• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 SPX Gas Spring Install Issues...

Re: 930 SPX gas seal ring??!!

What did you use to get it back together? JW

Two guys, a ghetto made stick that we used to push down on the threaded metal ring but were still able to turn it because we didn't cover the notches, two screwdrivers, and time. So far I found this to be the best combination because the stick doesn't scratch the gun and the screwdrivers can easily be controlled, just be careful not to crossthread or strip the notches.

Btw I love you for taking your 930 apart, no homo. ;)

I just went through the same problem with the "gas seal ring" .
Thanks for the post because I couldn't even get a good answer from Mossberg tech support.

To get it back together I used a C-clamp and a small block of Delrin (Polyoxymethylene) "white slippery plastic that lots of paintball gun bolts and large truck bushings are made of". Also used as gun smithing bench block material.

Just clamp it all together with the Delrin against the nut with two notches and compress it until the threads can be started. The Delrin allows the nut to turn under pressure without friction damage. To turn it I just used a thin screwdriver, stuck it in one of the notches and turned.

Marc,
BC Canada

I like your method of using a clamp and a delrin spacer because without doing something as you described it takes quite a bit of force to put it back together.

Yup,

Works great. I think I might make a tool for it if I intend to do this again.
Probably a pipe of the same diameter as the nut and fashion a socket out of it.
I will utilize a cheap socket wrench on it that has a free turning back end, so i can apply the clamp and then just ratchet away.

I will post pictures when done.

Thanks

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Gas Piston Springs: Black, Blue, Red

This is a thread to discuss the Mossberg 930 Autoloader gas piston springs: black, blue or red...

Re: Mossberg 930 Autoloader Gas Piston Springs: Black, Blue,

!!!!!!!!THANK YOU!!!!!!! This is exactly what I needed to see, really interested to see what exactly te difference is, was thinking maybe the newer is lighter or what exactly? Thank's, LOVE THIS FORUM!!!
Stephen

The only difference would be that each spring represented a different model. For example the yellow spring was for model 935, red is for the standard field model 930, and blue is for the tactical 930. But now all models have been calibrated with the same spring which is now the blue one.

I honestly thought it might be a 'placebo' effect on better performance w/light loads and the 'new' red spring! Guess I was right! Okay, one issue down now PEASE LET FRONT SIGHT BE ON for long distance 'sluggetry'!! THANK YOU EDNA!!!!!
Stephen

I have three SPX barrels. The first one from 2007 has the blue spring. Thin profile, low sight, no pedestal.
The next one is a heavy profile, low sight, no pedestal. It has a black spring. I believe it was a 2009 or 2010 production barrel.
The last one is a heavy profile, tall sight. It has a red spring.
Mike at Aimpro indicated that the blues were the original springs, and that the blacks were an intermediate spring, with the red being current production that allowed the use of lighter rounds that a lot of people were complaining about which wouldn't cycle the shotgun with the heavier blue spring.
He also indicated that most of the SPX barrels that he's getting from OFM are now being sent with the red springs, although they still get some black ones.

hello edna. i see from other forums you work for mossberg. thanks for the clarification on the springs.

ninjaflood said:

I tried to hold the ring up so you can see it. There are two small circular indentations on the inside of the ring and it is kinda sloped on the outside. I put it in the back afterwards but im wondering if I put it in the wrong side.

That ring is part of the piston itself. The gas seal ring is now built into the barrel lug itself. The older models had the removable seal rings and the newer models, like the SPX, have it built in. That ring is the outer ring. If that breaks beyond the point that it cannot be re-tightened around the piston, then you probably have to purchase a new gas piston because I don't think Mossberg sells that ring individually, as it's part of the complete piston assembly itself. Call Mossberg with your serial number and find out. ;)

Its great to hear that its now one piece!

OK, digging this back up as it has the best photos! The gas seal ring in your photos, behind the large spring, should you be able to move it around easily with your finger, as in pretty much NO pressure on it at all, just touching it with my fingernail I can slide it back and forth. I would think that the spring would have some serious pressure on this and you shouldn't be able to more the seal ring very easily... I really need to take the spring out anyways, as there is still a burr on the very narrow end coil and that is whats causing the scoring now on this 2nd mag tube. I have been not been able to get the cap to even BUDGE to unscrew at all so far... ughhh... I was using a foreend wrench for my Remington 870, it fit in the notches perfect, but still can't get this to budge...

:?:
As seen in the pics, during reassembly, the little seal ring next to the spring has a slight bevel or chanfer to it. When I reassemble should this bevel face toward the muzzle or should the bevel face the action? I can't seem to tell from the pics alone. Currently the bevel side is installed facing the muzzle.

My mossy works great with 3 inch mags but suffers terribly with target ammo. I have tryed several diff kinds of low brass but always have the same problems. Usually the bolt fails to open and eject the spend round so I'm starting to think this is not normal. I have stripped the gun a couple times and give her a thourough cleaning/oiling. I understand there may be a break-in time, which I had hoped would be accomplished with a couple hundred rounds of the 3 inch mags. Federal target loads seem to work best with only 5-7 failers per 25 rnds. Can anyone suggest what may be the problem to this issue. :(

Here is a video, I believe it was posted here before:

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oW1wJis9LY

DHonovich said:
This is what I did...(shade tree mechanic wanna be).. With a 3/8 ratchet and a six point 3/4 inch craftsman socket...The socket will sink into....not over... the retainer nut about a half inch, enough to pressure the spring and nut back onto the barrlel and tighten it bout 75%, this will require a good bit of downward pressure.(remove socket). you will then slide the barrel back over mag tube to properly line up the ring, spring and nut and barrel into proper position. Thats the hard part, but not really difficult . I use a spanner wrench to complete the nut tightening but there are a variety of other methods. Please don't use a pair of pliers or channel locks for this!!! :? If anyone would like to see this in action, I will make and post a vid on utube, just ask. Hope this isn't too confusing

john1 said:
DHonovich said:
This is what I did...(shade tree mechanic wanna be).. With a 3/8 ratchet and a six point 3/4 inch craftsman socket...The socket will sink into....not over... the retainer nut about a half inch, enough to pressure the spring and nut back onto the barrlel and tighten it bout 75%, this will require a good bit of downward pressure.(remove socket). you will then slide the barrel back over mag tube to properly line up the ring, spring and nut and barrel into proper position. Thats the hard part, but not really difficult . I use a spanner wrench to complete the nut tightening but there are a variety of other methods. Please don't use a pair of pliers or channel locks for this!!! :? If anyone would like to see this in action, I will make and post a vid on utube, just ask. Hope this isn't too confusing

Yes sir, video speaks volumes!

john1 said:

:?:
As seen in the pics, during reassembly, the little seal ring next to the spring has a slight bevel or chanfer to it. When I reassemble should this bevel face toward the muzzle or should the bevel face the action? I can't seem to tell from the pics alone. Currently the bevel side is installed facing the muzzle.
Problem solved....The little seal ring under the spring must be installed with the bevel facing the action. Not towards the muzzle.. I can now fire any ammo, even the cheap stuff. My mossy was assembled wrong at the factory, and I suspect that mine is not the only one.

My mossy works great with 3 inch mags but suffers terribly with target ammo. I have tryed several diff kinds of low brass but always have the same problems. Usually the bolt fails to open and eject the spend round so I'm starting to think this is not normal. I have stripped the gun a couple times and give her a thourough cleaning/oiling. I understand there may be a break-in time, which I had hoped would be accomplished with a couple hundred rounds of the 3 inch mags. Federal target loads seem to work best with only 5-7 failers per 25 rnds. Can anyone suggest what may be the problem to this issue. :(

Back