• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Side Saddles/Shell Holders

m24shooter

.270 WIN
3 Gun Gear sidesaddles

Mark at 3GG said he is about to add a 5 and 6 round shell holder as option to his carrier lineup. He said that he expects to have this on the website sometime in the next 24 hours.
Just a heads up for anybody interested in them.

http://www.3gungear.com/

Re: 3 Gun Gear sidesaddles

That is exciting to hear, looks like a great setup to run.

I'm also looking to get a shotshell carrier (4-6 shells or more I guess)....looking for opinions.

I know that you can get shotshell carriers for forends (aimpro tri-rail forend) like here ->

http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/Shotgungear/Forend-Carrier-c26/

Or just get a side mount for the receiver (mesa, tacstar, etc).

However, I am worried about drilling into the receiver ( I don't like "undoable" modifications like drilling into the aluminum). Especially since I heard that doing so can adversely affect the reliability of an autoloader?

Any suggestions or thoughts? I did look through the 930 autoloader forum, and didn't see a dedicated topic for shotshell carriers.

Re: Shotshell carrier options (Mesa, tacstar, etc)

Another option is to add a shell holder to the stock. I think that is what I will be doing for my setup.

Yeah, that is another option. The only reason why I shy a bit from those is b/c of the long "travel" time during the reload.

In the 930 Accessories thread there is a pic of a modified TacStar carrier. There is also a thread on the 3 Gun Gear carrier. You also have the option of the 6 round TacStar carrier, and the Mesa carriers of various capacities.
Where do you get drilling into the reciever? None of the carriers require that.

I thought that the tacstar style required drilling a few holes...does it mount via tape instead?

Neither.
The Mesa and TacStar both use replacement trigger pins. These are bolts that pass throught he receiver and trigger group and engage threaded mounting plates.
The adhesive type is the 3 Gun Gear model.

Yeah.....you are right. I looked at the installation manuals and feel stupid now.

quick question....on this page ->

http://tacticalshotgunner.com/mossberg-shell-carriers-c-27_29.html

Theres the ->

Mesa Tactical 6 shot sureshell For Mossberg 930 shotguns. ~$60
and the ->
Receiver Mount Aluminum 6-Shot SureShell Carrier for Mossberg ~$55

Do you have to buy both or are they essentially one in the same? Does the "Mesa Tactical 6 shot sureshell For Mossberg 930 shotguns. " come with the mounting bracket or do you have to buy it separately?

If you have to buy both, its WAY more expensive than the tacstar options...

mackgriggs said:
quick question....on this page ->

http://tacticalshotgunner.com/mossberg-shell-carriers-c-27_29.html

Theres the ->

Mesa Tactical 6 shot sureshell For Mossberg 930 shotguns. ~$60
and the ->
Receiver Mount Aluminum 6-Shot SureShell Carrier for Mossberg ~$55

Do you have to buy both or are they essentially one in the same? Does the "Mesa Tactical 6 shot sureshell For Mossberg 930 shotguns. " come with the mounting bracket or do you have to buy it separately?

If you have to buy both, its WAY more expensive than the tacstar options...

Receiver Mount Aluminum 6-Shot SureShell Carrier for Mossberg:
The receiver mounting scheme of our receiver mount shotgun SureShell shotshell carriers for the Mossberg 500/590 substitutes a steel bolt for the trigger pin retained in place by a black oxide plated acorn nut. At the front of the mounting plate, custom retaining steel hardware is used with an elongated extractor screw and a machined key hole In the plate. The mounting plate was designed not to obscure the receiver serial number to make it easier for armorers to inventory their weapons. SureShell shotshell carriers for the Mossberg fit on the left side of the receiver only. You must use a tactical forend that does not significantly overlap the receiver, or a factory forend that is cut down appropriately. SureFire forends will work fine with no alterations.
^^^^
http://www.tacticalshotgunner.com/recei ... -p-64.html that sentence tells me that this one comes with one...

so with that said it looks like they are the same except one is aluminum and the other is not.
i could be wrong about the second, i would send the company a quick email and ask them the difference, but to me it looks like they are two separate units that have the same function, just made from different materials. ( some type of hard rubber and aluminum )

unless somebody can't point it out otherwise.

Looks like one is for the 930 and one is for the 500/590. Mesa carriers are aluminum, and come as complete kits. They don't make nylon carriers. The only ones that you have to mount to something else are the carriers that mount to stocks, or the short strips that mount on the right side of receivers.

cadjak said:
There are a number of negative reviews of the Tacstar on the Brownells site, http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=...ddle/Product/SIDE_SADDLE_SHELL_HOLDER#skugrid Most the problems were with screws pulling out. Has anyone here had a similar problem?
None of those reviews covered the 930 model.
The review that mentions the bolt shearing on the mounting plate I believe is one of the single pin models that doesn't conform to the outside shape of the shotgun.
The review that mentions the ejector screw coming out and the hole being stripped doesn't mention that the ejector screw actually screws into a small nut on the outside of the reciever that is held in place by the mounting plate. I don't know if that was missing or if the user didn't know that it was there. If the threads were stripped out on it, it would be a simple matter of requesting another nut. IIRC there are no actual threads on the mounting plate, so if he's looking for them there he's not going to find them.
I've used the TacStar on 590s, a 930, 1187, and 870s. Never had a problem with any of them, and this goes back to the 90s.
The Mesa unit has had a history of turning functional 930s into non-functional 930s. They are supposed to be issuing a fix. It was humorous to read that someone thought the TacStar 4 rounder was bulky and they were going to the Mesa because it was less bulky. I must not have seen that model.

m24shooter said:
cadjak said:
There are a number of negative reviews of the Tacstar on the Brownells site, http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=...ddle/Product/SIDE_SADDLE_SHELL_HOLDER#skugrid Most the problems were with screws pulling out. Has anyone here had a similar problem?
None of those reviews covered the 930 model.
The review that mentions the bolt shearing on the mounting plate I believe is one of the single pin models that doesn't conform to the outside shape of the shotgun.
The review that mentions the ejector screw coming out and the hole being stripped doesn't mention that the ejector screw actually screws into a small nut on the outside of the reciever that is held in place by the mounting plate. I don't know if that was missing or if the user didn't know that it was there. If the threads were stripped out on it, it would be a simple matter of requesting another nut. IIRC there are no actual threads on the mounting plate, so if he's looking for them there he's not going to find them.
I've used the TacStar on 590s, a 930, 1187, and 870s. Never had a problem with any of them, and this goes back to the 90s.
The Mesa unit has had a history of turning functional 930s into non-functional 930s. They are supposed to be issuing a fix. It was humorous to read that someone thought the TacStar 4 rounder was bulky and they were going to the Mesa because it was less bulky. I must not have seen that model.

M24,
I'm looking for an 8 shot carrier does TacStar make one for the 930???

Re: Mesa Tactical Shell Holder

Well I dont have one but Mesa Tactical makes top shelf parts. If you get it let us know how you like it

I have one for my 590 and it looks and feels great. Does the job...and haven't had any dropped shells so far

Sixty bucks!? Doesn't Tac-Star make one that lists for around $27.00?

Back