• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Sights

Poopypants said:
Interested in knowing if anyone has found some decent red dot reflex type sights that co-witness well with the lpa sights already on the spx?

What are some cheaper red dots that can handle the recoil of the shotgun, co-witness or not?
Bump for the fellas with the red dots.... what's worked for you guys? What can stand up to the recoil?

930 "Home Defense" rear sights?

Hey guys,

I tried my best to find if this was posted before but I couldn't find anything.

I have a Mossberg 930 "Home Defense" model purchased at Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mossberg-930- ... l/21570074

This model comes with a white dot front sight and I would like to install a low profile rear sight that works with it.

Everything I find requires to change the included front sight (which might be a good idea and what I will do in the long run) but for now I just wanted a cheap option that works with the included front sight.

I already installed a mag extension and tactical flashlight mount so I don't want to spend a lot of money on sights. I hope there is an option you guys are aware of and sorry if I'm reposting.

Thanks.

Gus - New Forum Member.

Re: 930 "Home Defense" rear sights?

Welcome to the forum from MI!!

I think anything you try to add to the rear will skew the sight plane too much unless you also increase the height of the front sight.

But someone else may be able to provide an option I am not aware of.

P.S. the 930 rocks!! Just mkae sure you clean it thoroughly, they like to put a lot of grease in them from the factory.

Welcome aboard. A couple questions for you: 1. Do you have any experience with shotguns? 2. Do you have training and/or experience fighting with a shotgun at close range (<30ft)? Have you taken your gun out at night to practice - without a flashlight?

Welcome to the forum!

Mike and Gunny both make strong points. The gun is new to you. How many rounds do you have through it?
You specify HD as the primary role for the gun. You say "I already installed a mag extension and tactical flashlight mount so I don't want to spend a lot of money on sights..."

Sights are typically a matching set system. You may not have to spend a dime to have the gun that you need. A lot of people knock down flying clay pigeons with a bead on the front of the barrel. Many sight systems will put you accurately on target at longer ranges (like with a slug at 50 yds.) but that's not what you are talking about. You want quick target acquisition at short distances. A SD shot in the home - even between rooms can be just a matter of feet. That bead will give you a good idea of which way the barrel is pointing very quickly and with practice that become intuitive.

Does the gun have a rib down the top of the barrel? It does not look like it from the image on the WM site. Is the receiver tapped and drilled?

I'd say hold off on any changes until you know the gun well.

AND I'd test that flashlight and mount with a few mags of 3" buck shot. If you are going to depend on a light it better BE dependable!!!! :mrgreen:

WOW - Thanks for responding and for the great questions.

My experience with shotguns is limited, I have only shot them at the gun range and only shot slugs. I have shot the Mossberg 500 and 590 as well as the Remington 870, all pump action so this will be my first time shooting an auto-loader!

As you read above, I have never shot this gun and I have never received tactical training with shotguns (or pistols for the matter) - Maybe it is that I'm not used to it yet or maybe the lack of training but at this point I think that if I hear a noise in the middle of the night I would probably go check it out with my pistol instead of my shotgun, just based on how comfortable I feel shooting my MK25, the fact that I have lasergrips and a 500 lumen light helps a lot making the choice!

Regarding the ribs question, I guess I have to answer "I don't know", what's a shotgun rib?

This? http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Weaver-Picati ... DAPITYR762

This just shows how far my knowledge of shotguns goes but we all have to start somewhere. I hope I can learn from you guys here as the time goes by.

One more question, if you had to choose on buying a sight combo or a laser mounted on the piccatini rail, which one would you choose?

I believe that for home defense a laser would be better because you don't have to align your sights on a target, you can just put the red dot on the target and pull the trigger but again I need to practice to get better so I will be shooting targets in the near future. What do you guys recommend to get skills? Some closed range shooting? Clays?

Regarding the suggestion about cleaning it up, what's the best way to go about that? Is there a difference between the clean up you do after shooting a couple hundred Ronda through it vs the "brand new shotgun" clean up?

I am actually shocked at the lack of oil or grease this shotgun came with, I can't see anything anywhere, my Sig Sauer MK25 came covered in oil, the Mossberg appears like it needs some!

Thanks again for all the help guys!!!

Gus, we try to help. I'm going to suggest that you read this thread on technique: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=6925&p=90926&hilit=high+tuck#p90926

And also these two from another site. They both deal with HD using a shotgun, and are from very reputable sources. Of course, nothing can substitute for formal training (which can be very expensive), but this ought to give you an idea of what it entails.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu61.htm

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu83.htm

As my personal preference, I don't like lights - they tell the other guy exactly where he should shoot - assuming he's armed. And regular sights in the dark are useless - this from personal experience - so you need to learn to aim with your body, not your eyes trying to find a target thru a tiny aperture in the dark. In a emergency you won't have time to fool around with shouldering the weapon and trying to get a sight picture. That's where the first link comes in.

Gene,

Thanks again for the great info and more importantly for your service.

I'll review the info but I agree with you on the sights in a HD situation, I just turned all lights off and the white dot from the factory was completely invisible. I have to learn how to aim with my body as you mentioned!

Gus,

Welcome to the forum !

As has already been discussed, if you add a rear sight, you'll have to do something about the front sight.

XS sights makes the front and rear sights used on the 930 SPX Blackwater edition. Putting the rear XS sight on your gun would be a simple 5 minute job. The front sight would not be so simple. It is silver soldered (or maybe welded, I don't know for sure) to the barrel.

However, there MAY be some good news. XS also makes a "Banded Front Sight" / "Ghost ring rear sight" for the Remington shotguns, with a Tritium front bead. The combination is a quick install.

I bet that they can help you with your need.

Here is a link to a Brownell's listing for a banded front sight, just so you can see what I'll talking about...

http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-parts/ ... OTA5NTMyS0

I suggest that you contact XS Sight Systems, and see if they have what you need.

http://xssights.com/

Good Luck. Please let us know what you find out.

Duane

I am looking for replacement sights for my 930 turkey 24"vr barrel..Has anyone here tried the Truglo Pro magnum Gobble Dots ?? I want a adjustable for slug use but real 'idiot proof' if I drop or bang the barrel..A few reviews mentioned breaking the fiber optical front tube that then had to be replaced.It has to be a vent rib mounted but I really want a good one that will stand up and STAY sighted in.If I can find one thats easy to see in low light conditions so much the better.Thanks all!

930SPX sight question

My new SPX front sight has a very slight cant to it. When I mean slight, when I set the 930 upside down on a granite surface, I can rock it back and forth a bit instead of sitting solid on all 4 sight ears. The cant is not obvious looking through the sight picture.

I can get the wiggle out of it completely by putting a small shim under one side of the rear sight.

Is this acceptable to maintain proper POI, or is it better to adjust the windage?

Re: 930SPX sight question

If you can establish a proper sight plane using either method, then which you use is your call...

Back