• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Stock Options

Most of the photos in the review show the stock fully collapsed. Here's one...

It may look extended, but it's not. That's as far in as it goes. The LOP with the factory stock measures 14.5". The Raven stock, when fully collapsed is only .5" shorter at 14"...
Thanks a lot Lazy. I was thinking of getting that. Not now. One day on this forum and you guys have been a great help. Thanks again.

I haven't been on this forum in a year or more, but for those who are looking for a reduced LOP, in a traditional (non pistol grip) stock, it can be done.
I bought the Monte Carlo stock, and cut about an inch an a half off the end of it.
image.jpg1_zpsxt1uj8aq.jpg

Patton, I am also 5'7", so this made a huge difference for me.

Do you mind me asking where you purchased that one? I think I'd like it.............

urbino.jpg

Took the new Urbino out today. Function was flawless for 150 rounds except for some ammo related problems. Ammo was 3 dram birdshot and 4 different kinds of buckshot.

The problems I had were fte problems with Spartan buckshot but not the other 4 brands I used so that problem is on the load.

The stock feels great. The shorter length is perfect.

The limbsaver works as advertised.

I wound up lowering the cheek riser to keep from getting smacked in the cheekbone.

If I had any complaint it would be that the pistol grip is very wide and flat on the back. I'd prefer a more natural rounded shape.

But that's a pretty small nit I'm picking. So 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

I haven't been on this forum in a year or more, but for those who are looking for a reduced LOP, in a traditional (non pistol grip) stock, it can be done.
I bought the Monte Carlo stock, and cut about an inch an a half off the end of it.
image.jpg1_zpsxt1uj8aq.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsqoggasxh.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsvvz3smty.jpg

image.jpg4_zpshf3delor.jpg

Patton, I am also 5'7", so this made a huge difference for me.
How did you shorten the recoil tube inside the stock?

Lemme ask you fellers something ..........
I just saw a Boyd's Rep. doing a video where he shows how a hardwood stock absorbs about 20% MORE of felt recoil then the standard plastic one !
Maybe even "actual recoil" as he uses a machine that measures the recoil force at the butt end .
Anyhow, has anyone been able to make the Boyd's hardwood stock work on their 930 ?

Lemme ask you fellers something ..........
I just saw a Boyd's Rep. doing a video where he shows how a hardwood stock absorbs about 20% MORE of felt recoil then the standard plastic one !
Maybe even "actual recoil" as he uses a machine that measures the recoil force at the butt end .
Anyhow, has anyone been able to make the Boyd's hardwood stock work on their 930 ?
Probably due to the weight of the wood vs plastic/polymer.

I thought Boyds now had a stock specifically for the 930.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAStock?Make=38&Model=B77&Action=2N

Last edited:
Most of the photos in the review show the stock fully collapsed. Here's one...

It may look extended, but it's not. That's as far in as it goes. The LOP with the factory stock measures 14.5". The Raven stock, when fully collapsed is only .5" shorter at 14"...
Sure wish I could find one of those ATI stocks....my luck they discontinued it before I got my 930

So I wound up getting the Mesa Tactical and love it. Recoil is a little less [5% maybe], but the stock itself is so much better suited for the shotgun and the side carrier that fits on it will be next up. I didn't think I would care about the cheek riser, but I have found it useful and will be leaving it on to hold the shot carrier.

Custom fit my butt ! had to spend over an hour grinding down and fitting the forearm . I cracked it on the bottom and let the dremmel get away from me and made a real nice skid mark on one side . I had to put the stock in a vice and had to pry off the butt pad they somehow glued to the walnut .And the extra 15$ I spent for the "deluxe" Hi-shine finish was a waste of money ...... looks like a third grader applied the clear coat . Runs and missed areas as well as too many nicks and scratches for a brand new stock .
Overall I give Boyd's a "D" on this one . And yes - I'm sure I could have returned it - on my time and my dime

A few weeks ago, I picked up a used 930 field model w/ a 28" VR for $250 plus $25 for shipping. I took it apart to clean & inspect it and there are no signs of appreciable wear. I've not shot it yet, but I'm really looking forward to see how it shoots.
Unfortunately, when I inspected it, I found that a screw hole for the recoil pad is badly stripped out.

If anyone has upgraded their butt stock and has a factory synthetic butt stock they'd be willing to part with, please let me know. Thanks

So I think i've done a thorough enough review of this thread before asking this question but if it has already been asked/answered than please let me know.

I own a 930 SPX w/ the pistol grip and would like to get a non-pistol grip stock to hunt with. The monte carlo stock or monte carlo slugster stock are NO WHERE TO BE FOUND on the internet or from Mossberg so my question is two fold:

1) Are any of the other mossberg shotgun stocks compatible with a 930 SPX, and
2) If anyone has a non-pistol grip factory synthetic butt stock let me know, i'm in the market.

Flaman - you want the "blue" Patrick Flannigan style buttstock and fore arm ?

There are great people and great companies left in this world!!!

Lefty was nice enough to offer me a Flannigan stock for free; he's a class act guy! Believe it or not, I didn't need it, because I called Mossberg and told them that the "great deal" 930 Field model I bought off of Gunbroker for $250 had a stripped stock (where the butt-pad screws into). And... yes, I left negative info on the seller who knowingly sold it to me this way-without disclosing the damage. Anyway... I sent my entire stock set back to Mossberg and they sent me a brand new stock set- including a new forearm, free of charge!!! They even sent a new butt-pad, butt-pad screws and shim. I'm very impressed with Mossberg's customer service and now I love my new 930.

Back