on the 930 SPX (with the +3 EXT).
Sorry if this is redundant, but I wanted to make sure I covered it all.

On another note, I finally got a chance to throw some lead in the 930 SPX downrange and it ran great. So I guess I will be sticking with the Choate for now.

Re: 930 SPX: short magazine cap?

gubi said:
I've got a sporting barrel for my 930 SPX, and when I take it out for shooting clays I'd like to run it without the magazine extension. I bought a spring and end cap from a standard 930 and...the cap doesn't fit. Too small.

I'm surprised, but I guess the mag tube on the SPX may be larger? Or did I just order the wrong part? Anyone know if a standard magazine end cap is available for the 930 SPX, or am I just doing something really dumb here?

Thanks for any help.

I am looking to do something similar. How long is the "standard" spring (the one that works with the cap/ no extension)? Maybe more simply...how far does the standard length spring extend past the built-in mag tube?

Thanks!

Re: Mossberg 930 Autoloader Mag Tube Assemblies and Extensio

I am looking for a tapered magazine spring in the "standard" (cap only, no extension). Where might I get one of those, and what length should it be?

Video not available?

I deleted the video because it was ten minutes long. I used 35" springs of both brands, loaded 7 round of Fiocchi 2 3/4" 00 buckshot and both allowed all 7. The Nordic fit very tight and had no room left for compression. The Wolff spring compressed slightly more and had about a half an inch left to push my thumb into the magazine. I trimmed both back to 28" and I use the Wolff in my 930, the NC in my 870. I have not had a FTF from the magazine of either shotgun with that length spring. I've actually gone as short as 24" with the NC and had 100% reliability for over a year. 28" is the sweet spot for me.

Back